Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Feb 24, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #616 of 1,377
  You need the X86 version.

of what exactly? Sonarworks? I clicked the mac download. on the webpage. the activation code is just a string of digits and hyphens, and is what gave me the error message.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #617 of 1,377
-- copied from LCD-X thread because it should also be useful here --

Everything is working fine for me regarding systemwide and all but it wasn't without considerable troubles to get the licenses activated etc. Ultimately you need to purchase real full licenses for the plugins first since the systemwide demo doesn't support plugin 21 day demo licenses.  once you get a real plugins license key then you need to activate those via something like JRiver or AudioHijack or whatever VST plugin loader by loading the plugin and waiting a minute or so until it actually starts to render from being an empty panel (maybe click around a bit and drag the window a bit until it finally displays) and enter the real license code to activate the plugins.  Then once you got real plugin license activated do a reboot and go back to systemwide and it should show green checkboxes for those license.  Then you need to enter a new different systemwide demo 5 day license which I was given myself via a support email to Sonarworks.  The advertised 5 day license on their website or wherever doesn't work.  Once you got a fixed license then finally it should all just work.

The LCD-X calibration file is in the plugin folder '~/Sonarworks Profiles' under your home folder on a mac.  This folder should have a bunch of .swhp (SonarWorks Headphone Profile) files including the LCD-X.  It should open the correct folder when you go to select a profile in the upper right drop down.  If you don't see the X in the list of profiles it means you do not have the latest plugin updates.  In that case go to their website and download the latest plugins.  There is no 'flat' calibration profile included with the plugin so until you set something you get nothing.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #620 of 1,377
I found a bug...

If you switch profiles via the tray selection on mac (without opening systemwide fully) it will switch back to indicating the previous profile if you click away and then re-click on the tray.  It appears though to not change the profile just shows the wrong one selected. So basically you select a profile and it switches to it but the next time you click on the tray icon it shows the previous profile selected even though it isn't.  

Small bug but it's there and I am sure they will fix it quickly.  I am fully ready for purchase :wink:

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #621 of 1,377
  -- copied from LCD-X thread because it should also be useful here --

Everything is working fine for me regarding systemwide and all but it wasn't without considerable troubles to get the licenses activated etc. Ultimately you need to purchase real full licenses for the plugins first since the systemwide demo doesn't support plugin 21 day demo licenses.  once you get a real plugins license key then you need to activate those via something like JRiver or AudioHijack or whatever VST plugin loader by loading the plugin and waiting a minute or so until it actually starts to render from being an empty panel (maybe click around a bit and drag the window a bit until it finally displays) and enter the real license code to activate the plugins.  Then once you got real plugin license activated do a reboot and go back to systemwide and it should show green checkboxes for those license.  Then you need to enter a new different systemwide demo 5 day license which I was given myself via a support email to Sonarworks.  The advertised 5 day license on their website or wherever doesn't work.  Once you got a fixed license then finally it should all just work.

The LCD-X calibration file is in the plugin folder '~/Sonarworks Profiles' under your home folder on a mac.  This folder should have a bunch of .swhp (SonarWorks Headphone Profile) files including the LCD-X.  It should open the correct folder when you go to select a profile in the upper right drop down.  If you don't see the X in the list of profiles it means you do not have the latest plugin updates.  In that case go to their website and download the latest plugins.  There is no 'flat' calibration profile included with the plugin so until you set something you get nothing.

Thanks, saw it on the X thread.  I think I'll just wait for system wide and see if they simplify the configuration of the whole mess for windows.  If I see positive responses on here, I'll buy.  I love my Xs and always found them able to scale up with improvements, as good as they are.

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #622 of 1,377
Just tried this for my DT-880.

Couldn't get it to work with foobar, but using the effect in Audacity did the trick.
Put the VST .dll's into the "plugins" folder and let Audacity search for new plugins on startup.

Have to say that RudeWolf was quite correct when he stated that a pleasant listening experience was not their target.

I used the track "A dark Knight" from Hans Zimmers score as a guinea-pig and the results were:

Holy friggin basshead Batman!

It felt as if s/o implanted a subwoofer into my brain and turned the gain to "overkill".
Fun for around 5 minutes, after that: headache inducing.

It's scary to hear how much bass would be needed for a "flat EQ" frequency response.

Needless to say, that for my ears, details were lost due to them being overwhelmed.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience.

Fair day to you all.

PS: One positive: I was pretty impressed with the amount of bass my cans can generate w/o distortion. :D

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #623 of 1,377
Here's a guide from a post on page 3 on this thread:

Okay, I got it to work with foobar2000. Here's what you need to do.

Download and install the free trial of Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone. (Or purchase it.)

Download and install the VST adapter in foobar2000.

Go to Components, VST plugins and add the Sonarworks plugin.

Go to Playback, DSP Manager and activate the Sonarworks plugin. Then click Configure Selected.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #624 of 1,377
  I try to load the VST plugin into Fidelify and it can't register it.

Guess I'll just have to wait for Systemwide for Windows to try this.

No need to wait.  (You'll probably be waiting a long time for this... I haven't seen anything for 6 months, and haven't seen any indication of a release on their website).

