Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!!
Jul 24, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #1,066 of 4,538
"Sergio Leone Suite: Cockeye's Song from Once Upon a Time in America" played by Yo-Yo Ma in the album Plays Ennio Morricone.

Actually, the whole "Sergio Leone Suite" is wonderful but this particular tracks is pure genious!

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #1,067 of 4,538
Been rockin' my 25-13s lately and here's a few I put on loop and enjoyed.

MiMOSA - Straiway (The bass crawl is just so brutal in this track)
Pendulum - Withcraft (Pendulum usually doesn't wow me, but this track have such an awesome build)
Netsky - Smile (To be honest, this is quickly becoming one of my favorite tracks of all time, but Liquid DnB in general sound beautiful in these.

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #1,068 of 4,538
Walter Beasley - Killing Me Softly (Sax instrumental) was awesome... thanks WoahReQQuiem.

This thread is amazing to discover new music.. thanks everyone..

Quote:
AKG K 141 mk. II.

Peter White - Promenade
Craig Chaquico - Lights Out San Francisco (instrumental and non-instrumental ver.)
Acoustic Alchemy - Playing for Time
Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good 
Walter Beasley - Killing Me Softly (Sax instrumental)
Stevie Wonder - You Are The Sunshine of My Life
 Minus the Bear - Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse
..and lots more piano solos whose titles I have forgotten.

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #1,069 of 4,538
Any chance of people throwing in source E.g Album name? 

Orchestral/Classical in-particular as there are sooo many poor quality recordings and quite a few artists seem to rerecord for different albums..? Don't know if that's just me (in my head) but some of the same songs do seem to have different quality of recording even just from album to album.   

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #1,070 of 4,538
I loved that Pendulum song... Thanks for the share!

Quote:

Pendulum - Withcraft (Pendulum usually doesn't wow me, but this track have such an awesome build)
Netsky - Smile (To be honest, this is quickly becoming one of my favorite tracks of all time, but Liquid DnB in general sound beautiful in these.

Jul 24, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #1,071 of 4,538

Quote:

The Rip - Portishead

I just started listening to "Third" again and WOW was that song breathtaking 
eek.gif

I also think Machine Gun is worth a mention too for that WOW factor.

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #1,072 of 4,538

Quote:
I just started listening to "Third" again and WOW was that song breathtaking 
eek.gif

I also think Machine Gun is worth a mention too for that WOW factor.

yeah that whole album is nice, machine gun is def the other stand out for me. but something about the rip is just sooooo soothing and relaxing.  beth gibbons voice is unreal.  mmmmm think ill listen to it now

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #1,073 of 4,538

Quote:

that bass crawl is nasty

i like this one for bass crawl but its a bit slower

http://soundcloud.com/utopia-music/mako-and-survival-freedom-from-duality-um003-aa

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #1,074 of 4,538
my new favorite dubstep track

p.s.  be sure to listen for the jaba the hut samples ! LOL

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #1,075 of 4,538
Anyone remember the old trance track "Universal Nation" by Push? It came on when I was switching back and forth between my AT-M50s and some other headphones I was testing, and while it helped renew my appreciation for my M50s, I noticed how good the song sounded in-general. I have been listening to a lot of older tracks, some hold up really well, some don't, but they are mostly a stark contrast to how music is often (over)produced today. Perhaps because I grew up in the heyday of electronic music... I like to seek out old singles that I could never find back then and play fantasy DJ.

I digress...

Dub seems to be really in right now, so for those interested, the instrumetal half of Pinch - Underwater Dancehall is just plain fun on both my systems. The track "One of Us" by Kryptic Minds is absolutely epic... I actually really like dub minimal too, but dubstep is pretty fun. I know less about dubstep actually... I guess I started with tech minimal, then dub minimal, and eventually began to dig dubstep too.

The Horrors new record Skying sounds great... its production really lends it well with headphones for anyone that likes a good, as well interesting, rock record.

I was listening to a lot of Power Noise and also EBM, obviously vastly different genres, but similar in that it is getting much harder to find new examples of either that are worth listening to. A few good records out there from the last few years but not that many. I like to use these kinds of genres to test headphones because they can easily cause fatigue over minor SQ issues.

Almost anything by Autechre (I dig pretty much all their work up through "Confield", After that, it becomes more of an endurance test) They can, and do, drop my jaw with the right system/cans. IDM/Glitch lovers should snag "Clicks n Cuts" Vol. 1-4. I am not usually a fan of IDM comps, usually because it is so hard to encapsulate the genre, but there is a HUGE amount of sonically interesting material here.

