Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Aug 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #301 of 1,216
Quote:
This DAC needs more threads! It must just be very new - even the Dragonfly and Meridian threads are quite alive

More threads ? The reason we centralise everything into one thread on HF is because it just gets messy when you have threads sprouting all over the place - particularly with gadgets that span the DAC/computer audio/headamp subforums. I'm happy with this one thread, and there are only so many ways that you can type 'this thing ROCKS !', and Mike 'Madman' Mercer pretty much beat us to it   :wink:

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #303 of 1,216
Yeah, more discussion
tongue_smile.gif
such as...why does the microstreamer sound so amazing? Has anyone figured out what DAC it uses?

I'm going to order mine from Audio Excellence

Edit: I emailed HRT to ask my question about the DAC used. I've not been able to find the answer and have looked multiple times

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #305 of 1,216
Quote:
Yeah, more discussion
tongue_smile.gif
such as...why does the microstreamer sound so amazing? Has anyone figured out what DAC it uses?

I'm going to order mine from Audio Excellence

Edit: I emailed HRT to ask my question about the DAC used. I've not been able to find the answer and have looked multiple times

its a Burr Brown PCM1793 DAC.

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1793

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #307 of 1,216
Quote:
How do you know though? Isn't that what the Music Streamer II uses?

Edit: Oh that's the microstreamer circuit

most HRT products are based around XMOS chips,
but the DAC itself is just a part of the whole:

Implementation is everything.

I'm still blown away by this little gem,
and I rock everything from my E.A.R HP4 tube headphone amp to the ALO Studio Six!

The MS got MAGIC

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #308 of 1,216
Quote:

More threads ? The reason we centralise everything into one thread on HF is because it just gets messy when you have threads sprouting all over the place - particularly with gadgets that span the DAC/computer audio/headamp subforums. I'm happy with this one thread, and there are only so many ways that you can type 'this thing ROCKS !', and Mike 'Madman' Mercer pretty much beat us to it   :wink:

WELL PLAYED SIR, well played

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #310 of 1,216
Help! I downloaded the new MS firmware. How exactly do I update the unit and which of the two files - uS_IV2.bin, uS(NAS)_IV2.bin - (or both) do I use? I have a Mac.

PS: I'm using the MS with RE-400's with just 256bit AAC iTunes files, and the results are still astonishing to my ear. Bravo to Kevin Halverson (and to Dr. Fan Blan of Hifiman). I compared the Dragonfly and Explorer and found in particular the Dragonfly to be rather brittle and fatiguing by comparison. The microStreamer is exquisitely musical. I'm currently listening to Diane Walsh: '33 Variations on a Waltz of Diabelli' - extremely well mic'ed and recorded solo piano. Shockingly good. Sublime. Even compressed. No doubt there  are many further miles to travel down this audio enthusiast road but I reckon that for less than $300 (plus my MacBook Air) I have already entered the Pearly Gates!

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #312 of 1,216
Quote:
Help! I downloaded the new MS firmware. How exactly do I update the unit and which of the two files - uS_IV2.bin, uS(NAS)_IV2.bin - (or both) do I use? I have a Mac.

PS: I'm using the MS with RE-400's with just 256bit AAC iTunes files, and the results are still astonishing to my ear. Bravo to Kevin Halverson (and to Dr. Fan Blan of Hifiman). I compared the Dragonfly and Explorer and found in particular the Dragonfly to be rather brittle and fatiguing by comparison. The microStreamer is exquisitely musical. I'm currently listening to Diane Walsh: '33 Variations on a Waltz of Diabelli' - extremely well mic'ed and recorded solo piano. Shockingly good. Sublime. Even compressed. No doubt there  are many further miles to travel down this audio enthusiast road but I reckon that for less than $300 (plus my MacBook Air) I have already entered the Pearly Gates!

The RE-400s and the MS play extremely well together! I need to use that combo again very soon!

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #314 of 1,216
Not a problem. Any instructions would be appreciated. 

I wish I had taken some notes to be able to tell you exactly, but it's a fairly simple process. (Others on this thread should feel free to correct any errors).

if I recall correctly, the firmware update utility isn't included in the firmware download and has to be downloaded separately from HRT's support page.

Run this program on a Windows PC with the microStreamer connected. There's a button to pick the firmware file. The firmware with "NAS" in the file name is for use with network-attached storage devices. If you're not connecting to one of those devices, you want the non-NAS version. Select that, click the button to install the firmware, and then wait until the process is finished before disconnecting the device. You can use Apple's System Information app to verify the firmware version.

Hope that helps; let me know if something's unclear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back