Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Sep 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #481 of 1,216
  Folks, the microStreamer now works with any iPhone or iPod Touch running iOS 7 through the Camera Connection Kit.  This was rumored (in this thread I think), and I downloaded iOS 7 today to an iPhone 4 to test it out.

Works great!  Sonic goodness just got a heck of a lot smaller...

EDIT:  Tested with iPhone 4 running iOS 7 and the 30-pin CCK.  I'm assuming that the Lightning CCK works similarly with an iPhone 5 or newer iPod Touch.  I'll check the Lightning version when we have an iPhone 5 in the house on Friday.  

This is GREAT news! I wasn't goin to update the iOS on my iPhone 4S because somebody told me there would be issues,
but this would be awesome!!
  That is the only post where I've commented on its sound. I think you're mixing me up with other impressions. I usually don't even share my impressions, but try to stay active in the thread.

Other than recommending the mS without reservation, and that it betters the MS II, I never did see full reviews from estreeter or mike 
tongue.gif

p.s. I was listening to piano last night and it sounds divine! The mS really does justice to how the instrument sounds.

right on
Clarified!

Oh, my review was published in Positive Feedback and was in the first post of the thread - so I totally understand 
how you missed it - I'm SO psyched to see this thread continue on - because the microStreamer really is something
special.

Lets see how ALO's The Island stacks up!  It looks nice and modern, industrial...

Here's my review of the MS:
http://positive-feedback.com/Issue65/microstreamer.htm

Funny you should mention piano.  I was just listening to this piano recording of my nephew (did it straight to hard-drive
through an analog 4-track) through the MS and it sounded so natural it was wonderful.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #482 of 1,216
I was going through some piano music of Busoni. It was from old downloads, a lot of it lossy, but still it sounded amazing! It had the right kind of body and tone, which I couldn't appreciate before. I'm not even that big a fan of the piano as an instrument.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #483 of 1,216
  Folks, the microStreamer now works with any iPhone or iPod Touch running iOS 7 through the Camera Connection Kit.  This was rumored (in this thread I think), and I downloaded iOS 7 today to an iPhone 4 to test it out.

EDIT:  Tested with iPhone 4 running iOS 7 and the 30-pin CCK.  I'm assuming that the Lightning CCK works similarly with an iPhone 5 or newer iPod Touch.  I'll check the Lightning version when we have an iPhone 5 in the house on Friday.  

I can confirm this for iPhone 5 with the Lightning CCK. I've been using it since the new firmware came out; sounds great :) 

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #484 of 1,216

Would you mind letting us know which cable you are using between the iPhone 4 and the MicroStreamer?  Thanks in advance.

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #485 of 1,216
Here's my signal path:

iPhone 4/iOS7 -> Camera Connection Kit -> USB to mini USB cable -> microStreamer -> headphone out

I tested 16bit/44.1kHz playback -- works great.  I also tested 24bit/48kHz and that works fine too.  It turns on the 48k light on the microStreamer, so it looks like there's no sample-rate conversion.  

Now for the less-than-good news:  I checked 24bit/96kHz playback via iTunes and another app I have that works on the iPad 2 and iPad mini for local 24/96 files.  The 96k light on the microStreamer goes on, but playback stutters.  I think it is the iPhone 4's fault in this case -- the processor can't keep up even if I stop all other apps in the background.  I know the iPads work fine at 24/96 with the CCK and microStreamer, so this may be a limitation of the 4's slower single core A4 processor. The iPhone 4S, like the iPad 2, has a dual-core A5 processor, and obviously later devices are faster.  

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #486 of 1,216
  Here's my signal path:

iPhone 4/iOS7 -> Camera Connection Kit -> USB to mini USB cable -> microStreamer -> headphone out

I tested 16bit/44.1kHz playback -- works great.  I also tested 24bit/48kHz and that works fine too.  It turns on the 48k light on the microStreamer, so it looks like there's no sample-rate conversion.  

Now for the less-than-good news:  I checked 24bit/96kHz playback via iTunes and another app I have that works on the iPad 2 and iPad mini for local 24/96 files.  The 96k light on the microStreamer goes on, but playback stutters.  I think it is the iPhone 4's fault in this case -- the processor can't keep up even if I stop all other apps in the background.  I know the iPads work fine at 24/96 with the CCK and microStreamer, so this may be a limitation of the 4's slower single core A4 processor. The iPhone 4S, like the iPad 2, has a dual-core A5 processor, and obviously later devices are faster.  

