Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Aug 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #346 of 1,216
The HP out is definitely a bit bright. I sold my D2000 because they sounded hugely artificial from the micro. I really like it with my DT770 LEs though, even though I get some sibilance sometimes.
sling5s said:
.From what I've read, the "line out" seems to maintain the "HRT house sound"-natural and warm, analogue sounding.
But the impression I get is that from the headphone jack out, it seems more bright and forward?

I'm hoping that the headphone jack keeps the natural and warm sound signature.  I have read several reviews saying the microstreamer don't pair well with grados.

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #347 of 1,216
Quote:
The HP out is definitely a bit bright. I sold my D2000 because they sounded hugely artificial from the micro. I really like it with my DT770 LEs though, even though I get some sibilance sometimes.

Yeah the microStreamer, to my ears is anything but bright - but of course that all depends on sonic synergy with the cans used.
I haven't heard that it doesn't pair well with Grado's actually, but I'll put that to the test this week w/ my Grado 225i's

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #348 of 1,216
Seriously? I think it's pretty neutral, but it definitely sounds on the bright side; I get noticeably more sibilance with my DT770s on the microstreamer than my other sources except the ELE DAC. It doesn't really bother me personally, but it's there. I game using that combo and it does get fatiguing after a while. It's still friggen awesome though ^_^
Quote:

Yeah the microStreamer, to my ears is anything but bright - but of course that all depends on sonic synergy with the cans used.
I haven't heard that it doesn't pair well with Grado's actually, but I'll put that to the test this week w/ my Grado 225i's

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #349 of 1,216
Quote:

earlier in the thread, i made mention of liking the microstreamer more with my headphone amp , the fiio e09k, this is when i first got the micro.
then over time, because i was deciding whether to keep the micro, i was using it's headphone out to my 225i's, and its line out with the fiio.
it seemed to me, that on some recordings i preferred the line out fiio combo, to the straight head out, and vice versa ,
my conclusion : its the sources, the head out is just very revealing , the grado's very revealing, thats a whole lotta revealing of lesser source material, it wasn't bad to my ears initially, i loved the detail, i just found my ears fatigued quicker, the fiio's amp may add just enough
"whatever" thats it helps tame the edge of rough recordings , thats my $.02(two cents) lol

WHOOPS: i meant to quote gilly87 ! lol, but y'all get the point i'm sure

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #350 of 1,216
Absolutely no problems with 'brightness' usng my modded SR60i from the mS into my Just Audio uHA-120 or my Leckerton uHA-4. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #353 of 1,216
I just got it, sounds like someone put a miniature tube amp inside.  Very airy, twangy and punchy.  I do think the treble is a little on the bright side though.  Does treble settle?
I love the sparkle, very tube like but wish it was smoother. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #354 of 1,216
I've had mine for a few months, the treble is its only real shortcoming IMO and its there to stay.
I just got it, sounds like someone put a miniature tube amp inside.  Very airy, twangy and punchy.  I do think the treble is a little on the bright side though.  Does treble settle?
I love the sparkle, very tube like but wish it was smoother. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #355 of 1,216
Really nice with dark headphones like LCD-2. But with everything else...thin and bright.  I think the HRT Music Streamer II is much more to my liking. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #356 of 1,216
Mine arrived! I'll just be using it as a standalone DAC. I don't enjoy wearing headphones at my computer (my amp switches between the computer and cd player as sources so both are covered).

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #359 of 1,216
Quote:
Really?

Let it grow on you a little. I was in love with my HiFiMeDIY DAC (el cheapo ODAC) but the Microstreamer won me over in the end. Maybe it's just not for you though.

yeah this is going to happen no matter what.
We all interpret things differently (which I point out in every review, including the one that started this thread) which is why I never get into arguments over what people 
like.

It's like arguing over art!  I like to discuss art, but to tell somebody what's good and what's bad?  That's in the eye of the beholder.
In this case, it's in the ear of the beholder.

I would ask how many hours of break-in it's had.  But if its sounds splashy to you then yeah - staying with something that brings a smile to your face is all that matters!!

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #360 of 1,216
Agree with Mike 100% - this shouldnt be about selling the mS to anyone, least of all someone who thinks it sounds 'splashy'. One of the biggest pitfalls of this hobby is rabid evangelism - end of sermon  :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back