Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Aug 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #361 of 1,216
:-| I wasn't trying to sell it to him, just suggest that he try it for a little while to see if it grows on him; notice my last sentence. Most of my gear has taken a little while to get used to. When I first got the DT770 LE, I was upset by the treble, but now I love it. Heck even when I just got my HD650 a few days ago, I started off feeling weird about them because I was so used to the DT770s and wasn't sure about the mids being more forward, but now that I've given them some time for "brain burn-in" I am really enjoying them, especially with reggae, classic rock, and classical. I even prefer them to the DT770s for some electronic music.

But yeah...not trying to evangelize :wink: Just suggesting he give it a little to let his ears settle into it. It's a great source for a great price and I think a lot of people who wind up buying the ODAC/O2 combo or the M&M Schiit Stack to help feed IEMs or cans below 250 ohms or under the $300 mark could save a lot of money with this little guy. And saving money kicks ass...especially in this hobby 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Agree with Mike 100% - this shouldnt be about selling the mS to anyone, least of all someone who thinks it sounds 'splashy'. One of the biggest pitfalls of this hobby is rabid evangelism - end of sermon  :D

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #362 of 1,216
Quote:
:-| I wasn't trying to sell it to him, just suggest that he try it for a little while to see if it grows on him; notice my last sentence. Most of my gear has taken a little while to get used to. When I first got the DT770 LE, I was upset by the treble, but now I love it. Heck even when I just got my HD650 a few days ago, I started off feeling weird about them because I was so used to the DT770s and wasn't sure about the mids being more forward, but now that I've given them some time for "brain burn-in" I am really enjoying them, especially with reggae, classic rock, and classical. I even prefer them to the DT770s for some electronic music.

But yeah...not trying to evangelize :wink: Just suggesting he give it a little to let his ears settle into it. It's a great source for a great price and I think a lot of people who wind up buying the ODAC/O2 combo or the M&M Schiit Stack to help feed IEMs or cans below 250 ohms or under the $300 mark could save a lot of money with this little guy. And saving money kicks ass...especially in this hobby 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh I could tell you weren't trying to sell to anybody.  NO worries there and no miscommunication
(which always SUCKS).

I'm just psyched to see this thread is continuing on a trajectory I never imagined when I was writing
that review.  I just loved the damn thing so much.  It was so seductive my first listening session, which
happened to be with my Audeze LCD3's (of all the cans, but I loved the combo) lasted til sunrise.

So to see any discourse still happening over this little sonic marvel is a GOOD thing in my book.

and thanks @estreeter

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #363 of 1,216
yeah this is going to happen no matter what.
We all interpret things differently (which I point out in every review, including the one that started this thread) which is why I never get into arguments over what people 
like.

It's like arguing over art!  I like to discuss art, but to tell somebody what's good and what's bad?  That's in the eye of the beholder.
In this case, it's in the ear of the beholder.

I would ask how many hours of break-in it's had.  But if its sounds splashy to you then yeah - staying with something that brings a smile to your face is all that matters!!

I guess im the splashy guy :wink:
Honestly my expectations were so different-I expected a streamer II with amp.
Also my ears got accustomed to Violectric v200/v800. I think anything portable is going to sound some what thin. So when I said "splashy" I meant it in comparison to v200/v800.

I am deciding to try meridian explorer- Todd's recommendation. Hopefully I will tone down my expectations.

Thanks for understanding
Expectations, preferences and developed history or taste for a certain sound make us all hear different.

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #364 of 1,216
Quote:
I guess im the splashy guy
wink.gif

Also my ears got accustomed to Violectric v200/v800. I think anything portable is going to sound some what thin. So when I said "splashy" I meant it in comparison to v200/v800.

I am deciding to try meridian explorer- Todd's recommendation. Hopefully I will tone down my expectations.

Thanks for understanding
Expectations, preferences and developed history or taste for a certain sound make us all hear different.

SURE

I had to learn this early-on as I found myself enjoying alot of things my peers didn't when I started in this bizness
at The Absolute Sound mag.  Imagine a teenager there surrounded by only classical and jazz listeners, and that
same teenager is told only acoustic music can be your reference!  Nothing wrong with it, but I believe you can use
what you like (even if its electronic music)!!

I'm going to do a comparison of the DAC portion of my microStreamer compared to my MS II.
You've also peaked my curiosity, which is a GOOD thing!!

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #365 of 1,216
Quote:
wink.gif

Thanks for understanding

and the Meridian is a solid piece.
I find the microStreamer to have more soul in its musical presentation,
but again that's also very personal!

