Sony 1000x mark ii - huzzah!
Jan 4, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #91 of 198
So far I've been satisfied with this product. The only really annoying thing is that it's pretty much impossible to wear them on your neck. I understand that you can activate ambient sound, voice focus it and everything but still... there are times where you'd seem simply rude by not taking them off. And being forced to carry them in hand is annoying.

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #92 of 198
Guys I am considering buying it however I wanted to know how’s it sound quality with connected wired and ANC On ?

Does the sound quality improves considerably compared to wireless Bluetooth mode ?

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #93 of 198
I've recently purchased a set of these (review coming soon) and I've found that I tend to listen to them with the ANC switched off most of the time as I don't need it when I'm home. I have experimented with the different options though and the difference in quality between wired and wireless is pretty small. There's slightly improved treble and that's about it. In fact given that the headphones have to be powered up in order to get the best sound quality even when wired I tend to just use them wirelessly. I am using them with APt-X HD though.

I love them. Hoping desperately that they're better made than the previous model although I've not actually heard of any problems with the new model and I'm sure news would have come through by now if this design flaw was still prevelant. In all fairness and looking at the way they fold up into the case I suspect that most of the earlier models were broken by trying to put them in the case the wrong way round.

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #94 of 198
I have recently purchased the sony wh-1000xm2 NC headphones and loving them so far. There is also a companion app which works with these headphones. Inside this app theres the ability to turn DSEE HX on or off.

I have played around with this and the only difference i can hear is that the volume seems lower with it set to ON.

Has anyone else had any experience with this feature? apparently its supposed to enhance the quality of compresses files to hear Hi-Res. Do y'all have it enabled?

Thanks

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #95 of 198
apparently its supposed to enhance the quality of compresses files to hear Hi-Res. Do y'all have it enabled?
Personally, I always leave it activated.

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #96 of 198
I have recently purchased the sony wh-1000xm2 NC headphones and loving them so far. There is also a companion app which works with these headphones. Inside this app theres the ability to turn DSEE HX on or off.

I have played around with this and the only difference i can hear is that the volume seems lower with it set to ON.

Has anyone else had any experience with this feature? apparently its supposed to enhance the quality of compresses files to hear Hi-Res. Do y'all have it enabled?

Thanks
I don't notice any difference so I leave it off

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #97 of 198
Hi all, i bought these and i´m enjoying them but i want more. I have an iphone SE so i have "only" AAC. Today i tested connected to my old friend sansa clip+ and flac files and was WOW!

Can anyone tell me if there's this big difference using LDAC compared with cable? I Ask this, because i will buy the nw-a35 if LDAC is similar to cable on a decent player using decent audio files.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #98 of 198
I cannot comment on the LDAC side of things but my LG V20 supports APTx HD and the new Sony's work great in this mode. I honestly think any differences between wired and wireless are pretty much insignificant.

Hopefully I'm the fullness of time the V20 will get an Oreo update and I will get the chance to review out this particular codec.

Definitely loving these headphones though and they're actually getting more comparable as tine goes on.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #99 of 198
I cannot comment on the LDAC side of things but my LG V20 supports APTx HD and the new Sony's work great in this mode. I honestly think any differences between wired and wireless are pretty much insignificant.

Hopefully I'm the fullness of time the V20 will get an Oreo update and I will get the chance to review out this particular codec.

Definitely loving these headphones though and they're actually getting more comparable as tine goes on.

The quality of AAC through iphone SE isn't 100% bad but i wonder how ldac compares ... another question i have is if i'm using apple music for example and bluetooth connection do i miss anything in SQ wise? with LDAC and apple music i won't gain any quality in the end since LDAC/APTX HD is only needed for lossless files comparing with iphone's AAC BT correct?

