Something for fun than ATH M50S
Apr 2, 2011 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

timewarrior

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone
I ordered an ATH M50S (white box) a month back and went through the correct burn-in and may have heard around 80 hours since I bought. The sound reproduction is very good. I am however looking for something more fun. The mids are recessed and the bass and beats are not enough.

I am looking for an headphone within 200 bucks which is more fun, has more beats - something which immerses me in the music. Please suggest soon because I have just 2 more days to return the headphone.

Thanks
Anand

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 9
What kind of sound signature do you want? If you want more emphasis on the bass the mids would sound even more recessed.
It might be a good idea to tell us what kind of music you listen to as different genres require different sound signatures, like how rock is mid-based while hip-hop requires more bass and treble.

Apr 2, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 9
Change your EQ settings, and bump up your mids and bass.

Like 5370H55V said, other HPs in the price range with more emphasized bass will only have more recessed mids. In fact, the bass will be muddier too, as M50 is on the fine line between bloated overemphasized bass, and adequate bass (it has just a bit more than enough bass where needed, for the extra kick). Choose wisely.
Quote:
Hi Everyone
I ordered an ATH M50S (white box) a month back and went through the correct burn-in and may have heard around 80 hours since I bought. The sound reproduction is very good. I am however looking for something more fun. The mids are recessed and the bass and beats are not enough.

I am looking for an headphone within 200 bucks which is more fun, has more beats - something which immerses me in the music. Please suggest soon because I have just 2 more days to return the headphone.

Thanks
Anand

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 9
Hi
I listen ABBA, Beatles, Country Music and AR Rehman (Slumdog Millionaire music director). Especially for the latter there are many beats but I am not able to enjoy them so much.

I want to use this headphone most on the time on my MacPro desktop - so I dont mind spending on an amplifier if that drastically improves things. I got an E7 but it muddied the sound so I returned it right away.

Would an SRH 840 be better sound wise. If I were to go upto $300 do I have some good options. I am looking for something which simulates surround sound like some bose home theatres, in the headphones.

Thanks
Anand

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Have you auditioned the SRH840?

Many people say the SRH840 is basically a SRH750dj with less bass and better treble. However when I auditioned the SRH750dj it had worse bass than my ATH-M50, and treble was horrendous. That means EVEN IF SRH840 has better treble (maybe it doesn't, depends on the person auditioning), its bass will still be less fun than M50's, and overall it would not be much of an improvement.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. How does HFI 580 compare to SRH840. Am unable to find HFI 580 sold by amazon :frowning2:

Thanks
Anand

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #9 of 9

Thanks. I just ordered 580S which was available as Prime elegible on amazon.

Eagerly waiting for that.

Thanks
Anand
Quote:
Have you auditioned the SRH840?

Many people say the SRH840 is basically a SRH750dj with less bass and better treble. However when I auditioned the SRH750dj it had worse bass than my ATH-M50, and treble was horrendous. That means EVEN IF SRH840 has better treble (maybe it doesn't, depends on the person auditioning), its bass will still be less fun than M50's, and overall it would not be much of an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back