Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Oct 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #511 of 1,216
OT, but I know Mike subscribes to this thread - just wondering if he would recommend the Nola Boxers for the Coincident Dynamo 34SE ? Not easy to find high efficiency bookshelves that arent fullrange designs. Thanks in advance.

For those on a budget but who still demand top flight sonics and build quality, the Dynamo will prove to be a revelation. Single ended triode tube sound that belies its 8 watt power rating. Any 90 db sensitivity speaker can be powered with startling clarity and dynamics. Build quality not seen at twice the price. Perfect for those who want a simple compact set up or as a second system where true musicality is insisted upon. Hard to believe that this much performance and quality can be had for under $1000.Volume control obviates the need for a line stage since it permits direct connection to a CD player or DAC.

Specifications:
Single Ended EL 34 output-
8 watts per channel
6SL7 input/driver tube,
Auto Bias
5U4 GB rectifier tube
All hard wired
Stainless steel mirror finish chassis
Output impedance : 4, 8 ohms
Voltage selectable: 115V/230V
Frequency response: 20 hz- 20khz- flat
Sensitivity: 300 mv full output
Input impedance : 100K ohms
S/N Ratio- 88 db
Weight: 22 lbs
Price : $999 US.

The Turbo also serves as a state of the art headphone amp. A convenient front panel headphone jack is included. Output impedance is a standard 300 ohms.

I would recommend the Boxers!!
BUT - btw - the NEW Boxers (think they're called the Boxer L or something) are on their way to me for review!!
SO, IF you can wait...  But, the original would be a terrific mate there

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #512 of 1,216
Thanks Mike - I can wait for that review, but its not going to write itself ! :wink:

Apologies to everyone else for that detour - back to the microStreamer !

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #513 of 1,216
Thanks Mike - I can wait for that review, but its not going to write itself !
wink.gif

Apologies to everyone else for that detour - back to the microStreamer !

COOL

and yes! Now I'm enjoying the microStreamer in front on the Lehmann Audio Linear headphone amp!
The DAC in the Lehmann seems dated (limited sample rate support) and I was gonna use my MYTEK Stereo-192 DSD DAC,
but grabbed the MS

It makes for a terrific combo!

and also shows how damn good the MS is, when I switch back and listen to the MS, its DAMN close to the Lehmann IMO,
for closer than it should be!

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #514 of 1,216
Just few words to say that HRT Microstreamer really makes a terrific combo with an Ultrasone Signature pro.  mS + Sig pro is an ultimate way to have a complete Hi-End sounding rig for everywhere. 

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #515 of 1,216
I have to admit I am very puzzled by all the praise the Microstreamer receive. I got mine a  few days ago and while it is a good sounding unit for the price I decided to sent it back to the shop.
I only tried it  with IEMs but I found the unit lacks details and is far too smooth, spatial information seem missing, which could explain comments by some as sounding very "analogue".
Maybe I got spoiled by the HM-901 but I haven't be able to listen the the Microstreamer for more than 10mn without wanting to switch back to the Hifiman. 
Maybe I was expected too much from such unit?

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #517 of 1,216
Too smooth? Odd, most people find it a bit bright...

Quote:
  I have to admit I am very puzzled by all the praise the Microstreamer receive. I got mine a  few days ago and while it is a good sounding unit for the price I decided to sent it back to the shop.
I only tried it  with IEMs but I found the unit lacks details and is far too smooth, spatial information seem missing, which could explain comments by some as sounding very "analogue".
Maybe I got spoiled by the HM-901 but I haven't be able to listen the the Microstreamer for more than 10mn without wanting to switch back to the Hifiman. 
Maybe I was expected too much from such unit?

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #518 of 1,216
Yes for sure , I really can not associate the word "smooth" to my mS. 
redface.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #519 of 1,216
I am pretty sure it measures absolutely flat between 20Hz and 20Khz, like most DAC,  so not too sure how people could find it bright?
What I meant by smooth was more a lack of apparent  details and soundstage depth.

But I will have to reassess my first impressions as after reading the last posts I decided to try the line out before sending it back and I will have to admit it sounded very good. I compared it to the LO of  the HM-901  (both feeding my receiver and HE-6) and they were practically indistinguishable.
eek.gif

I then updated the firmware and played with the various volume options in JRiver and Windows and it now sounds very good with my S-EM6.
I still have a feeling the HM-901 with balanced board still has a slight edge but I am now really impressed by this little guy.

PS: So far I have found the best sound is with volume disable in JRiver and only using Window's volume. There is a slight scratching noise when adjusting the volume slider while no music is playing. Is that normal?

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #520 of 1,216
  I am pretty sure it measures absolutely flat between 20Hz and 20Khz, like most DAC,  so not too sure how people could find it bright?

Indeed, I always noticed a bit excess of sparkle and energy in Hi-mids / low treble on the LO . I noticed it for the first time with my AKG K501 and the combo really shined but with the HD800 that's already well provided in this area , the little boost sounds immediately harsh. Maybe I'm wrong and I didn't do ABX tests :)

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #521 of 1,216
I see, that's not really how I've come to understand the term "smooth," which is usually cited as a positive indicating a lack of either harsh treble or general unevenness of FR.

Oh, and where did you see the mS measured? I'd be curious to see myself.

Quote:
What I meant by smooth was more a lack of apparent  details and soundstage depth.

But I will have to reassess my first impressions as after reading the last posts I decided to try the line out before sending it back and I will have to admit it sounded very good. I compared it to the LO of  the HM-901  (both feeding my receiver and HE-6) and they were practically indistinguishable.
eek.gif

I then updated the firmware and played with the various volume options in JRiver and Windows and it now sounds very good with my S-EM6.
I still have a feeling the HM-901 with balanced board still has a slight edge but I am now really impressed by this little guy.

PS: So far I have found the best sound is with volume disable in JRiver and only using Window's volume. There is a slight scratching noise when adjusting the volume slider while no music is playing. Is that normal?

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #522 of 1,216
This is why I love the HD650 with them, even without an amp (as I'm listening right now :p ), they sound great; it obviously doesn't give them the juice they need to REALLY shine, but it does a good enough job for me to feel fine being lazy in bed when I don't want to get up and sit at my table with my Asgard. The fact that I can take this everywhere, and don't have to even think about it, is pretty sweet.

Quote:

Indeed, I always noticed a bit excess of sparkle and energy in Hi-mids / low treble on the LO . I noticed it for the first time with my AKG K501 and the combo really shined but with the HD800 that's already well provided in this area , the little boost sounds immediately harsh. Maybe I'm wrong and I didn't do ABX tests :)

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #523 of 1,216
@Gilly87.... HRT Should sound very good with your shure se215 and your DT770 ? no ? 

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #524 of 1,216
Well its a bit sharp with the DT770, so anyone who is sensitive to treble should stay away, but I like it well enough. Haven't done much listening with the SE215.
@Gilly87.... HRT Should sound very good with your shure se215 and your DT770 ? no ? 

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #525 of 1,216

It sounds quite good with the SE215, the W4R, and the Momentums that I have.  All three have varying degrees of treble roll off, so I got lucky with synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back