Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Sep 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #466 of 1,216
I finally got USB Audio Recorder Pro working on my Note II again.  A VERY pleasant discovery is that UARP has hardware control over the volume control of the MS.  What this means is that there isn't the hiss that I get using the MS on the Note II without UARP (amp is at full volume, with digital attenuation - bad!).   Unfortunately, there is a clicking that occurs every few seconds that is mildly distracting.

I also decided to go from FLAC to mp3 for my portable music collection to conserve space, forgetting that UARP doesn't do mp3.  DOH!

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #467 of 1,216
  I finally got USB Audio Recorder Pro working on my Note II again.  A VERY pleasant discovery is that UARP has hardware control over the volume control of the MS.  What this means is that there isn't the hiss that I get using the MS on the Note II without UARP (amp is at full volume, with digital attenuation - bad!).   Unfortunately, there is a clicking that occurs every few seconds that is mildly distracting.

I also decided to go from FLAC to mp3 for my portable music collection to conserve space, forgetting that UARP doesn't do mp3.  DOH!

Have you reached out to Kevin Halverson regarding the clicking??
I'm sure he can find a solution - or at the very least let you know exactly what's going on.

He likes to hear about these things - it's a challenge for him and he always tries to be sure
his end users are completely satisfied!

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #468 of 1,216

Have you reached out to Kevin Halverson regarding the clicking??
I'm sure he can find a solution - or at the very least let you know exactly what's going on.

He likes to hear about these things - it's a challenge for him and he always tries to be sure
his end users are completely satisfied!

I haven't.  I decided to put the MS up for sale.  With the HifiM8 incoming very soon (supposedly) the MS becomes redundant in function (though I will miss how small it is).  And realistically, when I am going portable enough to use my phone as my source, I will probably just plug my IEMs directly into my phone at this point since I will want it truly pocketable.  I will use the M8 if I am going to be somewhere for a while with my laptop.

Most of my background listening is via Pandora so if I really wanted a dac/amp to do this with my phone, I need something that can work natively with my phone and not require UARP (like the HifiM8 and MS do to work properly).

I think my ultimate device will depend heavily on Android USB audio further development when either a major player like Samsung standardizes their system and forces others to follow suit or if Google itself does a proper implementation so manufacturers have a single system to focus development on (like for the iDevices).

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #473 of 1,216
So I finally received the microstreamer.

First impressions: I definitely notice a change in clarity. Instrument separartion seems to be better as well. Extension of the highs seems to be the biggest change. But I seem to have lost some bass
confused.gif
I just got it today, will be listening more during the week, of course. But the bass slam in some tunes doesn't seem to hit as hard .

This is all in comparison to the stock soundcard.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #474 of 1,216
Yep, that is the big change for me too: less dynamic, less slam, literally less bass extension. I also agree with what you heard: more focus, detail, clarity, sense of space; it's as if the elimination of jitter lends the music so much more musicality. It has a slight analogue feel in that you can crank the music, yet the highs are never harsh, always pleasing to my ear. I'll get used to it I suppose. The sonic upgrades to my EMU 0404 can't be ignored (plus no more expansion card and no more beta 64-bit driver support), but I didn't expect the change in bass nor did I read about this in any write-ups.

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #475 of 1,216
Yep, that is the big change for me too: less dynamic, less slam, literally less bass extension. I also agree with what you heard: more focus, detail, clarity, sense of space; it's as if the elimination of jitter lends the music so much more musicality. It has a slight analogue feel in that you can crank the music, yet the highs are never harsh, always pleasing to my ear. I'll get used to it I suppose. The sonic upgrades to my EMU 0404 can't be ignored (plus no more expansion card and no more beta 64-bit driver support), but I didn't expect the change in bass nor did I read about this in any write-ups.

Hang on - weren't you raving about the uS just a couple of pages back ? Sounds like someone has had a little placebo / expectation bias attack .....

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #476 of 1,216

Hang on - weren't you raving about the uS just a couple of pages back ? Sounds like someone has had a little placebo / expectation bias attack .....

we all interpret differently no matter what.

From the moment I got my MS, through my review, until this day:
The low end has actually been one of the most impressive sonic attributes of the MS - to my ears.

I'm glad you heard the integrity of the midrange and the clarity of the highs!!
It  could also use some break-in time

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #478 of 1,216

is this the post you're referring to?  Just so I know.
  I haven't said anything about how the mS sounds until now, so find my post

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #479 of 1,216
That is the only post where I've commented on its sound. I think you're mixing me up with other impressions. I usually don't even share my impressions, but try to stay active in the thread.

Other than recommending the mS without reservation, and that it betters the MS II, I never did see full reviews from estreeter or mike 
tongue.gif

p.s. I was listening to piano last night and it sounds divine! The mS really does justice to how the instrument sounds.

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #480 of 1,216
Folks, the microStreamer now works with any iPhone or iPod Touch running iOS 7 through the Camera Connection Kit.  This was rumored (in this thread I think), and I downloaded iOS 7 today to an iPhone 4 to test it out.

Works great!  Sonic goodness just got a heck of a lot smaller...

EDIT:  Tested with iPhone 4 running iOS 7 and the 30-pin CCK.  I'm assuming that the Lightning CCK works similarly with an iPhone 5 or newer iPod Touch.  I'll check the Lightning version when we have an iPhone 5 in the house on Friday.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back