Some Whiplash TWag V1 Cables Turning Green (Split from JH13 Appreciation Thread)
Jun 4, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #196 of 242
I am disappointed that the cable that was advertised as 99.99+ is less than that. I highly doubt it made/makes a difference but it was touted as that and buyers should have received just that. My cable is not green but since it's market value is pretty much nil I'm going to take one of the adapter cables apart and scrape the strands to see if the core is copper. Once I get past the hot glue covering the solder joints.

There is nothing wrong with silver plated copper some of my favorite cables use this but in the past when I bought SPC I did so knowingly and did not pay a premium for ultra pure silver.

If none of the tests reveal ultra pure silver when this cable was first tested and found to be ok was it 99.99+ or below that high standard and deemed to be "close enough".

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #197 of 242
I won't argue with you, but I will point out that there are far worse cases of marketing dishonesties in the audio world, perpetrated by this vendor, other vendors, reviewers and consumers. Atleast, this time, it seems they made an honest mistake, or were taken in by their wire supplier.

The issue isn't purely cosmetic.  The cables were sold as being remarkably pure silver.  Not just any old "jewelry grade silver" but 99.999% pure.  Whether you care or not is a different issue, but since that was the big difference with these cables to make them better than everyone else, having them be silver plated copper is a significant malfeasance.  If I'd paid for 99.999% and gotten even 99.3%, I'd be insisting on either what I paid for (99.999% silver) or a refund.  That said, I wouldn't have bought them because they were 99.999% silver, because I don't personally think there's any way that could make a difference, but it certainly was a marketing point both CryoParts and Whiplash touted extensively. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #198 of 242
Actually I agree with everyone on this. I got lost in the verbiage and I was only trying to refer to the "green" issue.

I will be replacing v1 cables whether they are green or not. 

My previous statement I made about what info I need is true. I have made a few exceptions, however I will be rather strict on following these simple requirements.

When emailing me, please have the following information:

-The email address in which the v1 order was placed in.

-The name that was used

-What cable(s) is being replaced.

Also, turn around time maybe as long as 4 weeks. I will do my best, however I have a rather large festival that I'm a vendor at and its for 8 days. Its from June 8th - 10th. I will be unavailable for most of that time if not all. 

So I'm sorry about the confusion. 

Craig

Thanks for the clarification Craig.

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #199 of 242
It's interesting that some of the silver wire has a higher copper content than other.  I don't own a TWag, but I do own the OM JH13 silver cable, and only one of the two strands turned green.  I've seen a number of other silver cables turn green on only one of the two strands. Maybe the variation in copper content is the reason for this?

Of course, none of this explains why people with copper cables like the TWcu rarely seem to report their cables turning green ???!??

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #200 of 242

Quote:
It's interesting that some of the silver wire has a higher copper content than other.  I don't own a TWag, but I do own the OM JH13 silver cable, and only one of the two strands turned green.  I've seen a number of other silver cables turn green on only one of the two strands. Maybe the variation in copper content is the reason for this?

Nothing sold as solid silver (as opposed to silver plated copper) should be turning green. Period.

se

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #202 of 242
Sounds like the vendor is doing everything the should do to address this issue. Everyone should be happy. If some people still feel as is they didn't get treated fairly by the vendor then don't buy anything else from him. It seems like this is a wound that just keeps getting picked at.  one thing though, everyone has me curioius as to what the difference in sound is between the V1 with the lower concentration of silver and the one with the higher concentration of silver.   

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #203 of 242
Makes you think twice of getting/upgrading to very expensive cables without knowing if it's the genuine article.  I guess next time, ask for a proof that the wires are indeed pure silver(both vendor and customer) and not rely on what the supplier said to the vendor(in other words, "put it in writing").  So that the vendor did all the testing and everything they claim is true(if not stop buying from that supplier) so something like this won't happen again.  IMHO, I think the one to blame here is the wire supplier not the cable vendor.  Of course we don't know this since we don't know if the vendor knew about this(fault/mistake) or relied on the supplier's word.  