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #366 of 1,216
Quote:
wink.gif

Thanks for understanding

the danger of "expectations" and "preconceived notions" i was just writing about that myself on the grado thread, regarding the ps500 and ms2i , if we keep expectations in check and have open minds when we chose the next "killer" piece of kit, or gear, i think we can avoid the feeling of "awww, man, i don't see it" lol 
i was so moved by what mike wrote about the micro, i went out bought one(early on too), and i too was mightily impressed, i loved it, i still love it even though i no longer have it, since the micro, i've had the msii, and i currently have the msii+ , i also have tried several other dac amps since then, and i really have a better understanding when mike said he considered the msii and the micro kevin's "opus" (or was it "magnum opus") what kevin has designed at under $200 is outstanding, it ain't marketing hype, its real, its tangible.
our own ears are the best judges of what's good, "if i like it, its good" the second consideration is, does the sound justify the price paid?
not every new thing is gonna ring everybody's bell, but when something ring's our bell its so cool !! i said before its a journey
the micro introduced me to the msii+ , i'm glad it did, i've had it for a little while now, i ran across an explorer on the sale thread, i'm trying it,
i'm impressed with it, which do i prefer ? i can't say right now, they are both great, but they are different, one isn't "better"  than the other,
i'm still finding my "voice" as they say, the sound i like, and i'm having a ball !!!

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #367 of 1,216
Quote:

I'm going to do a comparison of the DAC portion of my microStreamer compared to my MS II.
You've also peaked my curiosity, which is a GOOD thing!!

I'll be curious to read that. Will you post it here? I'm sure a lot of people are wondering what the sonic difference is, they are almost the same product: MS II has RCA out and is unable to drive headphones, while the microStreamer needs a 1/8" to stereo RCA and can drive headphones. The microStreamer is spec'd better according to HRT's website.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #368 of 1,216
Quote:
and the Meridian is a solid piece.
I find the microStreamer to have more soul in its musical presentation,
but again that's also very personal!

amen !

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #369 of 1,216
This is so true! I was expecting my HD650 to be a full-size PX100-II, and while it's better than the PX100-ii in many ways, I was kind of turned off by it initially because it wasn't as bassy and engaging. However it's growing on me now that I am listening to it as its own headphone, and I am finding that it REALLY excels with my non-electronic music in a way the PX100-ii can't touch. The presentation is just so enveloping, it really does take you to another dimension. Sure I'd like it to have punchier bass in a perfect world, but that's what I have PX100-iis for ^_^ and that aside, it's basically the headphone I've been looking for.
Quote:
the danger of "expectations" and "preconceived notions" i was just writing about that myself on the grado thread, regarding the ps500 and ms2i , if we keep expectations in check and have open minds when we chose the next "killer" piece of kit, or gear, i think we can avoid the feeling of "awww, man, i don't see it" lol 
i was so moved by what mike wrote about the micro, i went out bought one(early on too), and i too was mightily impressed, i loved it, i still love it even though i no longer have it, since the micro, i've had the msii, and i currently have the msii+ , i also have tried several other dac amps since then, and i really have a better understanding when mike said he considered the msii and the micro kevin's "opus" (or was it "magnum opus") what kevin has designed at under $200 is outstanding, it ain't marketing hype, its real, its tangible.
our own ears are the best judges of what's good, "if i like it, its good" the second consideration is, does the sound justify the price paid?
not every new thing is gonna ring everybody's bell, but when something ring's our bell its so cool !! i said before its a journey
the micro introduced me to the msii+ , i'm glad it did, i've had it for a little while now, i ran across an explorer on the sale thread, i'm trying it,
i'm impressed with it, which do i prefer ? i can't say right now, they are both great, but they are different, one isn't "better"  than the other,
i'm still finding my "voice" as they say, the sound i like, and i'm having a ball !!!

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #370 of 1,216
Quote:

I'll be curious to read that. Will you post it here? I'm sure a lot of people are wondering what the sonic difference is, they are almost the same product: MS II has RCA out and is unable to drive headphones, while the microStreamer needs a 1/8" to stereo RCA and can drive headphones. The microStreamer is spec'd better according to HRT's website.

I'll definetly post my impressions of the DAC section of the microStreamer vs. Music Streamer II here no problem!
I lent my MS II to a friend and I gotta get it back to do the comparison.

and regarding what @jaywillin wrote about being moved enough by my review to buy it, 
and about keeping expectations in check.  YOU MADE MY MONTH

as an audio and music writer, it's always my goal to gain the trust of my readership,
and it's a responsibility I don't take lightly, believe me.  The fact that you went out and
bought it, and loved it (most important) just picked me up from a bad day!!

I just blew the socks of this guy at a concert.  I had my MacBook and microStreamer
in my bag in my car, and the show sounded freakin' AWFUL.

I took this friend of a friend back to the parking lot and played him my Mad Dogs and the microStreamer!!
I didn't think it would drive them as well as it did!

This unit still amazes me!!