If you like dance music and are looking for some really decent modern mix records, the last two in the "Balance" series have been stellar: Nick Warren for #18 and Henry Saiz for #19 (Balance:Henry Saiz is probably one of the best mix albums in a few years) I just rediscovered "Painting on Silence" by Parks & Wilson. It's unique in that it's 4/4 dance but interestingly slow. Chugging along with an interesting track list, the two discs are about one of the better examples of proggy dance mixing right before everything went automatic in studios and on laptops.

Any of the live Songs: Ohia records are stellar, as well the live Justin Molina record "Pyramid Electric Co". I could list 1000 good rock records new and old, but I always thought that Krautrock sounded really good on headphones. I don't know if it was being done on purpose, but even closed headphones sound massively open with certain krautrock albums.

It is hard to whiddle the list down, so I guess this is my interests, well, today... tomorrow might be cavernously different, I suppose.

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #1,076 of 4,538
I haven't been able to listen to my K701 for about 3 weeks now, but last I remember the song that really made me lose it was Technical Difficulties - Racer X. The guitar solo just feels so empowering with the K701's.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #1,078 of 4,538

Quote:
Anyone remember the old trance track "Universal Nation" by Push? It came on when I was switching back and forth between my AT-M50s and some other headphones I was testing, and while it helped renew my appreciation for my M50s, I noticed how good the song sounded in-general. I have been listening to a lot of older tracks, some hold up really well, some don't, but they are mostly a stark contrast to how music is often (over)produced today. Perhaps because I grew up in the heyday of electronic music... I like to seek out old singles that I could never find back then and play fantasy DJ.

I digress...

Dub seems to be really in right now, so for those interested, the instrumetal half of Pinch - Underwater Dancehall is just plain fun on both my systems. The track "One of Us" by Kryptic Minds is absolutely epic... I actually really like dub minimal too, but dubstep is pretty fun. I know less about dubstep actually... I guess I started with tech minimal, then dub minimal, and eventually began to dig dubstep too.

The Horrors new record Skying sounds great... its production really lends it well with headphones for anyone that likes a good, as well interesting, rock record.

I was listening to a lot of Power Noise and also EBM, obviously vastly different genres, but similar in that it is getting much harder to find new examples of either that are worth listening to. A few good records out there from the last few years but not that many. I like to use these kinds of genres to test headphones because they can easily cause fatigue over minor SQ issues.

Almost anything by Autechre (I dig pretty much all their work up through "Confield", After that, it becomes more of an endurance test) They can, and do, drop my jaw with the right system/cans. IDM/Glitch lovers should snag "Clicks n Cuts" Vol. 1-4. I am not usually a fan of IDM comps, usually because it is so hard to encapsulate the genre, but there is a HUGE amount of sonically interesting material here.

If you like dance music and are looking for some really decent modern mix records, the last two in the "Balance" series have been stellar: Nick Warren for #18 and Henry Saiz for #19 (Balance:Henry Saiz is probably one of the best mix albums in a few years) I just rediscovered "Painting on Silence" by Parks & Wilson. It's unique in that it's 4/4 dance but interestingly slow. Chugging along with an interesting track list, the two discs are about one of the better examples of proggy dance mixing right before everything went automatic in studios and on laptops.

Any of the live Songs: Ohia records are stellar, as well the live Justin Molina record "Pyramid Electric Co". I could list 1000 good rock records new and old, but I always thought that Krautrock sounded really good on headphones. I don't know if it was being done on purpose, but even closed headphones sound massively open with certain krautrock albums.

It is hard to whiddle the list down, so I guess this is my interests, well, today... tomorrow might be cavernously different, I suppose.

omg autectre - confield ! im so going to go listen to that 

Jul 25, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #1,079 of 4,538
I actually really like Liquid DnB on the HD 598 (or any mid centric can that has decent bass as well).

Give pretty much anything by Netsky a try. Maybe...Moving With You (Ft. Jenna G). Good female vocals.

Quote:
What song is best for mine

PC (With lousy Realtek HD card) > Ordance Amplifier .22 > HD 598

I'm guessing songs with good vocals.

This track is awesome...Not my favorite, but awesome. The vocal samples are hilarious.

EDIT: Still think Iike Smash the Floor more though.

Quote:
my new favorite dubstep track

p.s.  be sure to listen for the jaba the hut samples ! LOL

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #1,080 of 4,538
my favorite netsky track

Users who are viewing this thread

Back