some people who post their so called ''advice'' are working for headphones companys
Feb 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #16 of 34
Why are they call shills?

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:
I think this thread was a good idea, it makes people think. Head-fi is considered a big joke in some other audiophile sites anyway, and I think there's reason for that.

I think it's reasonable to assume that any audiophile site not based around the scientific method should be taken primarily a source of entertainment rather than information.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:
I would like to go on record that I am not working undercover. 
size]

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:
Some prolific posters here seem to be rain makers of sorts. They start a thread about some unknown product from some unknown company, and BAM, a month or two later, it's all everyone can talk about. It gets recommended every 5 minutes and people buy them in droves. The latest example of that is the C&C BH portable headphone amplifier.

Some subjective impressions are so out of this world, that I sometimes wonder if it's just the usual audiophile rhetoric, or if those impressions are paid for. There's no way to know for sure.

One thing is certain either way: Head-Fi is Good Business™.

cough gemini takstar haha... i got so many recommendations for them already.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:
When I post an item for sale, I usually ask a very realistic price.  The forum allows you to click the option "or Best Offer" that you can add to your listing.  However, I rarely do that.  But, this doesn't stop those from still trying to offer you a lower price.  To me, I'm not here to participate in a marketplace.  I just want to sell my items to another member for an honest, realistic price but not over-priced.  I often consider a lower bid to be an insult to me.

I feel your pain, but I don't let if bother me - somebody recently offered me some exotic fish for my Quads. People are a bit nutty and that will never change.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

I think it's reasonable to assume that any audiophile site not based around the scientific method should be taken primarily a source of entertainment rather than information.

Personally, I think the scientific method is as good a source of entertainment as any.
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #22 of 34
We have a saying amongst my friends: "Take what you need and leave the rest." I think that's pretty good advice in many situations in life. I just don't let stuff bother me like I used to - it's not my website and I have no reason to expect it to conform to my wishes. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #25 of 34
Now that I've been "outted" I'm seriously ready to cut back a bit around here.  Instead of giving free advice, building tutorials and heavily documenting modification processes for various headphones, I should have been charging a price instead.

As to the comment regarding Head-Fi as being a "joke" among the other audiophile forums, that's kind of silly.  I've been around plenty of audio forums and have never really gotten that impression about Head-Fi.  Head-Fi is what it is:  no more, no less.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:
Personally, I think the scientific method is as good a source of entertainment as any.
wink.gif

Precisely...

For instance, stop by hydrogenaudio sometime for some laughs. :D

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #28 of 34
There is a lot of hype here I won't deny, but we are pretty vigilant and brutal against actual shilling. Regardless, considering how bad the consequences of being caught are (we can readily delete all discussion of a company or product), it is more worth it for a company to simply pay for google advertising or become a sponsor and have promotions and giveaways.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Feeling like it's time to soon retire from this place and keep the hobby to myself.

That would be a pity, wje, as your posts are among the more informed and intelligent--and literate. Maybe just drop the volunteering and try not to think of low balling as insulting. It isn't really; it's just trying to get something you probably can't afford for a price you can.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back