Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Oct 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #541 of 1,216
Must use Windows to perform the actual firmware upgrade.
Primary benefit of new firmware is allowing mS to be used with low-powered devices like tablets and phones [use the uS(NAS) firmware]

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #542 of 1,216
OK thks 
beerchug.gif

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #543 of 1,216
  Must use Windows to perform the actual firmware upgrade.
Primary benefit of new firmware is allowing mS to be used with low-powered devices like tablets and phones [use the uS(NAS) firmware]

I used the non-NAS version—it seems to work fine with my computer, iPad, and iPhone. Any reason you recommended the NAS version?

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #546 of 1,216
Here's my iPhone setup using the microStreamer.  Nice and compact.  The Pebble controls music playback so that the phone can be kept safe while walking.

Another photo showing the cabling.  I actually put the HRT bundle in a small felt bag to keep it safe and secure when I walk.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #549 of 1,216
What is from your experiences the battery lifetime when listening music with microstreamer(latest firmware) atttached to (iphone/ipod touch/android phone) ?

I don't have a great answer to that. Once in extended use it seemed to drain the iPhone's 5 quite quickly, but this was back when iOS 7 was in beta. Other times I haven't seen a notable difference, but they were relatively short sessions.

I'll be doing some more formal testing and I'll have a better answer.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #550 of 1,216
Funnily enough I just came on to this thread to ask how people are powering their microstreamers.

I've got mine connected to my S3 4G and it is killing my battery. I think after a good 3-4 hours my phone's battery is just about emptied with the MS connected. Note that it seems to drain the battery even if not playing but connected. I would estimate that my phone's battery use is accelerated about 2-3 times compared to normal music listening straight from my phone.

I'm going to check my firmware when I get home, although I only bought it about a month ago. I've also ordered a Y USB OTG cable that will hopefully allow me to power the MS externally so that my phone's battery is not affected.

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #552 of 1,216

I thought my TDK BA200 coming out of my Sony Walkman was compact

No argument there.  A dedicated DAP will always be smaller.  I'm comparing against other dedicated DAC/amp combos with phones, like the V-MODA Verza/VentureCraft Go-DAP models.  

It is unfortunate that the mS requires the Lightning adapter, though.  On the plus side, the mS with Lightning adapter is a lot less expensive than an MFi-approved DAC/amp.  

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #554 of 1,216

I've got mine connected to my S3 4G and it is killing my battery. I think after a good 3-4 hours my phone's battery is just about emptied with the MS connected. Note that it seems to drain the battery even if not playing but connected. I would estimate that my phone's battery use is accelerated about 2-3 times compared to normal music listening straight from my phone.

Great observation.  The microStreamer very likely affects battery life on the iPhone.  It is only an impression at this point, but the battery indicator seems to go down faster with the mS connected.  I also agree that it doesn't matter whether music is playing or not.  The mS heats up when it is connected, so the mS is draining the battery no matter what.  

Still, if you've ever used a dedicated DAC or amp with a portable device, charging the DAC/amp is a pain.  This setup avoids that.  

I'll see if I can test my iPhone 5c for battery life with the mS on a day that I don't need it for other things.  

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #555 of 1,216
Maybe a special firmware for people using only IEMs would be good, and power consumption might be reduced even further.
Straight from my laptop max volume with  sensitive iems is usualy 10/100. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back