Something in between IE8 and CK10...
Aug 20, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #46 of 90
Ianmedium, I've given the IE8 a good month of regular listening but I can't say how many hours (maybe 60?). I know it's not the 200 you are mentioning but to get to the stage where I'd have been happy with they would have had to transform into literally something else. I concur with the fact that we're have different ways of hearing music, just like wine or food taste.

Aug 20, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #47 of 90
So, to summarise a bit, it seems that the W3 and SM3 are the most suggested models (if we exclude the TF10 since I could not find them comfortable as previously mentioned). Some mentioned the MTCP and the MD edition. It'd be great to know if anyone has compared W3 and SM3 with the other 2 models from Monster. As I said in this thread there's next to no option to audition any of these so I will spend my hard earn money based on a "majority" vote so a big thank you to everyone for sharing knowledge and opinions, I really appreciate it.

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #48 of 90
I own the SM3 and MTPC. The best all round performer for me is the SM3, they are comfortable for me unlike the TF10 which gave me fits. They can seem bland at times though as they are not flashy in any area. They are slightly recessed in the upper midrange/lower treble which makes them great for long listening sessions but does makes the music less sparkley. The best thing I can say about them is how bad most of my other stuff sounds if I switch back to them.

The MTPC is also very nice but in a flashier way. They have more sparkle and bite due to the dynamic speaker. The bass is also nice and does not intrude on the midrange. But they are not as detailed as the SM3. If you listen primarily to rock or Jazz I find the MTPC very engaging. If you slot wider musical tastes I think the SM3 is the better all round performer.

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #49 of 90

Quote:
I own the SM3 and MTPC. The best all round performer for me is the SM3, they are comfortable for me unlike the TF10 which gave me fits. They can seem bland at times though as they are not flashy in any area. They are slightly recessed in the upper midrange/lower treble which makes them great for long listening sessions but does makes the music less sparkley. The best thing I can say about them is how bad most of my other stuff sounds if I switch back to them.

The MTPC is also very nice but in a flashier way. They have more sparkle and bite due to the dynamic speaker. The bass is also nice and does not intrude on the midrange. But they are not as detailed as the SM3. If you listen primarily to rock or Jazz I find the MTPC very engaging. If you slot wider musical tastes I think the SM3 is the better all round performer.

Thank you for your feedback. Based on what you've said I think that I would choose the MTPC as I like the sparkly highs (that's why I owned the CK10 in the past). Now it'd be nice to know how they compare with the W3

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #50 of 90
The funny thing about the Copper is they have lots of energy in the highs in my opinion but it's not fatiguing like some of the IEM's I have tried. But I will warn you they are not as detailed and fast as a BA based IEM. But for the music I listen to they sound pretty nice.

Hopefully someone who has had or has the W3 and the MTPC will respond so you can get feedback in that area.

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #51 of 90

Quote:

Thank you for your feedback. Based on what you've said I think that I would choose the MTPC as I like the sparkly highs (that's why I owned the CK10 in the past). Now it'd be nice to know how they compare with the W3

I've had both, and the W3's have a warmer overall sound than the Coppers (when paired with any of my Sony daps or iPod Touch). The W3's can sound horribly sibilant if you don't get the right fit, whereas the Coppers are easier to fit and don't require so much fiddling around with. The W3's tend to have a more aggressive and livelier sound signature than the Coppers, which was really noticable coming from the IE8's.

I liked the W3's a lot (I bought them three times!) but in the end, I moved to something brighter sounding for my Sony X. From a 'sparkly highs' aspect, I don't think the Coppers or the W3's will give you anything remotely similar to the CK10. But they do both have decent sparkle, it just doesn't take centre stage like the CK10. The Coppers are a softer and smoother listen than the W3. I like quite a lively sound, which is why I chose the FX700's over the Coppers.

