Some Whiplash TWag V1 Cables Turning Green (Split from JH13 Appreciation Thread)
Apr 8, 2011 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 242

b0ck3n

500+ Head-Fier
So the TWag is 100% silver and never turns blue/green?

Quote:
I'm pairing mine balanced with the protector and silver dragon iem cable, and got a single-ended twag on the way. hopefully, it will improve. hated the discoloration of the stock clear cable (turning green).

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 242

Quote:
Yeah I know, I was just under the impression that these weren't 100% pure

oh yeah....you're right, they're only 99.99998% silver   
rolleyes.gif
   they're totes gonna turn green

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 242
That's not what I meant
redface.gif

Having never heard aftermarket cables I'm skeptic as to whether they make an audible difference, but I like the look of a clear/silver cable and the wooden bead on the V2 is sexy aswell.

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 242
someone was just selling a Twag on the marketplace section that had turned green.  I think this happens to all silver regardless.

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 242

Quote:
someone was just selling a Twag on the marketplace section that had turned green.  I think this happens to all silver regardless.

Silver doesn't turn green with oxidation, it turns black.

Copper turns green with oxidation. Cables made of copper with a very thin coating of silver may turn green over time, but pure silver won't.

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 242

Quote:
Silver doesn't turn green with oxidation, it turns black.

Copper turns green with oxidation. Cables made of copper with a very thin coating of silver may turn green over time, but pure silver won't.

Yeah, that sounds right.  So why would a Twag turn green?

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 242
i dunno...but the twag turned green with oxidation... i've seen pics on the fs forum.... and it was definately green

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #12 of 242

Quote:
i dunno...but the twag turned green with oxidation... i've seen pics on the fs forum.... and it was definately green

Just to be clear: I wasn't saying you were wrong about that! Just stating the basic chemistry: When silver oxidizes it turns black, when copper oxidizes it turns green.

Obviously, the twag cable has quite a bit of copper.

Unique melody's Beat Audio cables seem as though they are the same way--I'd be happy to hear differently, though.

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 242
Hi Kunlun,

If Twag Cable has copper, they will be in a BIG trouble.....

And Stephen from UM sent me this e-mail when I asked about the material used on the Cronus Cable.

"Hi,
Those cables are not from UM, but they are  Beat Audio, which is another company that I distribute for that sells high quality cables.
I didn't put the materials on the web pages because Beat Audio lab believes that the sound signatures of cables are more than just material. There are many other factors that contributes to the sound.
However, you still have the right to know about the material.
It suppresses pure copper on the surface of 8NOFC.
Also, the difference in prices reflect their sound quality.

Cheers,

Stephen"

Rodrigo Pita

Quote:
Just to be clear: I wasn't saying you were wrong about that! Just stating the basic chemistry: When silver oxidizes it turns black, when copper oxidizes it turns green.

Obviously, the twag cable has quite a bit of copper.

Unique melody's Beat Audio cables seem as though they are the same way--I'd be happy to hear differently, though.

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #14 of 242

Quote:
Hi Kunlun,

If Twag Cable has copper, they will be in a BIG trouble.....

And Stephen from UM sent me this e-mail when I asked about the material used on the Cronus Cable.

"Hi,
Those cables are not from UM, but they are  Beat Audio, which is another company that I distribute for that sells high quality cables.
I didn't put the materials on the web pages because Beat Audio lab believes that the sound signatures of cables are more than just material. There are many other factors that contributes to the sound.
However, you still have the right to know about the material.
It suppresses pure copper on the surface of 8NOFC.
Also, the difference in prices reflect their sound quality.

Cheers,

Stephen"

Rodrigo Pita

Hi Mr Pita,
I guess they are in big trouble then? I'm pretty sure we are just talking about basic chemisty here.

I think oxygen free copper is a bit of a problem because it's not so easy to keep it oxygen free, any degradation of the lining with use or time will lead to oxidation. Thank you very much for the info about Beat Audio cables, though!

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #15 of 242

Quote:

Hi Mr Pita,
I guess they are in big trouble then? I'm pretty sure we are just talking about basic chemisty here.

I think oxygen free copper is a bit of a problem because it's not so easy to keep it oxygen free, any degradation of the lining with use or time will lead to oxidation. Thank you very much for the info about Beat Audio cables, though!

Don't worry Kunlun, we are just talking about chemisty =)

Take Care,
   Rodrigo Pita

Users who are viewing this thread

Back