Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Aug 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #331 of 1,216
From what I've read, the "line out" seems to maintain the "HRT house sound"-natural and warm, analogue sounding.
But the impression I get is that from the headphone jack out, it seems more bright and forward?

I'm hoping that the headphone jack keeps the natural and warm sound signature.  I have read several reviews saying the microstreamer don't pair well with grados.

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #332 of 1,216
Sonic Satori.. Mike Mercer, I'm assuming you are the sonicsatori on instagram?

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #333 of 1,216
Quote:
From what I've read, the "line out" seems to maintain the "HRT house sound"-natural and warm, analogue sounding.
But the impression I get is that from the headphone jack out, it seems more bright and forward?

I'm hoping that the headphone jack keeps the natural and warm sound signature.  I have read several reviews saying the microstreamer don't pair well with grados.

when i had the microstreamer, i loved it with my sr225i's , whether from the line out with a fiio e09k, or out of the head amp out,
with the headphone out and the 225's, i found the sound had tremendous PRAT, great attack, its definitely forward, it didn't seem bright to me so much, its very revealing of source material though, bright harsh recordings will be magnified

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #334 of 1,216
Had mine for a couple of months, and loving it so far.  Only comparison is to a 12 year old Bel Canto DAC-1 connected t0 my PC through a Trends Audio converter - and this approach is both much, much simpler and sounds very good to me.  Price was right as well (a demo model from Audio Advisor).  Haven't heard it though the big rig yet (since I can't bring myself to drag my mini-tower case into the non air conditioned living room), but this thing is a no-brainer for use with a PC.  Even drives my DT-880 600s decently through the headphone output.

Since someone earlier was speculating on how Wagner would sound though it, let me report that as far as I'm concerned, the recent Barenboim BBC Proms Ring sounds fine though it, at least through headphones. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #335 of 1,216
Quote:
I wish I had taken some notes to be able to tell you exactly, but it's a fairly simple process. (Others on this thread should feel free to correct any errors).

if I recall correctly, the firmware update utility isn't included in the firmware download and has to be downloaded separately from HRT's support page.

Run this program on a Windows PC with the microStreamer connected. There's a button to pick the firmware file. The firmware with "NAS" in the file name is for use with network-attached storage devices. If you're not connecting to one of those devices, you want the non-NAS version. Select that, click the button to install the firmware, and then wait until the process is finished before disconnecting the device. You can use Apple's System Information app to verify the firmware version.

Hope that helps; let me know if something's unclear.

what is the firmware for? just apple compatibility?

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #336 of 1,216
GREAT to see this thread continuing to thrive!

I used my microStreamer at the Audeze table at Headmasters - was trying out some new software from Amarra.
ALWAYS blows me away

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #337 of 1,216
I got myself a Blue Jeans 1/8" to stereo RCA for the microStreamer
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #340 of 1,216
Quote:
I got myself a Blue Jeans 1/8" to stereo RCA for the microStreamer
biggrin.gif

Love my Blue Jeans cables! I should get one of these for my microStreamer, currently using an Audioquest forest for it.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #341 of 1,216
Do you still need a powered usb hub with camera kit? 
And how you upgrade the firmware on a ipad or mac?
Quote:
It reduces power consumption so that it works with the iPad.

I'm not sure if any other features are added, but I don't think there are any downsides, either.

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #342 of 1,216
Quote:
Love my Blue Jeans cables! I should get one of these for my microStreamer, currently using an Audioquest forest for it.

Thanks! This 3 ft was $33 including shipping to Canada. I tried to source one of those Audioquest 3.5 mm to RCA, but couldn't find an online retailer who would ship to Canada that I was happy with. I was pretty impressed with the build of the Blue Jeans when I received it
bigsmile_face.gif

MSA-1

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #344 of 1,216
Do you still need a powered usb hub with camera kit? 
And how you upgrade the firmware on a ipad or mac?

No need for a powered USB hub, or any hub for that matter. That's what the reduction in power draw accomplishes.

(At least at present. In the past Apple has changed the allowed power draw, so there's no guarantees for this functionality in the future.)

You have to use a Windows PC to run the firmware update app. It and the firmware are on HRT's site.

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #345 of 1,216
Thanks.  I think I ordered the current one so it should be updated I'm told.  But that's good I don't need a hub when I'm on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back