some people who post their so called ''advice'' are working for headphones companys
Feb 9, 2013 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

SoundNation

New Head-Fier
so they will say anything to buy their product.
watch out and dont believe everything you read here. Iam not saying that everybody
is working undercover here. just watch out when u read their so called ''opinion''
its mostly marketing CRAP

now of course these people will reply here talking about how stupid this post is bla bla bla
THINK AND DONT BELIEVE THE INTERNET HYPE

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 34
But isn't it nice to have a medium (internet forums) to be able to sort the marketing BS from the "user experiences"? (With experience in internet forums this is possible.

It used to be that you had ads and magazines whos editors described all gear being awesome with slight differences in the awesomeness.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 34
I would like to go on record that I am not working undercover. 
size]

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 34
Some prolific posters here seem to be rain makers of sorts. They start a thread about some unknown product from some unknown company, and BAM, a month or two later, it's all everyone can talk about. It gets recommended every 5 minutes and people buy them in droves. The latest example of that is the C&C BH portable headphone amplifier.

Some subjective impressions are so out of this world, that I sometimes wonder if it's just the usual audiophile rhetoric, or if those impressions are paid for. There's no way to know for sure.

One thing is certain either way: Head-Fi is Good Business™.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 34
LOL a lot of peeps just want their 15 minutes of headfi fame for discovering something decent.This usually happens more with lower cost or lesser known brands. So for a known brand you get a thread titled 'this headphone review or impressions'.
but for an unknown or cheapie u get a thread titled ' the new headphone here, better than a -insert hi end headphone here-'

the worst part is when peeps go into the ' i'd pay this much' e-peen contest.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:
They are referred to as shills and have been around here for a long time.  Last few years less so, but it used to get a little crazy...

Cheers!

I've been around here a long time, and I'm not a shill.  
size]

I have some favorites, but I'll never be a prophet for just a single headphone brand.  
size]

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:
Some prolific posters here seem to be rain makers of sorts. They start a thread about some unknown product from some unknown company, and BAM, a month or two later, it's all everyone can talk about. It gets recommended every 5 minutes and people buy them in droves. The latest example of that is the C&C BH portable headphone amplifier.

Some subjective impressions are so out of this world, that I sometimes wonder if it's just the usual audiophile rhetoric, or if those impressions are paid for. There's no way to know for sure.

One thing is certain either way: Head-Fi is Good Business™.

I used to own the C&C amp before it was so in style.  It is a great amp, though.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 34
so they will say anything to buy their product.
watch out and dont believe everything you read here. