Sony 1000x mark ii - huzzah!
Dec 3, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #61 of 198
Yeah just wondering if Bose QC35 II or B&W PX are gonna be a better long term fit.

The volume on an iPhone 8 Plus/X is noticeably lower than on an MBP.

What exact settings are you using in the app?
The B&W PX uses the same codecs (aptX HD, AAC, SBC) so, no. The 1000xM2 sound fine through my iPhone 8. I prefer them to the PX.

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #63 of 198
The Bose QC35 only support SBC and AAC - These are the only codecs which iPhones support. If you plan to get a better phone one day, then the Sonys of B&Ws will allow you to take advantage of aptX or aptX HD. Android Oreo will include support for Sony's proprietary LDAC codec, but I guess it will be up to the individual manufactures to decide whether to support it in their devices.

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #64 of 198
It's highly arguable that AAC at 256kbps could be less transparent than aptX HD or LDAC. AAC is a perfectly tuned codec, with years in the field allowing lots of tuning. I wouldn't be too bothered by simple numbers. For most people transparency is reached at 192kbps. Now, in our use case we're often talking about transcoding. But it's a single transcode, not multiple ones.

I'm saying this by using Sony 1000XM2 with a rooted Nexus 6P. So I can switch at will between aptX, aptX HD, LDAC or SBC. I'm not an iPhone user trying to "defend" the product I use. But AAC is a good codec, really.

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #65 of 198
Question for owners of these headphones:

I would spend most of my time using these in an office environment and I therefore have a few, quite specific requirements and I'd be interested to hear the feedback of people using them:
  1. When paired to a laptop (to use with VoIP - e.g. Google Meet, Hangouts, Skype etc.) what is the microphone audio quality like - i.e. how clearly can I be heard by the other person?
  2. Do the headphones apply background noise cancelling to the external microphone feed to eliminate background office noise from the call?
  3. When on a call (either VoIP or a normal HFP call to a phone), is your own voice routed into your ears so that you can "hear yourself" during a call? (This is vital for maintaining normal speech volume when talking to others!)
For reference, I use a Microsoft LX6000 headset today. It wouldn't pass muster with you guys for audio quality *but* it does a few things well, namely that in a noisy office there is zero background audio pickup on the microphone and my own voice is routed into the earphones. It's amazing how few headsets do a really good job of this and while I'd love to replace the LX6000s, I'm not confident that the Sonys will be as good in this area.

Thanks for any feedback you have.

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #66 of 198
Fair play really, just the volume is a tad on the low side when theyre driven via an iPhone 8 or X.

I can only guess its the AAC codec spec that sony have set or a max limit the iPhone sends at (even though other wireless headphones using AAC seem louder).

Using aptX from a MBP Pro they are noticeably louder - not ear deafeningly loud but definitely loud enough.

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #67 of 198
It’s strange to me that people keep mentioning low volume with Apple devices. On my 8+ I never have the volume past half and it’s always been plenty loud.

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #68 of 198
I have only tried it on an X to be fair - I am struggling to see how the 8 Plus will be any different - if its AAC codec which it will be then it will be the same volume level.

Will try it on a OnePlus 5T at one point this week though as that has aptX HD - no LDAC yet though.

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #69 of 198
I have only tried it on an X to be fair - I am struggling to see how the 8 Plus will be any different - if its AAC codec which it will be then it will be the same volume level.

Will try it on a OnePlus 5T at one point this week though as that has aptX HD - no LDAC yet though.

Let me know if you notice any difference

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #72 of 198
What I've noticed is that the headband doesn't extend enough to make wearing them on your neck comfortable. Which seems minor but for portable use it's not. Nothing I can't live with but worth mentioning in my opinion.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #73 of 198
I don't suggest these headphones for the iPhone. The 1000x line is meant to use APTX or Ldac. Not SBC.

That's not correct. They also use AAC. I'm quite sure Sony would disagree that they are not "meant" for iPhones.
AAC is as good as AptX and very few people will use them with AptX HD or LDAC. Sony wouldn't have a market for people who only use those last two.
LDAC is problematic for lots of reason to the point it doesn't really count right now.
That leaves AptXHD which in practical use is a minor improvement to AptX. I sure can't hear the difference and i can pass the NPR listening test for codecs pretty easily.
In any event ty telling the difference between AAC on the Sony's and AptXHD or LDAC. There is much more to this than bandwidth. It has a lot to do with he quality of the codec too as well as the source and the sender and receiver.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/03/the-inconvenient-truth-about-bluetooth-audio/

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #74 of 198
owners, please respond, even if you have not encountered the problem.
for christmas i got a pair of these - actually i chose them over the bose.

i was quite happy with this device but after 2 days i experienced some static on the left side. not constant white noise but something you hear from your oldschooley radio when you turn your finder knob, hissing with short pauses. if you had rf headphones (not KLEER) and went out of range you may have some idea. only with anc switched on, since it has started its present for about 60-70% of listening time.
-if i put it on backwards (l>r, r>l) its on the right side, so its not my ear (my first thought as i wore them for many hours)
-its present with another source (pc>phone)
-its present with no source
-its present when connecting through cable (no bt communication)
-switching on/off doesnt help
-neither does recalibrating anc.

i returned the item, thought to be faulty, ordered a new one (actually i made my poor family to do it) and after a day it started again - now on the right side.
your toughts?
two faulty specimens (worst luck)?
or is there something i can do (now i experiment with volume, cant think of anything else)?
thanks in advance,
g

Dec 23, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #75 of 198
I just got these to use with my new iPhone 8 plus. So far I’m liking them a lot. With the headphones app on the App Store the user adjustable EQ lets me dial them in to sound however I want them to sound. I have them set to sound somewhat neutral, but still fun for on the go. Bass is set at 0 to -2 depending on my mood, and I have the mids boosted a hair, and the top end boosted a fair amount. The noise canceling is sweet, and comfort is great as well.

I also noticed that boosting the mid a little bit and the highs especially makes everything sound much better. High end is a little too recessed IMO. Curious what others are doing with EQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back