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #205 of 242
everyone has me curioius as to what the difference in sound is between the V1 with the lower concentration of silver and the one with the higher concentration of silver.   

-----

Irrelevant.

You pay for 99.999999%'silver and that is what you should get.

You could just as easily ask what is the sound difference between silver v copper v chicken wire.

This entire thread is about the make up (and hence price) of the product on offer, not the workmanship or sound of it.

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #206 of 242
Sounds like the vendor is doing everything the should do to address this issue. Everyone should be happy. r.   

Agreed, an error has been found, testing that would have detected this error wasn't being performed and Lee says it will be in the future. This can only be a good thing for both Lee, Craig and ultimately the customers, even considering that the additional costs involved with this testing will be passed down the chain.

But everyone in the future will end up with a product the quality of which can be verified.

iPhone post so please excuse the awful English.

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #208 of 242
i think craig is doing a wonderful job at righting the wrong. but will we be getting v1 cable replacements or will we be upgraded to v2? jw because it was stated that there wasnt anymore v1 left

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #209 of 242

Quote:
There seems to be people now trying to buy used V1 cables with the intention of getting those cables exchanged for the V2 and I have also noticed on the FS forum that people have actually raised the price of the V1 the were previously selling at a cheaper price and stating in the ad that the cable can be exchanged for the V2.
I don't think this is fair on whiplash audio and can't see why they should have to exchange cables for people when those people bought the V1 already knowing about this issue trying to save themselves a few bucks.
if you want a V2 then you should have to pay full price for it and exchanges IMHO should only be allowed for those who purchased the cable before all this came out or those who can provide proof of purchase.
I don't see why whiplash should have to lose out because of people trying to get a cheap deal.

I have seen this coming when Parrots you went around publicizing and 'educating' that Twag V1 cable are not 99.999% silver. Current owners will just demand for a free exchange on the argument that they have no way to determine if their cables are made with high silver content. They will do so even if they love the sound from their current twag v1. I wonder how many twag v1 owners had actually believed and bought twag v1 on the ground that it is a 99.999% silver cable and not a 99% one? Not sure about the audible difference between these two either. But then, free upgrade for twag v2. Why not?

Whiplash audio already loses much when it exchanges affected twag v1 cables for free - connector plugs and new sets of wires.
They have got no more supply of twag v1 cables and are forced to exchange with twag v2 cables.

This is the kind of moral hazard we will always face. People will jump in when they see opportunity to rip someone else off.

Biggest victim of all this is really Whiplash Audio.

I hope that they will be able to recover from this if not, there will be no more cables for the all of us.

Happy ending? I don't think so.

Craig has really got a tough time for the twag v1 cables he received from Cryoparts.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #210 of 242

Quote:
I have seen this coming when Parrots you went around publicizing and 'educating' that Twag V1 cable are not 99.999% silver. Current owners will just demand for a free exchange on the argument that they have no way to determine if their cables are made with high silver content. They will do so even if they love the sound from their current twag v1. I wonder how many twag v1 owners had actually believed and bought twag v1 on the ground that it is a 99.999% silver cable and not a 99% one? Not sure about the audible difference between these two either. But then, free upgrade for twag v2. Why not?

Whiplash audio already loses much when it exchanges affected twag v1 cables for free - connector plugs and new sets of wires.
They have got no more supply of twag v1 cables and are forced to exchange with twag v2 cables.

This is the kind of moral hazard we will always face. People will jump in when they see opportunity to rip someone else off.

Biggest victim of all this is really Whiplash Audio.

I hope that they will be able to recover from this if not, there will be no more cables for the all of us.

Happy ending? I don't think so.

Craig has really got a tough time for the twag v1 cables he received from Cryoparts.

But couldn't all of this have been avoided if Craig tested the cables before selling them? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything of the sort however it seems to me that the "biggest victim" is one because they didn't test what was being supplied to them and just put faith in their supplier. 

Also, I'm really interested in Craig has any explanation for the v2 that was not near 99.99999% pure. I understand that once you reach 99% the merit of any difference is questionable at best however charging a premium for something that is supposedly ultra ULTRA pure silver that really isn't seems a bit off to me....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back