Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Oct 16, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #571 of 1,507
I have a ticket for Sunday 31st. Will check them out and report.

Fast approaching so look forward to it. On another ‘note’ 12S variations have been a bug-bear for a while. Have been discussing with Marco M. an alternative to a DDC - as he’s familiar with both HDMI & RJ45. It may be possible for an adaptor circuit/cable to join more common Streamer/Servers with HDMI output to a Ruijtenberg Dac.

Oct 21, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #572 of 1,507
I saw this on FB today.

Attachments

• CD27760B-104B-4725-8CFE-17DEACA5E542.png
    CD27760B-104B-4725-8CFE-17DEACA5E542.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 21, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #573 of 1,507
I saw this on FB today.
Not sure about the name ... does not roll off the tongue like say Hyp-nos. However totally in line with a certain persons sense of humour. FOM = MOM.

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #574 of 1,507
20211020_113917_HDR.jpg
I borrowed the XI Audio Sagra for testing purposes, for comparison with Morpheus. On my 1266 TC he played as equal with Morpheus. There is detail, resolution, very good stage and dynamics. Only Utopias showed that Morpheus is better after all. The bass seems to be stronger on the Sagra, but it does not have the same control as on the Morpheus, it is too spilled. I also don't like that weird reverberation, this well effect. It's very nice DAC but Morpheus is better.

Oct 28, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #575 of 1,507
I am giving this DAC strong consideration , but I guess a slight concern is the creator has already moved on to pastures new.....or old in this case.
I am currently driving my 1266 TCs with a Burson 3X Reference Amp/DAC .......so would have this for a month or so but then probably going for the Niimbus US5 Pro.
I see a lot about not using USB........as I am a novice this concerns me a little.

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #576 of 1,507
I am giving this DAC strong consideration , but I guess a slight concern is the creator has already moved on to pastures new.....or old in this case.
I am currently driving my 1266 TCs with a Burson 3X Reference Amp/DAC .......so would have this for a month or so but then probably going for the Niimbus US5 Pro.
I see a lot about not using USB........as I am a novice this concerns me a little.
No need to be concerned about the future of Sonnet. Look back a few post in this thread, and you will see they are about to release a new DAC and it's a step up from the Morpheus, and both Sonnet and Metrum are still operating strong, from what I gather.

As for USB with the Morpheus, that is not the best way to use this DAC. If you want to get the most out of it, the I2S connection with a Hermes streamer is where it's at for streaming.

Oct 28, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #577 of 1,507
No need to be concerned about the future of Sonnet. Look back a few post in this thread, and you will see they are about to release a new DAC and it's a step up from the Morpheus, and both Sonnet and Metrum are still operating strong, from what I gather.

As for USB with the Morpheus, that is not the best way to use this DAC. If you want to get the most out of it, the I2S connection with a Hermes streamer is where it's at for streaming.
I think for now the Hermes will have to wait so it would just be the Morpheus . Does this mean I would have to use USB?

Oct 28, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #578 of 1,507
I think for now the Hermes will have to wait so it would just be the Morpheus . Does this mean I would have to use USB?
I used the coax connection before I got the Hermes, and I personally would go that route before USB if possible.

Oct 29, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #579 of 1,507
Can anyone clarify how I would use this unit if I want to avoid USB connection.
If I go for it I will be using my lap top or a raspberry Pi as the source to play Roon. The amp is at present the Burson 3X Reference, but hopefully soon upgrading to the Niinmbus US5 Pro.
When it comes to connections I am a novice and can get confused but If I am using the lap top or Pi, surely it has to be a USB connection?
Any guidance would be appreciated

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #580 of 1,507
Can anyone clarify how I would use this unit if I want to avoid USB connection.
If I go for it I will be using my lap top or a raspberry Pi as the source to play Roon. The amp is at present the Burson 3X Reference, but hopefully soon upgrading to the Niinmbus US5 Pro.
When it comes to connections I am a novice and can get confused but If I am using the lap top or Pi, surely it has to be a USB connection?
Any guidance would be appreciated
Firstly there is this review
https://darko.audio/2021/05/sonnet-morpheus-dac-review/

and as suggested you can use this
https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/314.html

thats is, feed your usb from your computer/laptop
into that and then whatever you want use (eg coax or aes) from the matrix into your dac

Oct 29, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #581 of 1,507
Firstly there is this review
https://darko.audio/2021/05/sonnet-morpheus-dac-review/

and as suggested you can use this
https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/314.html

thats is, feed your usb from your computer/laptop
into that and then whatever you want use (eg coax or aes) from the matrix into your dac
Thanks for the reply.
I do find it a little disappointing that in a product at this level that the sound is not as good, some even say poor, from a USB connection.
The convertor all adds to the cost too, so yes a little disappointed.

Oct 29, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #582 of 1,507
Thanks for the reply.
I do find it a little disappointing that in a product at this level that the sound is not as good, some even say poor, from a USB connection.
The convertor all adds to the cost too, so yes a little disappointed.
The sound is not poor from any of the connections, it's just much better from a few. Many a DACs out there have a preferred connection, so that's just part of it. The price to performance ratio of the Morpheus is still stunning, seeing as people have been comparing it to the much more expensive Metrum stuff and the Morpheus has been holding it's own.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #584 of 1,507
I compare Morpheus to Dave, Sagra and Holo May and i still have Morpheus.
Yes you also have the Niimbus that I am more than likely getting too. I have read your posts with interest.
I have a bit of an aversion to sharp treble and sibilance. How would you say it fares on those fronts. Yes its probably on poorer recorded music, but I still want it to be listenable if that makes sense.
The addition of a £500 convertor is a blow though :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back