Sometimes cans suprise you....Philips SHP5400!
May 16, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #33 of 45

[size=medium]
Really thanks you @Beyerfan70 for this topic and to you all! I have got one of those headphones tonight (shp 5401)! I really can't wait oh yeah! 
Also really rally thanks to @|joker| because for his fantastic review at b9! (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-82-portable-headphones-reviewed-superlux-hd668b-prodipe-pro-800-added-05-15) !

In Italy I have found a good price over Amazon.it at euro 19,37 "se c'è qualche italiano che sta leggendo"!!. :p

Bye!! :)

p.s.
I love this forum so much! eheheh!
[/size]

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #34 of 45
You know what its like,sometimes a relatively cheap phone will come along,get ignored by everyone and no one ever knows how great they are.
Enter the new-ish SHP4500 from philips
Oh my goodness these open cans are quite a revelation
I picked these up today for £20
because primarily i liked the design,knowing if they were no good i'd give them as a gift.
So while i was out i plugged them in to my sony dap and oh my!
What a terrific suprise i had.
We are talking HUGE SOUNDSTAGE,some very balanced completly un-muddy and clear bass,up front mids,and the philips speciality bright highs which are very crisp indeed and not uncomfortable at all!
The sound is very lovely flat and they also respond very well to equalizer so you can make them sound how you want.
They tend to veer towards the bright sound but in a nice and controlled way.
So far i've listened to some Bowie,Prodigy, Whitesnake,Rainbow,Philip Glass and some Bach and they have performed beautifully with each style.
In my opinion they sound rather like the Audio Technica ATH ES7,but open.
Which when you consider there is a huge difference in price between the two it shows how good they are!
In fact i prefer these to my HD650,high praise indeed!
Comfort wise you can't feel them on which is a plus as the earpads are soft and cover the whole ear,and there is nice cushioning on the headband.
They look a bit like a pair of senns HD202,EH150 ish.
So if you see these then give em a go because they really do deserve to be heard,and at the price you really cant go wrong!

I have the shp5401s, which I think are the same sound quality.  I agree with your review, in my opinion the clarity is excellent across the frequency range with plenty of lower treble and well defined and extended bass although neutral in quantity.  Soundstage is wide and airy, great for using on my computer.

Is there a headphone that has the same sound quality but with more bass and slightly less lower treble?

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #35 of 45
Comfortable cans with fun sound. Here's a picture of Philips SHP5400 with tnb city wallstreet cable replacement. I thought they deserved a shorter and lighter cable that's looking great with remote for my smartphone when using at home or on the go...

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #36 of 45
And here's the SHP5401 that adopts the white look of the american brand with the bitten fruit logo. With stock cable -just new angled metal jack- .
The Koss PortaPro headband and CDR shown on the picture are there for size comparison only. Hope this will help you, Maciek1988.
Otherwise SHP5400 and 5401 are the same in shape, construction, and drivers.
Thanks and best regards from France.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #37 of 45
To answer Star2806's question, with less treble and more bass please try Koss UR-40 Derfmod. Open cans modified with PortaPro drivers inside...

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #38 of 45
This wednesday morning I modded a used Philips HP5401 with the half of the strong cable of an old half-broken AKG k500.
It fits perfectly here... The two missing silver plastic covers on each cup with philips logo on them do not seem to change the global acoustic.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #39 of 45

The result is comfortable and solid for music on the go.

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #40 of 45
Info for those afraid to open the beast. To remove the earpads, gently lift them up with a knife.

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #41 of 45
Four "clics", and the front view of the driver appears...

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #42 of 45
Four screws and the back of the driver appears.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #43 of 45

The inside view of the cup. With vented circular zone behind the driver and path locks for the new thick cable.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #44 of 45

Thanks to Head-fiers, I have discovered this low-cost gem and I have to say that these are the only supra-aural headphones that I really love.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #45 of 45

The closest look of the driver to finish with. Again, thank you to everyone loving these cans...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back