Some Whiplash TWag V1 Cables Turning Green (Split from JH13 Appreciation Thread)
Jun 2, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #181 of 242
So how do you know if the test result was right?  Multiple tests that have the same results are more reliable.

In addition, Kevin Gilmore above indicates there are multiple different kinds of tests for cable composition.  Different tests with re-testing would yield much more reliable results.

Quote:
Quote:
How many different samples did they test from the same wire and other samples of the same wire, or was this a test of just one piece of wire?

Only one single test was carried out and paid for which confirmed what I thought so there was no need for me to have more done.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #182 of 242
Different tests may show difference percentages, but a pure silver cable won't accidentally be 13% copper.  Especially given how much heavier silver is by volume.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #183 of 242

Quote:
So how do you know if the test result was right?  Multiple tests that have the same results are more reliable.

Here is why we are waiting for Cryoparts' results as well - test results from different labs performed by different parties.

You can't really expect Parrots to be spending his time, effort and money doing more and more lab tests while all the other head-fiers just want to free-ride.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #184 of 242

Quote:
From cutting up cables and paying for the tests I have already lost $700+ and I certainly don't wish to wast more money carrying out more tests but if you wish to get more done then please go ahead and let us know the results.

No you haven't.  You've lost whatever you paid for the testing.  They already said they would replace or refund your money.

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #185 of 242
Please report any and all abusive PMs, that isn't appropriate conduct here.

Thanks

People, keep your heads. The issue is known, and being worked on. Don't do things that are againt board terms of service, or that could open you up to lawsuits.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #186 of 242

OK everyone, as promised, here are the two assay results I received on the Twag v1, one dated 05/25/11 and one 06/03/11.

On the assay dated 06/03/11, the Eclipse and Twag v2 are also listed under the v1 results, as I wanted triple confirmation (and from a different lab I originally used) that Twag v2, is, in fact, what was promised to me.

As everyone can see, there does seem to be a problem with some of the Twag v1, as the purity came back on the 05/25/11 assay as 91% pure and 93% pure, while the assay of 06/03/11 came back as 99% pure. So, some, but not all TWag v1 seems to be not as pure as was promised to me by my vendor.

The assay performed on 05/25/11 was done on a piece that Craig sent me that had exhibited the odd “green striping” issue. As one can see from the image of the assay above, the wire was tested twice via ICPE and the results were 91.149% silver and 93.196% purity respectively. Due to the results not quite lining up with the other assay from the UK that was posted earlier in this thread, I opted to send some of v1 I have left here that had not turned green for a test, so I could try and get a handle on what is going on here; I needed to determine if this is/was a batch issue, or an issue with all of the v1.

The second assay is the one that is dated today, 06/03/11. As one can see, this sample of the v1 is 99% pure. One can see the methodology used as fire assay, or “fire assay with an ICP finish”, as the assayer explained to me.

So, my statement on the matter is this:

It appears, at this point, that some, but not all, Twag v1 has a lower purity than I was promised by my vendor. So, some, but not all, Twag v1 may exhibit the “green striping” issue. If your cable is exhibiting the “green striping” issue, please contact Craig for replacement. But, again, not all of v1 appears to have the purity problem, and so therefore should not exhibit the “green striping” issue. So, if your cable looks fine now, it should stay that way for a long time to come, and continue to serve you well long into the future.

I apologize that I let a batch get through that apparently has some problems. This will never happen again, as every new batch of cable I get made, that I state a purity percentage for, will have an assay performed on it before it is released to anyone. If I state a purity percentage, I will have the documentation readily available for anyone who wants to see it. Not all my wire will have a stated percentage of purity, but for that wire that does, feel free to ask for a copy of the assay.

From the very start, both Craig and I have stressed that we will take care of anyone who is having a problem with their v1. This is still the case. If your v1 exhibits any “green striping” issues, please contact Craig, and he will work with you to ensure that you are happy.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #187 of 242
Thank you for the data; hopefully the public assay results (both for current and future cable) will help to mitigate the damage your supplier caused. Best of luck to you and Craig.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #188 of 242
Interesting results.  Thanks for posting, and for your continued transparency.  Does the lab give a margin of error?  Is there some sort of industry standard for variance?  Sorry for my ignorance on this subject.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #190 of 242

Quote:

OK everyone, as promised, here are the two assay results I received on the Twag v1, one dated 05/25/11 and one 06/03/11.

On the assay dated 06/03/11, the Eclipse and Twag v2 are also listed under the v1 results, as I wanted triple confirmation (and from a different lab I originally used) that Twag v2, is, in fact, what was promised to me.

As everyone can see, there does seem to be a problem with some of the Twag v1, as the purity came back on the 05/25/11 assay as 91% pure and 93% pure, while the assay of 06/03/11 came back as 99% pure. So, some, but not all TWag v1 seems to be not as pure as was promised to me by my vendor.

