Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!!
Nov 23, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #676 of 4,538

Quote:
I know most, if not all, of you don't care but...

Have you listened to Kanye West's new album? I usually just gave him a shrug, but I am truly impressed. This is saying a lot considering his mainstreamness. 

Anyway, Battle's album Mirrored is beautiful. So much good music today. 

My ear cries with happiness when "Runaway" guitar solo comes on :)

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #679 of 4,538
I can tell you the album that's inspired me to upgrade my gear - already sounds amazing on my Mac with unamped well broken in Sennheiser HD 497s:

The band is Menomena, the album is 'Mines'. The whole disc is stunning, but the standout songs for me are TAOS, and 'Oh Pretty Boy, You're Such A Big Boy'.

Also, The XX album (self-title) is stunning. I can't wait to hear how great both these albums sound with better equipment.

Also, I'm uncertain how well good equipment will improve Shudder to Think's 'Pony Express Record'.

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #680 of 4,538
Anathema - Judgement (the whole album) one of the best male vocals i've heard.

Dream Theater - Awake (whole album) one of my favorite recordings of all time.

Liquid Tension Experiment (self titled album) - Three Minute Warning ... such great drumming. it's a shame Portnoy left DT.

Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle - Isis and Osiris ... Ayreon may be my new favorite band. some great female vocals in this particular song. the singers from both The Gathering and Within Temptation are in this song. great drumming as well. i love to just crank this song.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #681 of 4,538

Quote:
I can tell you the album that's inspired me to upgrade my gear - already sounds amazing on my Mac with unamped well broken in Sennheiser HD 497s:

The band is Menomena, the album is 'Mines'. The whole disc is stunning, but the standout songs for me are TAOS, and 'Oh Pretty Boy, You're Such A Big Boy'.

Also, The XX album (self-title) is stunning. I can't wait to hear how great both these albums sound with better equipment.

Also, I'm uncertain how well good equipment will improve Shudder to Think's 'Pony Express Record'.

Those Menomena guys are making some interesting music!!! I hope I can get "Mines" on FLAC soon

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #683 of 4,538

Quote:

The XX album is great through headphones. Really intimate vocals but with a lot of space in the recording.

Everything All The Time by Band of Horses is another favorite. Such a soaring and timeless album.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #684 of 4,538

The XX album is great through headphones. Really intimate vocals but with a lot of space in the recording.

Everything All The Time by Band of Horses is another favorite. Such a soaring and timeless album.

OMG - 'The Funeral' and 'Great Salt Lake' for sure. I'm never going go be able to buy AAC iTunes files again, am I?

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #685 of 4,538
I actually don't particularly like the production from The XX. The music's great but the sound quality isn't stellar.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #686 of 4,538

I actually don't particularly like the production from The XX. The music's great but the sound quality isn't stellar.

Well I'm a noob and certainly don't have a well developed ear yet - and until recently, I'd only been listening to MP3s through my Mac or iPhone. I wonder if I'll hear the flaws through the Grados and DAC.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #687 of 4,538
41GNCFEC6QL._SL160_SL90_.jpg

radiohead-in-rainbows.png

I love Lamb' debut album and Radiohead's "In Rainbows" on Senn HD650 and Grace m902. They are both endorphinitic experiences.... 

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #688 of 4,538
Billy Joel - Vienna
    Piano Man
The Corrs - Little Wing
Creed - What's This Life For
Gary Moore - Over The Hills And Far Away
Aaron Tippin - She Don't Know She's Beautiful
Chris de Burgh - High on Emotion
David Grey - Sail Away
Dixie Chicks - Sometimes I Wake Up Crying
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Somewhere Over The Rainbow, What A Wonderful World
Infected Mushroom - Stretched
    Heavyweight
Jan Garbarek - Twelve Moons
    Red Wind
    The Creek
Marilyn Manson - Heart Shaped Glasses (When The Heart Guides The Hand) (Inhuman Remix By Jade E Puget)
    Down In The Park
    Vodevil
Most by Massive Attack
Sade - No Ordinary Love
Most by Nirvana
Dream Theater - Under A Glass Moon
Black Sabbath - Children Of The Sea
Bodyrox ft Luciana - What Planet You On
Captain Hollywood Project - More And More (single version)
Candy Dulfer & Dave Stewart - Lily Was Here
The Cranberies - Zombie
Dune - Who Wants To Live Forever
Ennio Morricone - The Man With The Harmonica
    Chi mai
The Future Sound of London - Lifeforms (Path 4)
    Cascade
Chris Hinze - Angel
Spencer Brewer - Portraits
Michael Nyman - The Heart Asks Pleasure
David Arkenstone - Magic forest
Craig Armstrong - Weather Storm
Q Lazzarus And Garvey - goodbye horses
Kenny G - Songbird
Vanessa Paradis - Joe Le Taxi

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #689 of 4,538
I grabbed the "I Ching" album "Of the Marsh and Moon" in 96/24 from HDtracks after hearing a couple of songs sampled in the various demonstration compilations they have.  It is a truly fantastic album, and really demonstrates what a good set of cans can do.  Excellent resolution, sound stage, and sweeping, quality bass, etc.  It easily gets the most play out of all my 96/24 albums.  I've tried to find other "I Ching" material, but it appears to be the only album they've released (that's readily available at any rate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back