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #100 of 198
The quality of AAC through iphone SE isn't 100% bad but i wonder how ldac compares ... another question i have is if i'm using apple music for example and bluetooth connection do i miss anything in SQ wise? with LDAC and apple music i won't gain any quality in the end since LDAC/APTX HD is only needed for lossless files comparing with iphone's AAC BT correct?
No, uncorrect. All evidence points to iOS needing anyway to mix the music with the system sounds (think notifications, ringtones, etc.). To do that, it must decode the AAC files coming from Apple Music and then, after mixing, re-encoding them in AAC to send to the headphones. If this second process happened with LDAC, you'd theoretically gain in quality, as LDAC has so much more bandwidth available. LDAC streams at 990kbps (when prioritizing quality, I do that and I've yet to experience a drop in connection during normal use, with a Nexus 6P), while iOS streams AAC at 256kbps.

While true that AAC at 256kbps is perceptually transparent for the grand, grand majority of users, in your case you'd be transcoding from a lossy format. Music was already compressed when coming from Apple Music, you decode it and then re-encode it. In that case, with LDAC, you have so much more bandwidth that, theoretically at least, you might be gaining something in quality.

Personally I think that, given that you are transcoding only once, you are fine with your phone. Online you can find tests that expose the limits of multiple transcoding, after many passes it gets really bad. But not after one pass, I think.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #101 of 198
id like to bid farewell to this topic and the fine folks browsing it - thanks for all your info and help. i dont want to reiterate my mishaps, its all here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-1000x-mark-ii-huzzah.859433/page-5#post-13930295
two wh-1000xm2s bought, two sent back, my bad decision to buy a sony with my luck...
i loved the sony for the sq, the anc and the functionality but i couldnt tempt my (bad) luck for the third time, i went with the b&w px.
anyway, have fun, if it works, its great!
unsubscribed.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #102 of 198
No, uncorrect. All evidence points to iOS needing anyway to mix the music with the system sounds (think notifications, ringtones, etc.). To do that, it must decode the AAC files coming from Apple Music and then, after mixing, re-encoding them in AAC to send to the headphones. If this second process happened with LDAC, you'd theoretically gain in quality, as LDAC has so much more bandwidth available. LDAC streams at 990kbps (when prioritizing quality, I do that and I've yet to experience a drop in connection during normal use, with a Nexus 6P), while iOS streams AAC at 256kbps.

While true that AAC at 256kbps is perceptually transparent for the grand, grand majority of users, in your case you'd be transcoding from a lossy format. Music was already compressed when coming from Apple Music, you decode it and then re-encode it. In that case, with LDAC, you have so much more bandwidth that, theoretically at least, you might be gaining something in quality.

Personally I think that, given that you are transcoding only once, you are fine with your phone. Online you can find tests that expose the limits of multiple transcoding, after many passes it gets really bad. But not after one pass, I think.
Thank for the help. Actually with spotify on an iphone through bluetooth i notice loss in quality at high frequencies mostly. case scenario different for apple music. If i was to buy nw-a35 it doesnt have streaming music service so i would play my library flac and that"s quite small. But if the quality in the end is near via cable i buy a35.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #103 of 198
Been using these for a couple months now with an iPhone 8 Plus, and am really enjoying them. Like I’ve said before, they need EQ with the Sony headphones app to fit my style (less bass, more treble), but I really like them. I’m sitting at home with my HD650 right next to me but instead am using the sony’s. Not saying they are better than the HD650, but sometimes I just like the simplicity of using my phone and Bluetooth, instead of my laptop and wires.

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #104 of 198
I bought the QC25's at first due to them being on sale, but the feeling of pressure was so overwhelming I had to return them. I'm not getting this at all with the Sonys but I do find the Bluetooth interference annoying. Others have mentioned in this thread, sounds like a mosquito in my right ear. You can hear it playing a low volume and even more of you pause, then after a few seconds go away assumingly as it stops transmitting. It also doesn't happen when wired.
It's kinda bumming they couldn't shield better against this considering that ANC is the main reason why people get these, and I have no desire to replace one sound for another. Would be like building a sound proof wall to block out traffic noise only to find that the walls where emitting smooth jazz.... x'(

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #105 of 198
I've never tried this kind of headphones. When you use it passive with wired mode, no battery is needed, right?
Can I use it with my Sony Xperia Z5 compact, with Bluetooth 4.1 version?
Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back