Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Sep 24, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #496 of 1,216
According HRT's CTO, Kevin Halverson, the microStreamer is not compatible with the iPhone, due to an absence of 'host mode' in the iPhone iOS version, although it works with the iPad, all versions, including iOS 7 I can personally confirm. Logically where a given bitstream is coming from: an iPad or a Mac, should make no sonic difference. Also, FYI, from Kevin's perspective neither does the brand and cost of the connecting cable, assuming it is mechanically sound.  Just FYI./

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #498 of 1,216
My pleasure, but mostly parroting the man who should really know! One more insight from Kevin: there is no sonic benefit whatsoever from  breaking in his or any other electron (versus mechanical) device. All in the head. Sounds logical to me, but as the designer of possibly the sonically very best device of its kind, I would anyhow defer to the fellow!

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #499 of 1,216
  Folks, the microStreamer now works with any iPhone or iPod Touch running iOS 7 through the Camera Connection Kit.  This was rumored (in this thread I think), and I downloaded iOS 7 today to an iPhone 4 to test it out.

Works great!  Sonic goodness just got a heck of a lot smaller...

EDIT:  Tested with iPhone 4 running iOS 7 and the 30-pin CCK.  I'm assuming that the Lightning CCK works similarly with an iPhone 5 or newer iPod Touch.  I'll check the Lightning version when we have an iPhone 5 in the house on Friday.  

This seems to refute what you're saying, pnoble.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #500 of 1,216
There does seem to be conflicting information on what works, and on what "works" means.  

In the iOS7 and CCK thread elsewhere on head-fi, I posted about investigations with the microStreamer and two iPhones (4 and 5c) both running iOS7.  I found that I hear clean output with files at 44.1kHz and 48kHz sampling, but playback at 24bit/96kHz through iTunes streaming stutters.

What "works" is open to debate, as some things might be happening strangely with the iPhone and the microStreamer that are somehow inaudible to me even with extensive listening.  I can't guarantee that what I have heard is sample-perfect and bit-perfect.  But, I can attest that I have listened to the following setup -- iPhone 4 running iOS 7, CCK, and microStreamer with line out to a Fiio E12 and ATH-ESW9 headphones -- for a couple of hours, and I heard only glorious audio at 44.1kHz.  No pops, clicks, or other weirdness.  

As always on head-fi, try it and see!

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #501 of 1,216
According HRT's CTO, Kevin Halverson, the microStreamer is not compatible with the iPhone, due to an absence of 'host mode' in the iPhone iOS version, although it works with the iPad, all versions, including iOS 7 I can personally confirm. Logically where a given bitstream is coming from: an iPad or a Mac, should make no sonic difference. Also, FYI, from Kevin's perspective neither does the brand and cost of the connecting cable, assuming it is mechanically sound.  Just FYI./

This response must be out of date. Host Mode is present in the iPhone in iOS 7—at least it works for the microStreamer with iPhone 5 and the Apple CCK; I haven't tried a keyboard or MIDI device yet.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #502 of 1,216
^^^  Definitely.  I am running from my iPhone right now.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #503 of 1,216
hi,
could you give me some advice for a good jack to rca cable to use with microstreamer? not to expensive
by the way The microstreamer is great with phillips Fidelio x1!! :)
The sound seems to be better when i plug the microstreamer to my pc than my xperia Z.
Did anyone also notice that difference ? android vs pc ?
maybe not enought power from the phone but still sound better with the microstreamer than direct output from the xperia jack.    

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #504 of 1,216
Keep telling myself I need to get a CCK to try with my 4G iTouch (last of the 30-pin models), but keep putting it off as I know a little switch will be pushed that has me ordering an iPad in the same browser session ...... :frowning2:

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #505 of 1,216
Hey all. I want to ask about the ZO2 and Microstreamer used in conjunction.

I got the HRT Microstreamer a while ago, and while it has some pros (clarity, highs extension), it is downright bass anemic imo. Point is, I need more bass. 

I was thinking of something like this 

PC >>> HRT Microstreamer >>> ZO2 >>>> Sig DJ

My question is, would this setup be idiotic? From ClieOS's sub-$200 shootout, the ZO2 is one of the worst sounding amps in this group. So, would it be stupid to use the Microstreamer as a DAC only, and use the ZO2 as bass boost?