Sonarworks actually had a webpage that explained how to do this without it's unreleased systemwide solution.  For whatever reason, it seems to have disappeared.  But it's still cached in Google at: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Uz1JuYtYGsoJ:https://sonarworks.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207678555--Windows-I-d-like-to-use-the-plugin-on-any-audio-source-and-not-just-in-my-DAW-+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I'll copy and paste the instructions here, just in case that caching disappears (I hope this isn't against the rules here..?):

Either for mixing purposes or just plain music listening, at some point you probably wished for a system-wide solution to listen to your music through our Reference 3 plug-in. While we’re still working on a system-wide solution ourselves, here’s a quick guide to a solution for Windows that works for free right now! For this you will need to download two applications that serve the purpose of hosting our plug-in and then routing it to your system's sound output.

Step 1:
Download and install the latest build VB-audio cable from here: http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/

Step 2:
Once installed, restart your computer and go to your Sound preferences in Windows. Click on the Playback tab and select VB-Audio’s CABLE input as your playback device.

Step 3:
Now download and launch Pedalboard 2 (http://www.niallmoody.com/apps/pedalboard2).

Step 4:
On the toolbard press Options, then on Audio Settings.
Now in the Audio Settings window Select “Direct Sound” as your audio device type. Select CABLE Output (VB-Audio cable) as your input and built-in output or your soundcard/interface as your output.

Step 5:
Now double-click on the open space in PedalBoard2 to add a audio plug-in and select the Sonarworks Reference 3 plug-in. If it doesn’t show up, go again to Options, Plug-in List and then scan for new plug-ins.

Step 6:
The Sonarworks Reference 3 plug-in will show up in the middle and you will need to connect the corresponding inputs and outputs, like shown in the picture.

Step 7:
If you wish to open up the plug-in interface and change your calibration profile or other setting, just press on the letter “e” on the selected module.
That’s it, you’re good to go!

Two notes.

First, you can use VSTHost from http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm instead of PedalBoard2.  VSTHost seems to have a bit more functionality, but they are very similar.

Second, in either VSTHost or PedalBoard2, you should select the output as whatever device you previously had as your default output device, not necessarily your soundcard.  If you have a DAC, for example, you will probably want that to be the output device.  (e.g. mine output is JDS Labs Element DAC)

You'll need to leave VSTHost or PedalBoard2 window open forever basically, because neither minimizes to the tray.  Furthermore, you'll need to open it manually (or via a script on startup) everytime you reboot the computer.  EDIT: Pedalboard2 does have a tray ability.  Under Options->Misc Settings, "Display tray icon (not OSX)"!  Turns outs VSTHost also has an option that minimizes to tray - however, unlike Pedalboard2, it has not option to start the program minimized.

Lastly, just to be perfectly clear - this setup will run the plugin on ANYthing going to your speakers or headphones, not just one particular application (such as foobar2000, Audacity, Fidelify, etc.).  It also applies to music playing through your web browser, for example.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #625 of 1,377
Finally got Hijack and Sonarworks working. Pedalboard is a worthless piece of schiit. Pops and sputters all over your sound. Can't overstate how crippled and terrible a solution it is. Stock HD800 is preferable. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #626 of 1,377
Here's a guide from a post on page 3 on this thread:

Okay, I got it to work with foobar2000. Here's what you need to do.

Download and install the free trial of Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone. (Or purchase it.)

Download and install the VST adapter in foobar2000.

Go to Components, VST plugins and add the Sonarworks plugin.

Go to Playback, DSP Manager and activate the Sonarworks plugin. Then click Configure Selected.

Foobar doesn't recognize the Sonar plugin. The folder is empty when I select to install it, even though the .dll file is there, if I physically open the folder.
When I try drag & dropping the .dll file it gives me this message "Could not load component "Reference3_x64.dll"

Can someone tell me how I can do a complete uninstall of Sonarworks & all the files it installed? The install process nearly took 15 minutes. I don't want any unneeded files on PC & want to completely delete everything it put on my PC.

Of course there is no documentation of how to get rid of everything from Sonarworks.

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #628 of 1,377
foobar is a 32bit application anyway as was already suggested. he tried to load the 64bit dll.

Finally got Hijack and Sonarworks working. Pedalboard is a worthless piece of schiit. Pops and sputters all over your sound. Can't overstate how crippled and terrible a solution it is. Stock HD800 is preferable.

if the sound is wrong(pops clicks cut...), the buffer setting is almost always wrong. and pedalboard can't really guess the ideal value because you can put a great many vsts in it doing from fast and simple tasks, to very advanced DSPs with filters needing a much bigger buffer. and the same thing can happen to any virtual cable used to link the player to pedalboard.
plus the possible mess from picking different sample rate resolutions in the signal path.
in a word, it will work fine for it's limited intended use, when set properly.

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #629 of 1,377

Hijack is OSX, correct?  I can't speak to PedalBoard2 on OSX, but I haven't had any issues with it in Windows.  I had absolutely no pops, sputters, or anything qualifying as what you described in Windows 10. Regardless, I was just quoting a page from Sonarworks directly and wasn't suggesting PedalBoard2 was the best solution.  The post was mainly for @Netherwind or other people who were in a Windows environment.  Unfortunately, Hijack isn't a solution for Windows. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #630 of 1,377
Purchased the full systemwide license but 2 days later and I still have not received the license code.  posted to support with no answer still.  what makes this a bad thing is my demo license is expiring today and even though i have fully paid for it i can no longer use it 
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back