Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Sep 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #438 of 1,216
Quote:
I have to say, against everything else I've owned, demoed, or listened to, I think the uS is the easiest, cheapest way for someone using digital music to get a rig capable of doing justice to higher end headphones.

HERE HERE!!

I lent it to a friend last week and he bought one right away!
I also got him into a pair of Grado 125i's to get him started...

Let the audible addiction commence! 

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #439 of 1,216
Uh oh...Grados with the uS headphone out might be sibilant/peaky sounding.
HERE HERE!!

I lent it to a friend last week and he bought one right away!
I also got him into a pair of Grado 125i's to get him started...

Let the audible addiction commence! 

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #440 of 1,216

As my HD800... Even associated with a tube amp unfortunately. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #442 of 1,216

oh nope!! NO worries there

I tested them on his rig (I got him set up w/ Amarra for his MacBook) - and it made a good match actually.
Especially since Jay (my buddy) is a NuJack to all this, and he's a bass player and I found that many of
my friends who play guitar or bass enjoy the Grado sound.
He's in love right now!!

Especially because he's got a much better monitoring system for his projects on the Mac.

I can't wait to show him another level!
But I started him out here so he can look forward later

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #443 of 1,216

As my HD800... Even associated with a tube amp unfortunately. 

Yeah unfortunately not everything works well together - it's all about system synergy,
which is why I was all about my LCD3's and the microStreamer rather than my HD-800.

We all interpret differently too remember.
But I have never encountered a situation yet where the MS's DAC section made anything sound peaky.
It was a GREAT match for the ALO Pan Am when I needed a DAC real quick.

But it just might not be meant to be a companion for the HD800.
I threw mine at it and I didn't enjoy the combo myself, thus why I didn't use them in my review.

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #444 of 1,216
Mike you posted a picture of a cell phone connected to the ms (sorry I'm reading this forum on tapatalk and the links and forum replies don't work well)
Does this mean an android phone like mine a galaxy note 2 will have enough juice to drive the ms?
Appreciate the advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #445 of 1,216
  Yeah unfortunately not everything works well together - it's all about system synergy,
which is why I was all about my LCD3's and the microStreamer rather than my HD-800.

But I have never encountered a situation yet where the MS's DAC section made anything sound peaky.

I threw mine at it and I didn't enjoy the combo myself, thus why I didn't use them in my review.

I think so :) . HD800 + HRT mS is not bad but too hot/harsh for most of my music. Nevertheless I still recognize HRT is a very enjoyable dac in this price range and it does make a clear difference from internal sound card ( I can't say that from all unexpensive dac I tried.. Aune T1 is another exemple of good investment too )  

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #446 of 1,216
Mike you posted a picture of a cell phone connected to the ms (sorry I'm reading this forum on tapatalk and the links and forum replies don't work well)
Does this mean an android phone like mine a galaxy note 2 will have enough juice to drive the ms?
Appreciate the advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Yes, at least on my Note 2!

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #447 of 1,216
Did anynone compare tonal balance of the other HRT models ( Musicstreamer II and II+) to this mS ? 

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #449 of 1,216
Synergy indeed. I find the HD650 a near-perfect match for the uS, even with just the HP out: the extra brightness gives the 650s a little more sparkle and liveliness. 

Quote:

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #450 of 1,216
  Did anynone compare tonal balance of the other HRT models ( Musicstreamer II and II+) to this mS ? 

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

while i did not have all three at the same time, i have had all three, and loved all three
now i'm not sure i could, or would really try to describe each streamers sonic similarities , or differences
i can tell you to me, they all had a similar tone, sound signature maybe,
i did like the msii+ the best, it had a larger sound stage, that was the biggest difference to me
next i preferred the micro, it just sounded right, great rhythm , sparkly
and then the msii
i really liked them all, and could live with any really

Users who are viewing this thread

Back