Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Nov 2, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #632 of 1,507
Sounds reasonable. But you would probably get a decent idea of its sound in a audition.
What if the audition you walked in to was a setup that costed some random number way out of your budget, with things you don't have (e.g. power conditioners, DDC, $10,000 cables)? Which is usually the case at the B&M stores near me. You'd buy the product assuming the same sounds... until you hook it up at home for a nice surprise.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #633 of 1,507
I have to get an audition at home. It’s hard to listen to gear when you are trying to hear differences if you ask me.
it also takes me days to hear differences unless they are massively different

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #634 of 1,507
It will be hard to beat May KTE but not impossible. Even Morpheus is really close. But of course i must hear new Sonnet DAC myself.
It’s all subjective. I borrowed the Holo May from someone with the intention to buy it if I liked it. To me, the Morpheus sounded better. The person that I borrowed it from sold it a couple of days after I returned it to him. He thought it was overrated.

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #635 of 1,507
Well I decided to jump in with both feet I ordered the Morpheus it is shipping tomorrow. The newer dac is supposed to be twice the price. Which puts it in the a higher price bracket. 3300 is enough for me. Looking forward to getting the Morpheus. Should be interesting .
You will not be disappointed, it is an amazing piece of hardware. I look forward to your thoughts after you have had a listen.

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #636 of 1,507
That doesn’t answer the question per se. he is correct as that is their flagship model currently. You still don’t have the answer to is there going to be another one in six months or so, I’ll be ludicrous for him to say anything but this is our flagship model.
Look how long it’s taken to develop Pasithea. SDA-3 Modules over Morph’s SDA-2 + double the Modules over Morph plus other refinements. Sonnet will want a long prodn run to return investment costs before anything else even considered. Think years not months.

Would love to see Pasithea alongside a Tambaqui (AU$17K). Pasithea will work out c.$10K here. Big difference. Others like MSB Technology Reference DAC AU$55K - $10K looks cheap. Go back 10 years and Critic’s review of Octave got me interested v MSB Platinum IV Signature £14K. Not better just damn close. Good enough for me on a budget (Hex better with full inputs/outputs).

I’ve listened to $500K Systems (elsewhere) – blown away – definitely not. I would hope Pasithea will offer more of the same … but more of it. There’s a good network around the world … ask for try before you buy (money back). Above comments are dead right re in your own System. Everything is System dependent on what you might hear/gain – or not for the $. Alpha Audio will no doubt get their hands on one for comparisons down the track … if you can identify with their previous findings as a guide.

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #637 of 1,507
Except in this case it was floated out there that there was a “Father” and a “Mother.”

Im going to hang tight and wait for Grandpa. :)
My theory is that they wanted to create something great, so the "Father of Morpheus" phrase sticked to the project. When it came to the commercial phase, when an official name had to be given, it turned out that the father of Morpheus was called Hypnos - god of sleep, which might not be a fancy name for a dac. So the name of the mother was chosen, Pasithea.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #638 of 1,507
What if the audition you walked in to was a setup that costed some random number way out of your budget, with things you don't have (e.g. power conditioners, DDC, $10,000 cables)? Which is usually the case at the B&M stores near me. You'd buy the product assuming the same sounds... until you hook it up at home for a nice surprise.
I doubt someone with 10k cables would be looking at a dac in this price range.

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #640 of 1,507
The bottom line is that you have to audition any component in your own system ideally. When it comes to speakers, then even more so since the room is probably the most important component there is contributing to sound
I am headphone person so the room does not come into play. But ultimately the sound of a component depends on the partnering equipment as well.

Nov 4, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #644 of 1,507
They are calling their latest gen modules "SDA3", and the Pasithea uses 8 of them. Morpheus has the SDA2 and uses 4. So that's interesting in and of itself.

But also interesting is the idea that the Morpheus may be able to upgrade to SDA3 modules. I know Cees usually designs them to be modular, and I believe Morpheus is no different. No idea on whether he really intends to make this happen, let alone time frame, cost, etc, but it's potentially a great way to boost Morpheus without spending big money on a whole new DAC.

Nov 4, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #645 of 1,507
They are calling their latest gen modules "SDA3", and the Pasithea uses 8 of them. Morpheus has the SDA2 and uses 4. So that's interesting in and of itself.

But also interesting is the idea that the Morpheus may be able to upgrade to SDA3 modules. I know Cees usually designs them to be modular, and I believe Morpheus is no different. No idea on whether he really intends to make this happen, let alone time frame, cost, etc, but it's potentially a great way to boost Morpheus without spending big money on a whole new DAC.
I wonder if there are other differences between the DAC modules. I thought tbat. Wes had told me a while ago that his newest DAC would require higher voltage. I do know if this is that DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back