Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!!
Nov 23, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #107 of 4,539
Albums:

DSOTM, Sgt. Peppers (any beatles record for that matter), Aerosmith Pump, Amadeus Soundtrack, Robin Hood: Prince of Theives Soundtrack, anything Danny Elfman, Busta Rhymes - E.L.E. (some insane textures on this CD)

Songs:

Common - Faithful
The Beatles - She's Leaving Home
Mozart - Requiem (Introitus)
Batman Soundtrack - Main Title Theme

...oh man...this is a vague thread because let's face it, the reason we have headphones is to enjoy ALL of our music...I guess I love them all.

Nov 23, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #108 of 4,539
The latest Nine Inch Nails cd, With Teeth. (Actually most of his stuff will do your phones good)

Massive Attack cds: 100th Window and Mezzanine (try "Angel" from Mezzanine--wow!)

Jill Scott: "He Loves Me" from Who Is Jill Scott?

Erykah Badu: Baduizm--great double bass with some thumping electric bass as well.

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #111 of 4,539
Amon Amarth
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #113 of 4,539
I love the bass in
King Arthur OST.

Its, awesome!
600smile.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #115 of 4,539
You say you enjoy 'classical' music, but what kind of composed music do you mean by 'classical'?
If you are looking at something to really put your ears to the test in listening to detailed sound, I sugest you take a listen to:

'Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima' by Krzysztof Pendereck

It is an avant garde sound mass composition thus do not take it as you would a Bach work. You must either pay close attention to the hords of layerd sounds being played or take the work as a whole and let it move you. This is not a light hearted composition but it will give your ears a work out and it will show the limits of your headphones.
The best recording of this work can be found on the 'Matrix 5 - Krzysztov Penderecki' CD.

Or you could look into some John Cage (the most famous of the avant grade composers) or Steve Reich (minimal) for more accessible composed avant garde works.

Or if you want a great 'indie' album, take a look at:

A Hawk and a Hacksaw

They have put out two albums thus far and both are recomened headphone listening. The detailed and layered sound collages are rich and fulfilling. Their first album feels as if they created a twisted and backwards circus in their barn. Their second album has many traditional elements (and guest artists) from european cultures made into one cohesive album.

These are your best (and non-main stream) listening choices, in my humble opinion.

Jan 23, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #116 of 4,539
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4metta
Massive Attack cds: 100th Window and Mezzanine (try "Angel" from Mezzanine--wow!)

I completely agree! Both albums are incredible on my 595's!

Jan 23, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #118 of 4,539
clapton unplugged is popular for being spectacular on good cans.
My personal favorite is Social Distortion-Mike Ness Under the Influences (vol. one). Makes those alessandros really rock out.

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #120 of 4,539
Rickie Lee Jones - Skeletons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back