The intention is to maintain the positive qualities of the Microstreamer and add bass, but I am thinking I would lose the clarity from the Microstreamer if I use it as DAC only.

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #507 of 1,216
  Erod, are you using the uS with a dedicated headphone amp ?

No, I am using the microstreamer as both DAc and amp. What attracted me in the first place was to have both in a portable package.

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #508 of 1,216
  Hey all. I want to ask about the ZO2 and Microstreamer used in conjunction.

I got the HRT Microstreamer a while ago, and while it has some pros (clarity, highs extension), it is downright bass anemic imo. Point is, I need more bass. 

I was thinking of something like this 

PC >>> HRT Microstreamer >>> ZO2 >>>> Sig DJ

My question is, would this setup be idiotic? From ClieOS's sub-$200 shootout, the ZO2 is one of the worst sounding amps in this group. So, would it be stupid to use the Microstreamer as a DAC only, and use the ZO2 as bass boost?

The intention is to maintain the positive qualities of the Microstreamer and add bass, but I am thinking I would lose the clarity from the Microstreamer if I use it as DAC only.

really?  You find it to be "bass anemic"?
This is why I always insist (as did Harry Pearson himself) that there is no such thing as "best" in audio.
As my "best" will be different from another person's "best."  Now, I'm not claiming the MS to be the best of anything,
but I would never imagine to label it as "bass anemic."

That said: I also don't doubt your experience!  If it sounds that way to you, and you need more bass, by all means I suggest
finding a solution for that.

We all interpret differently at the end of the day, which is why I always try to insist that my readers check out the gear I cover
for themselves, and to trust their own ears!

I've actually used the HRT microStreamer to drive my LCD3's while on vacation (this was before my trusty CEntrance HiFi-M8 - new review HERE,
or even my Sony PHA-1) and in my office from time to time (including during the review) and I found the bass to be authoritative
and engaging - not to mention pretty accurate - 

especially after I played one of my own tracks through it (just a little tech house track released on wax through Listen to Reason records that
I co-wrote, produced, mixed, and mastered - under our Seamless Satori moniker, called "Soultek").  This is one of my sonic acid tests, as I know
that track as well as you can know a cut.  I thought the bass was surprisingly close, sure, a little light because of it's dimunitive size, but it was
very close to dead-on.

All that said - I hate when people try to convince others that what they're hearing is gospel, and then a never-ending argument ensures.
I'm sorry you found it anemic in the bass.  I also love the combination of my ALO Pan Am and microStreamer as DAC - as a suggestion.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #509 of 1,216

In the shootout, the amps are judged mainly by how accurate and transparent they are, so coloration is essentially not a good thing. However, since ZO2 is a bass booster first and an amp second, coloration is actually what it is good at, thus it is kind of a handicap for the ZO2 in the shootout. The ZO3 is coming though, you might want to hold on to the thought and pay attention to the digiZoid thread.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #510 of 1,216
OT, but I know Mike subscribes to this thread - just wondering if he would recommend the Nola Boxers for the Coincident Dynamo 34SE ? Not easy to find high efficiency bookshelves that arent fullrange designs. Thanks in advance.

For those on a budget but who still demand top flight sonics and build quality, the Dynamo will prove to be a revelation. Single ended triode tube sound that belies its 8 watt power rating. Any 90 db sensitivity speaker can be powered with startling clarity and dynamics. Build quality not seen at twice the price. Perfect for those who want a simple compact set up or as a second system where true musicality is insisted upon. Hard to believe that this much performance and quality can be had for under $1000.Volume control obviates the need for a line stage since it permits direct connection to a CD player or DAC.

Specifications:
Single Ended EL 34 output-
8 watts per channel
6SL7 input/driver tube,
Auto Bias
5U4 GB rectifier tube
All hard wired
Stainless steel mirror finish chassis
Output impedance : 4, 8 ohms
Voltage selectable: 115V/230V
Frequency response: 20 hz- 20khz- flat
Sensitivity: 300 mv full output
Input impedance : 100K ohms
S/N Ratio- 88 db
Weight: 22 lbs
Price : $999 US.

The Turbo also serves as a state of the art headphone amp. A convenient front panel headphone jack is included. Output impedance is a standard 300 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back