I'm psyched you provided this intel, as I have an iPad2 that works well in this situation too - and was about to try some 24/96 on my iPhone 4S w/ iOS7!

I love the fact that I learned about this trick from you guys!
It makes for another killer use for the MS!!

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #487 of 1,216
That is the only post where I've commented on its sound. I think you're mixing me up with other impressions. I usually don't even share my impressions, but try to stay active in the thread.

Other than recommending the mS without reservation, and that it betters the MS II, I never did see full reviews from estreeter or mike 
tongue.gif

p.s. I was listening to piano last night and it sounds divine! The mS really does justice to how the instrument sounds.

You wont see a 'full review' from me until I get some decent downstream kit and something like the M51 to conduct a decent comparison, but as for Mike ....

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue65/microstreamer.htm

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #488 of 1,216
@jarrett, on the other point you are absolutely correct - I managed to morph your posts with jaywillin's and I apologise for inferring that you were a hopeless HRT fanboy - that would be *Mike* !

(Cmon, Mercer - you know you had it coming :) )

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #489 of 1,216
@jarrett, on the other point you are absolutely correct - I managed to morph your posts with jaywillin's and I apologise for inferring that you were a hopeless HRT fanboy - that would be *Mike* !

(Cmon, Mercer - you know you had it coming :) )

Lol, when you said that Jarret had raved, I wondered if you were thinking about me,
I'm trying to not get so carried away, first impressions aren't always lasting impressions

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #490 of 1,216

(Cmon, Mercer - you know you had it coming
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I certainly did have it comin!!!!
I'll give you that brotha

But hell, with this lil' beast, can you blame me??

I'm just psyched to be able to use my iPhone with it now,
and I have this thread to thank for it!

I remember when I started the thread by sharing my review,
plus of course added the letter about my sheer love of the sound of music through the thing - 

but I was admittedly a bit intimidated, and even told Jude so.

I didn't know if I was opening a can of worms because I didn't wanna be seen as the guy saying "hey, here's what I have to say about THIS"
rather just sharing my enthusiasm for it.  But I'm so psyched to see this thread take on a life of its own - 

and even teach me some new tricks for the MS along the way!

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #491 of 1,216

Unfortunately, I had the same problem with the iPhone 5. I'm pretty sure I got 24/96 to work with an iPad mini under iOS 6, so it shouldn't be a question of processing power. So maybe it's an iOS 7 compatibility issue. 

Or maybe I'm remember wrongly and I just saw the 96 LED light up on the iPad mini without listening. Sorry I can't remember exactly. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #492 of 1,216
  Unfortunately, I had the same problem with the iPhone 5. I'm pretty sure I got 24/96 to work with an iPad mini under iOS 6, so it shouldn't be a question of processing power. So maybe it's an iOS 7 compatibility issue. 

Or maybe I'm remember wrongly and I just saw the 96 LED light up on the iPad mini without listening. Sorry I can't remember exactly. 

yeah I've had a few glitches w/ my iPhone 4S w/ the new iOS - but I heard from my friend that it's the phone w/ the issue.
It works beautifully w/ the iPad!

you guys opened up a whole new use for my MS!!
maybe a follow-up review/blog is in order...

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #493 of 1,216

iPad mini with the Lightning-to-USB connector works on iOS 6 for playing 24/96 files.   There's no stutter.  I haven't updated the mini to iOS 7.  I usually don't update when I have something working well, or I go to a local Apple store and test the DAC there on hardware running the latest OS before upgrading.  The folks there were cool about it the last time I went.  Now that iOS 7 is out, I will probably do the same for the iPad mini.  The only problem is, I'm not sure how to test 96k playback.

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #494 of 1,216
Is the sound from an iPhone 5 to the microstreamer going to be comparable to a macbook to microstreamer? Just wondering if it's worth buying the lightning camera kit or if I shouldn't bother using the phone/microstreamer combo.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #495 of 1,216
Is the sound from an iPhone 5 to the microstreamer going to be comparable to a macbook to microstreamer? Just wondering if it's worth buying the lightning camera kit or if I shouldn't bother using the phone/microstreamer combo.

I haven't compared side-by-side, but yes, I'd say it's comparable and well worth the cost of the adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back