Sony 1000x mark ii - huzzah!
Nov 30, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #46 of 198
What quality are these streaming at on iPhone X? SBC? Anyone know the bitrate?

The volume seems a bit on the low side on them through the iPhone - anyone else get that?

Also a 2017 MBP can that stream at anything above aptX or SBC?

Thanks

264kbps AAC. You can check this in Sony’s Connected app.

Gets more than loud enough on iPhone for me.

A MBP will also stream AAC. It’s capable of aptX but AAC is a superior codec. Avoid SBC as it is just standard Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #47 of 198
264kbps AAC. You can check this in Sony’s Connected app.

Gets more loud enough on iPhone for me.

A MBP will also stream AAC. It’s capable of aptX but AAC is a superior codec. Avoid SBC as it is just standard Bluetooth.

aptX should be a superior codec to AAC. Where AAC may have an advantage is if you play a 264kbps AAC source file and it can be sent over bluetooth without transcoding - Similar to the concept of TrFO in the mobile world.

There are several use cases, and playing a 264kbps AAC source file seems to be the only one where AAC over bluetooth would be preferred. The other cases are:
-The source is lossless: Audio can be transcoded directly to AAC or aptX. aptX is a superior codec, so best to use it.
-The source is AAC any other bit rate than 264kbps, it may be possible to transcode to 264kbps (for bluetooth) in code domain to minimise loss of quality, but I doubt that Apple do this. It's probably transcoded to LPCM first and then to the target codec/rate. aptX is a superior codec, so best to use it.
-The source is some other lossy format: Will have to be transcoded to LPCM first and then to the target codec/rate. aptX is a superior codec, so best to use it.

-Mark.

Nov 30, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #48 of 198
I'm using Spotify which is Ogg at 320kbps I think?

Mine don't sound *that* loud to me? Are you on an iPhone as well?

Haven't played with settings yet think DSEE was on and equaliser was off. Not sure.

Nov 30, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #49 of 198
Loving my M2's wired, so much so that I might put my MDR-Z1R's for sale. I'd rather have one single Headphone that does it all, commute and home. The wh-1000xM2 tick every single box. For everyone out here trying to decide to upgrade or not from the original 1000x, yes! Do it......

Also, I prefer APTX-HD over LDAC, and Wired over Wireless.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #50 of 198
On an iPhone 8+ using Spotify on the highest setting, and using google play music for the music I’ve bought and uploaded to the cloud. Both sound great over Bluetooth to my 1000XM2 and to the Bluetooth in my Subaru. I still love my HD650, but I’ve been finding myself using the Sonys a lot lately at home as well.

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #51 of 198
Strange - my MBP makes them go louder which is strange - no idea why.

iPhone X with Spotify and iOS 11.2 and AAC encoding according to the app and the volume doesn't go *that* loud

MBP with High Sierra and Spotify and streaming using AptX goes noticeably louder - loud enough.

Wonder why it sounds noticeably quieter with the iPhone.

Mildly annoying.

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #52 of 198
Strange - my MBP makes them go louder which is strange - no idea why.

iPhone X with Spotify and iOS 11.2 and AAC encoding according to the app and the volume doesn't go *that* loud

MBP with High Sierra and Spotify and streaming using AptX goes noticeably louder - loud enough.

Wonder why it sounds noticeably quieter with the iPhone.

Mildly annoying.

I don't suggest these headphones for the iPhone. The 1000x line is meant to use APTX or Ldac. Not SBC.

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #54 of 198
Its apparently using AAC on the iPhone so will be transcoding from OGG->AAC before streaming.

Like I said. I don't suggest the 1000x line for the iphone, the Parrot Ziks work best with that phone.

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #55 of 198
Yeah fair play, bit of a shame but it is what it is I guess, not a big fan of the Parrots, might try the B&W PX instead.

Also I think Apple's AAC bluetooth streaming tops out at about 250kbps no?

So would be downsampling the 320kbps OGG from Spotify, must be quite messy.

Spotify and AptX via my MBP at least sounds decent, wouldn't say stellar, but decent.

Friend has an OP5T so will see what AptX HD sounds like.

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #56 of 198
Yeah fair play, bit of a shame but it is what it is I guess, not a big fan of the Parrots, might try the B&W PX instead.

Also I think Apple's AAC bluetooth streaming tops out at about 250kbps no?

So would be downsampling the 320kbps OGG from Spotify, must be quite messy.

Spotify and AptX via my MBP at least sounds decent, wouldn't say stellar, but decent.

Friend has an OP5T so will see what AptX HD sounds like.

APTX-HD sounds amazing, indistinguishable from cable. Yes, the AA C codec is very compressed, takes the life out of the recording. APTX-HD runs to about 574Kbps ldac at 900Kbps.

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #57 of 198
So would B&W PX be a better pairing with an iPhone? They support the same audio streaming.

Also what other settings are people using in the app regarding;

Equaliser
Noice Cancellation
etc etc

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #58 of 198
Whatever it’s doing on my iPhone 8 Plus it sounds fine to me. I don’t notice any compression.

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #59 of 198
Yeah just wondering if Bose QC35 II or B&W PX are gonna be a better long term fit.

The volume on an iPhone 8 Plus/X is noticeably lower than on an MBP.

What exact settings are you using in the app?

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #60 of 198
Yeah just wondering if Bose QC35 II or B&W PX are gonna be a better long term fit.

The volume on an iPhone 8 Plus/X is noticeably lower than on an MBP.

What exact settings are you using in the app?

For the iPhone the Bose QC 35's are also a good option, The 1000x are meant for High Quality Codecs as opposed to what the i-phone can offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back