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #52 of 90

Quote:
I've had both, and the W3's have a warmer overall sound than the Coppers (when paired with any of my Sony daps or iPod Touch). The W3's can sound horribly sibilant if you don't get the right fit, whereas the Coppers are easier to fit and don't require so much fiddling around with. The W3's tend to have a more aggressive and livelier sound signature than the Coppers, which was really noticable coming from the IE8's.

I liked the W3's a lot (I bought them three times!) but in the end, I moved to something brighter sounding for my Sony X. From a 'sparkly highs' aspect, I don't think the Coppers or the W3's will give you anything remotely similar to the CK10. But they do both have decent sparkle, it just doesn't take centre stage like the CK10. The Coppers are a softer and smoother listen than the W3. I like quite a lively sound, which is why I chose the FX700's over the Coppers.

Thank you for your insight. I know I won't get a bright sound like the CK 10 but I'm happy to compromise as far as I have more clean and sparkly highs than what the IE8 gave me (according to my taste, obviously). I think it will be a tough call between the 2 and maybe a third contender like the Monster MD edition suggested by another member.

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #53 of 90

Quote:

Thank you for your insight. I know I won't get a bright sound like the CK 10 but I'm happy to compromise as far as I have more clean and sparkly highs than what the IE8 gave me (according to my taste, obviously). I think it will be a tough call between the 2 and maybe a third contender like the Monster MD edition suggested by another member.

Hmmm. I tried out cn11's MD's and found the sparkle to be less than the Coppers by quite a margin. The IE8's lack of sparkle is one of the reasons I sold them, the highs were nicely detailed, but totally lacking in sparkle (to me). So I think you'll find the MD's slightly lacking in that respect, especially if you were a lover of the CK10 highs.

What would you be using them with? Sorry if you mentioned it already.

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #55 of 90

Quote:
Hmmm. I tried out cn11's MD's and found the sparkle to be less than the Coppers by quite a margin. The IE8's lack of sparkle is one of the reasons I sold them, the highs were nicely detailed, but totally lacking in sparkle (to me). So I think you'll find the MD's slightly lacking in that respect, especially if you were a lover of the CK10 highs.

What would you be using them with? Sorry if you mentioned it already.

I'd use them with an iPod touch 64gb but I'm thinking of going for a Cowon J3 as I read it sounds even better and there's a decent equalizer. At the moment none of the EQ settings on the ipod work for me so I just listen to it flat.
You have sold the IE8 for the identical reason I did so maybe the Coppers seems the way to go.
I'm not familiar with the FX700

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #57 of 90
Well i actually havent owned them, but they are definitely on my to buy list down the track. I have owned the FX500's and they were awesome. Pretty sure there are a few people who prefer them over the monster brand, i for one would never buy anything monster, but thats just my choice. :wink:

Quote:
What can you tell me about them? I noticed you're from Perth too, where did you buy them?

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #58 of 90

Quote:
Well i actually havent owned them, but they are definitely on my to buy list down the track. I have owned the FX500's and they were awesome. Pretty sure there are a few people who prefer them over the monster brand, i for one would never buy anything monster, but thats just my choice. :wink:

Why wouldn't you buy anything from Monster?

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #59 of 90
Well when i first came into the audio scene i was naive and i purchased some over priced monster HDMI and audio cables through a local store. Then finding out a few months later i was douped it wasnt a great feeling. So for all i care they can go shove it :p 

Aug 21, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #60 of 90
Gerbi, just read your PM. 
Just wanted to add to Townyj statement on JVC FX700. You must have already got your self introduced to FX700. This JVC is another famous and highly regarded (on this forum) Dynamic Driver wooden earphones. Only sold in Japan. Fx700 priced more  then Ortofon e-Q7 and is not worth the money in my opinion.  You can get them from Japanese online seller  Musica Acoustics for around $330 US or so. There are many other places who sell them including ebay.  If you absolutely like dynamic transducer driver and love detailed crystal clear and transparent sound, you might want to consider this.
So many options you must be confused by now
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back