Sony 1000x mark ii - huzzah!
Feb 13, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #108 of 198
Can an owner please confirm something for me, I have purchased a pair and have been testing various settings and I've just noticed that with all NC turned off (including ambient) the sound over BT is totally flat and echo-y and the sound stage collapses.

I'm assuming this is not normal.

Please can someone comment on the difference with NC on and off before I go back to the shop with them.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #109 of 198
Can an owner please confirm something for me, I have purchased a pair and have been testing various settings and I've just noticed that with all NC turned off (including ambient) the sound over BT is totally flat and echo-y and the sound stage collapses.

What source are you using?

I didn't hear much of a difference when switching NC off with BT. The NC helps produce a more black background. I am using a LG V20.

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #110 of 198
I'm also using the WH1000XM2's with the LG V20 but I tend to switch off the active noise cancelling and ambient mode - I don't bother using the cable either because I honestly can't really hear any improvement in sound quality. I suspect that the amount of sound processing taking place when the electronics are active effectively cancels out any possible improvement from the source. Certainly when using the cable with the v20, cycling between the hifi mode and normal mode doesn't appear to really make any difference.
Luckily I really like the sound characteristics of the Sony and they are rapidly becoming my favourite headphone. Whilst hey may not be as accurate as the Sennheiser HD598sr, they're more fun to listen to in my opinion.

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #112 of 198
I also noticed this behavior when I first got the headphones. Depending on what I'm listening, switching quickly between NC on and off (skipping ambient mode) there is a change, especially on the low end. Somewhere I saw some response plots for the MDR-1000 operating over wireless with ANC on and off and there was definitely a drop off. WH-1000 may have similar response?

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #113 of 198

I'm assuming this is not normal.

Please can someone comment on the difference with NC on and off before I go back to the shop with them.

Yes, this is normal behavior, was also present on the 1000x. Did some research over a year ago to find out why - apparently when the NC is turned ON, the S-Master HX amp is fully engaged and it also correlates with the headphones "concentrating" the sound on your ear (especially after you go through the optimization process.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #114 of 198
Here's my short observations of this headphone after using the 1000x for 1,5 years, and comparing it to the B&W PX before deciding which to buy:

vs 1000X (Mark I):

- outer ear cups made of a more rubbery material which is more resistant to scratches, and band color changed to a more bright gunmetal finish (big pluses)
- obviously, the nice app that shows you among other things battery status
- slightly lower white noise and possibly better NC performance vs high-note noses (snapping my fingers came in quieter on the M2).
- sound: yes, I did an A/B test and there is a quite important difference: the sound is 10-15% louder, the mids are a bit more forward, bass is a tiny bit punchier and highs sparkle a bit more. Basically an overall improvement on the sound, with the exact same signature (and drivers - so it's probably an enhanced AMP).
- just as comfortable
- ~4h more battery time

vs B&W PX:

- cheaper :))
- B&W has better materials, looks more premium.
- Sound: B&W has better sound with NC off (vs 1000X with NC off) - basically a slightly thinner, but more accurate and wide sound - HOWEVER, comparing them both with NC ON - 1000XM2 get an over all sound boost performance vs with NC off, while the B&W PX become quite noticeably more "closed" and compressed with NC ON - in short, PX has the potential of sounding better with NC Off (or wired, used with a high end dac or something) - but for their purpose, BT headsets with NC ON - 1000X sounds noticeably better.
- Noise cancelling is pretty much better on the Sonys in all aspects - but the B&W have very little white noise
- Comfort: B&W have too much clamping force and i can feel a sore spot on the top of my head starting to form after 10 minutes.

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #115 of 198
So on a droid with APTX-HD or LDAC wirless vs wired is probably not worrying about.

I wonder though if wired mode (but powered on) would sound better than the limited AAC bluetooth of the iPhone?

Also when powered on I assume the headphones take over the processing so a DAC becomes irrelevant?

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #116 of 198
I found when wired and switchng the hifi dac on and off on the v20 didn't make any significant difference in sound quality. Do the same thing with any other wired headphones in my collection and the difference is chalk and cheese.

I love the sound of these headphones and find myself wearing them more and more.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #117 of 198
I have tried these and was blown away by the sound quality over the Bose QC35. I've heard the B&W beats them wired but what's the point. Wireless with NC the B&W sounds worse and has worse NR. There are some saying there are no issues with these yet. There have been, and from what is being said, the design is the same, the plastic is slightly better. So cracks in the arms near where they bend happen, they may just take longer. IMO they need to abandon this model if that is the case, make a whole new one with the same quality sound and NR, bigger ear cups, and, a more durable head band.

That said, MassDrop has them for sale full price with $100 off at checkout. I have to wonder if that's to clear stock for a new version. One that also addresses NR turning off, after a few minutes, without it being wired up, or using BT. You still can't just run these continually with only NR which is a shame. They fix those things and bring wired sound quality to the quality of the the BT with NR sound (which is probably the best sound you'll get from any BT NR headphone in BT NR mode) they will have something incredible. I mean, these sound better than the MDR-1A and compete with the MDR-Z7 and Z1A.

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #118 of 198
You still can't just run these continually with only NR which is a shame
It's not hard to create a 24 hours long silent MP3, though.

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #119 of 198
For whatever reason I have never had this problem. I can turn on the phones and have NC for hours. Of course It auto-connects to my phone because they are synced. If I just turn the phones on they shut off after a few minutes if there is no BT connection made.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back