Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Aug 27, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #541 of 1,507
This Holo May is great, very energetic and dynamic, more than Morpheus, very large phantom images. The heart beats faster when you listen to it. Overall sound quality very similar to Morpheus.
That’s some review. You went into detail saying that it is more energetic and dynamic, as well as the large phantom image in comparison to Morpheus, only to conclude that it sounds very similar to the Morpheus. Based on what you wrote, it doesn’t sound similar at all.

i’ll be buying the new version of the Morpheus when it comes out later this year.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #542 of 1,507
Sounds like I made the right choice, as I was interested in the May, but I don't need anymore energy or dynamics, so that's good to know. Thanks for sharing! I also, don't have the room for that beast. :wink:
I do think that's what the Morpheus excels in being - resolving without fatiguing. I'm a fan of the high energy approach, but I can see how it can be fatiguing and undesirable if it's constant.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #543 of 1,507
That’s some review. You went into detail saying that it is more energetic and dynamic, as well as the large phantom image in comparison to Morpheus, only to conclude that it sounds very similar to the Morpheus. Based on what you wrote, it doesn’t sound similar at all.

i’ll be buying the new version of the Morpheus when it comes out later this year.
I said that overall SQ is similar to Morpheus. Sondstage is little biger on May, dynamic are better too but is not a big difference. Morpheus still have great soundstage and dynamic.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #545 of 1,507
Sounds like I made the right choice, as I was interested in the May, but I don't need anymore energy or dynamics, so that's good to know. Thanks for sharing! I also, don't have the room for that beast. :wink:
Morph is best DAC for it's size and price!

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #546 of 1,507
Morph is best DAC for it's size and price!
That's good to know, as I have not sampled many higher end DAC's, but I do know I am extremely happy with what I am hearing with the Hermes/Morpheus combo, and it fits my desk like a glove.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #548 of 1,507
Both May and Morpheus are great NOS R2R Dacs, price on May is higher but you ger OS mode too (not tested yet), USB input is waaaaaay better than on Morpheus, Morpheus have great peamp with May don't have, for best SQ out of Morph you need to have Hermes/Ambre and connect it via I2S, May can be connected to USB and sound great. I will stay with my Morph becouse is cheaper and have very similar SQ.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #549 of 1,507
Both May and Morpheus are great NOS R2R Dacs, price on May is higher but you ger OS mode too (not tested yet), USB input is waaaaaay better than on Morpheus, Morpheus have great peamp with May don't have, for best SQ out of Morph you need to have Hermes/Ambre and connect it via I2S, May can be connected to USB and sound great. I will stay with my Morph becouse is cheaper and have very similar SQ.
I think holo spring USB is the best I've ever had, confused to think you find Morpheus USB better.

Aug 27, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #550 of 1,507
I think holo spring USB is the best I've ever had, confused to think you find Morpheus USB better.
I think he's saying way better than Morpheus.

Aug 28, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #552 of 1,507
I started listening to OS mode on May and i love it! The soundstage faded a little, the sound became harder, sharper. Morpheus is under serious threat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back