Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!!
Jan 9, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #2,596 of 4,538
Quote:
It has taken me a while to warm up to it, but now that I have...Esperanza Spalding: Chamber Music Society sounds fantastic!!

Nice one...

But mad 'cos I'm so jealous of that hair... I need some. 
tongue.gif
  I dig her percussive use of her voice with the bass.

Reminds me of my favorite bluesman, Mr. Albert Collins, on the masterpiece, Ice Pickin'. Couldn't find many examples of his growling with his 'caster on youtube, but you can get the gist here:

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #2,599 of 4,538
Got something new for you Head-Fi trance lovers out there.

My TRANCE.FM EOYC mix has been uploaded to SoundCloud, its now available for you to listen and download a 320kbps copy as well for portable listening. 
gs1000.gif

Find it here:
https://soundcloud.com/liftedandreas/dj-lifted-andreas-trancefm-eoyc-2012-mix

Enjoy! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #2,600 of 4,538
Quote:
Just got AKG K550's and pretty much everything sounds great on them. One of my favorites was Valery Gergiev's performance of Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring"...absolutely mind-blowing. 
smily_headphones1.gif

if you are into modern classical compositors, Emerson Quartet's run on Shostakovich: The String Quartets is amazing. Not symphonic music thought.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #2,601 of 4,538
The album Hospice by The Antlers. Only when in not afraid of tears running into the headphones.

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #2,602 of 4,538
I can not get enough of the title track on this EP by TV Torso called 'Clear Lake Strangler'

You can listen to the EP or download it in multiple formats for free here:
http://tvtorso.bandcamp.com/album/clear-lake-strangler

The title track reminds me of early material by the band Spoon. I haven't been able to sort out all of the lyrics yet, which adds to the mystery of it. It's 3:12 of jangly guitar hand-clap pop-rock goodness.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #2,603 of 4,538
This!
Tank! - The Seatbelts

It has lots of layers with different instruments. That youtube link is in 360p so the sound quality is equally compressed, but try it on another site. A pretty fun listen, too. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #2,604 of 4,538
The entire Bebop OST is great. Very complex Jazz for the most part. Layering is fantastic. Mushroom Hunting has been a long time test track of mine.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #2,607 of 4,538
Quote:

Entire album (it's a live album, not that it sounds much like one). Just flat out amazing. I'm not much of a Jazz fan, but it just doesn't get much better than this. Well recorded and with the right set up it'll knock your socks off with the amount of detail you hear.

Thanks for the recommendation, just finished listening to it (in 24/96)! I enjoyed it a lot; besides the jazz of course, very immersive nightclub ambient, with all the little clinks, chats, laughs and a cute lady sneeze
tongue.gif
And sounds properly remastered, much better recording than Dave Brubeck's Time Out I recently got from HD Tracks as well, that one sounds like a vinyl rip nobody bothered to clean up... the music's great though, and in some ways more fun and varied than Waltz for Debby.

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #2,608 of 4,538
Since I'm at it, here are a couple of albums where not just the music is great but the recording makes the use of fancy cans well worth it
wink.gif
:

- Somebody posted Mumford & Sons' Babel. While I like it, I somehow kinda could never really warm up to them... Along those lines though, I really dig this one, love the guy's voice and the music has some nice dynamics too: The Head and the Heart (self-titled album, no text on cover):

- Then what I think is a wonderful singer, Alison Sudol, better known as A Fine Frenzy. While she could be considered "pop", her albums have covered quite a wide variety of styles and I think her latest one, Pines, is exceptional. A couple of songs are meh, but most are very good, but for me the outstanding one is " Winds of Wander", I love dynamic range in my music (not necessarily in the technical sense, though that helps) and I love how this one builds up. (Because of that, and her voice and the outdoor sounds at the beginning, I don't think a LQ YouTube version would really do it justice)

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #2,609 of 4,538
The whole "Django Unchained" soundtrack. Definitely one of the best soundtracks I've ever listened. Another good one was the soundtrack from "An Education".

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #2,610 of 4,538
Can't believe this is 30 years old. I heard it when it was released, on vinyl (I am an old fart):

Sounds great on LCD 2.2s.

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back