The assay performed on 05/25/11 was done on a piece that Craig sent me that had exhibited the odd “green striping” issue. As one can see from the image of the assay above, the wire was tested twice via ICPE and the results were 91.149% silver and 93.196% purity respectively. Due to the results not quite lining up with the other assay from the UK that was posted earlier in this thread, I opted to send some of v1 I have left here that had not turned green for a test, so I could try and get a handle on what is going on here; I needed to determine if this is/was a batch issue, or an issue with all of the v1.

The second assay is the one that is dated today, 06/03/11. As one can see, this sample of the v1 is 99% pure. One can see the methodology used as fire assay, or “fire assay with an ICP finish”, as the assayer explained to me.

So, my statement on the matter is this:

It appears, at this point, that some, but not all, Twag v1 has a lower purity than I was promised by my vendor. So, some, but not all, Twag v1 may exhibit the “green striping” issue. If your cable is exhibiting the “green striping” issue, please contact Craig for replacement. But, again, not all of v1 appears to have the purity problem, and so therefore should not exhibit the “green striping” issue. So, if your cable looks fine now, it should stay that way for a long time to come, and continue to serve you well long into the future.

I apologize that I let a batch get through that apparently has some problems. This will never happen again, as every new batch of cable I get made, that I state a purity percentage for, will have an assay performed on it before it is released to anyone. If I state a purity percentage, I will have the documentation readily available for anyone who wants to see it. Not all my wire will have a stated percentage of purity, but for that wire that does, feel free to ask for a copy of the assay.

From the very start, both Craig and I have stressed that we will take care of anyone who is having a problem with their v1. This is still the case. If your v1 exhibits any “green striping” issues, please contact Craig, and he will work with you to ensure that you are happy.

Thanks Lee for Posting this. 

So a quick recap. I will be replacing cables that exhibit any "green" colorization. This will go through a RMA process. Please contact me at csanborn@whiplashaudio.com to obtain the RMA form. 

When emailing me, please have the following information:

-The email address in which the v1 order was placed in.
-The name that was used
-What cable(s) is being replaced.

Again I would like to so offer my apologies for the inconvenience that is may have caused. What I'm glad to say is that the new Eclipse is ready to ship and it really came out so beautiful. 

Craig

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #191 of 242
Thanks Lee and Craig,

I'm not sure whether you've addressed this already, but don't you think it would be fairest for anyone with the TWAG V1 (and proof of purchase) to be able to swap it out for the V2 - not just those who have the "greening" problem?  The reason why is that no one really knows whether their V1 is the "pure" one or the less than totally pure one, and so those who purchased the V1 should not have to worry in the future if their wire will go green - and indeed, even if it doesn't go green, whether their wire is in fact the 99.99 percent (or whatever) that was advertised?

As I'm a lucky owner of the V2, I realize I don't have a stake in this, but just a thought... 

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #192 of 242
For the purposes of transparency let me state right off the bat that I own a v1 cable this IS NOT green or greening furthermore I bought it second hand (though in unused condition).

However, I find myself in the situation that no-one and that includes the cable manufacturer or wire supplier can verify with supporting documentation or indeed certainty that this cable is the 99.9*% silver it was sold as.

My "method" for ascertaining if I did indeed received what I was sold is to wait to see if it starts to go green?

I REALLY do not want to beat up on whiplash, but I find this to be a far from satisfactory situation.

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #193 of 242
Actually I agree with everyone on this. I got lost in the verbiage and I was only trying to refer to the "green" issue.

I will be replacing v1 cables whether they are green or not. 

My previous statement I made about what info I need is true. I have made a few exceptions, however I will be rather strict on following these simple requirements.

When emailing me, please have the following information:

-The email address in which the v1 order was placed in.

-The name that was used

-What cable(s) is being replaced.

Also, turn around time maybe as long as 4 weeks. I will do my best, however I have a rather large festival that I'm a vendor at and its for 8 days. Its from June 8th - 10th. I will be unavailable for most of that time if not all. 

So I'm sorry about the confusion. 

Craig

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #194 of 242
As the issue is purely cosmetic I think the previous terms stated were fair: green cables are replaced. Fans of the TWag should accept that, doing so will help the vendor stay in business.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #195 of 242
The issue isn't purely cosmetic.  The cables were sold as being remarkably pure silver.  Not just any old "jewelry grade silver" but 99.999% pure.  Whether you care or not is a different issue, but since that was the big difference with these cables to make them better than everyone else, having them be silver plated copper is a significant malfeasance.  If I'd paid for 99.999% and gotten even 99.3%, I'd be insisting on either what I paid for (99.999% silver) or a refund.  That said, I wouldn't have bought them because they were 99.999% silver, because I don't personally think there's any way that could make a difference, but it certainly was a marketing point both CryoParts and Whiplash touted extensively. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back