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #371 of 1,216
Quote:
I'll definetly post my impressions of the DAC section of the microStreamer vs. Music Streamer II here no problem!
I lent my MS II to a friend and I gotta get it back to do the comparison.

and regarding what @jaywillin wrote about being moved enough by my review to buy it, 
and about keeping expectations in check.  YOU MADE MY MONTH

as an audio and music writer, it's always my goal to gain the trust of my readership,
and it's a responsibility I don't take lightly, believe me.  The fact that you went out and
bought it, and loved it (most important) just picked me up from a bad day!!

I just blew the socks of this guy at a concert.  I had my MacBook and microStreamer
in my bag in my car, and the show sounded freakin' AWFUL.

I took this friend of a friend back to the parking lot and played him my Mad Dogs and the microStreamer!!
I didn't think it would drive them as well as it did!

This unit still amazes me!!

i used to get paid for helping folks feel better(i worked in mental health !!) hell michael, i bought it twice, first one returned went to the msii, missed it, bought it again, sold that one and got my msii+, ran across a "deal" on a much bally-hooed dac/amp, if you go look on the sale thread, you'll notice which dac i don't have listed there.
early in this thread, i spoke of being on a journey, process, learning, about a year, year and a half ago, the first thing i bought, computer, personal audio wise was a fiio e10, and those grado sr225i's we kinda like mike ? thats turned into an alessandro ms2, and a ps500, with a lyr getting shipped here this week. (yeah i know be careful)
i haven't heard anything really bad, and most everything i'd say was pretty good
but the micro made me want to hear other hrt products, between the msii and micro, micro wins, micro, ms ii+ , i still have msii+   like i said, this old fart is having a blast

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #372 of 1,216
Quote:
i used to get paid for helping folks feel better(i worked in mental health !!) hell michael, i bought it twice, first one returned went to the msii, missed it, bought it again, sold that one and got my msii+, ran across a "deal" on a much bally-hooed dac/amp, if you go look on the sale thread, you'll notice which dac i don't have listed there.
early in this thread, i spoke of being on a journey, process, learning, about a year, year and a half ago, the first thing i bought, computer, personal audio wise was a fiio e10, and those grado sr225i's we kinda like mike ? thats turned into an alessandro ms2, and a ps500, with a lyr getting shipped here this week. (yeah i know be careful)
i haven't heard anything really bad, and most everything i'd say was pretty good
but the micro made me want to hear other hrt products, between the msii and micro, micro wins, micro, ms ii+ , i still have msii+   like i said, this old fart is having a blast

Wow.

Thanks for taking the time to write about your experiences guys, and EVERYBODY who got in on this thread!  I was nervous, posting a thread based on one of my reviews of a product, but I loved the damn thing so much and it stood out in such a way I felt obligated to shine a little light on the microStreamer!!  I just didn't want it to look like I was thumpin' my own horn like some of the older audiophile writers who think they're rockstars. C'mon guys.  We're talking about Hifi here!  Let's have some fun.  Anyway...

I remember talkin' to Jude about being freaked out behind starting a thread with the piece,
and he helped me get over the hump.  And thanks for keeping the conversation ALIVE!!  

Both of you made my day, and that's good, as my wife is having a really terrible time (she's really sick) today 
and I've been a little restless.

Time to put on the cans and chill!!

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #373 of 1,216
Mike, I think you'll find that Head-Fi is an enthusiastic community - might be different if your review claimed the mS was the best DAC in the universe, but short of that I think most folk were anxious to read some impressions. End of the day, its all good, although some of the Explorer brigade dont quite seem to get that its not a one-to-one relationship between audiophiles and the DACs we like. 'The best' is always going to be subjective, even within a given price range.

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #374 of 1,216
Quote:
Mike, I think you'll find that Head-Fi is an enthusiastic community - might be different if your review claimed the mS was the best DAC in the universe, but short of that I think most folk were anxious to read some impressions. End of the day, its all good, although some of the Explorer brigade dont quite seem to get that its not a one-to-one relationship between audiophiles and the DACs we like. 'The best' is always going to be subjective, even within a given price range.

agreed , well said

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #375 of 1,216
Quote:
agreed , well said

I love that about this community.  Can you believe I actually had people in the high end audio industry starting to get angry at me because of my
"seemingly endless enthusiasm".  Some of them starting saying I was putting on a show and also "abandoning high end" and CRAZY BS like that.

I love it here - the discourse, even disagreements, are nothing like things used to get on Audio Asylum for example - where they'd attack ANYTHING 
new.

Plus - I don't name names but lets just say a certain editor of an audio magazine thought the microStreamer review was one "long exaggeration".
Then his magazine gave it an Editors Choice!

So I'm sticking to the Head-Fi community.  
I feel honored to be welcomed in and I put my time in as well.  I promised Jude I wouldn't coast.

That said - I know somebody mentioned the microStreamer wasn't a good match with Grado's.
Now, I'm using my lower-end Grado's (125i's) - but I'm enjoying the combination:

Warm and dynamic, airy and coherent.  I'm lost in Boards of Canada's Tomorrow's Harvest!

I'm going to try my SR-225i's with the MS now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back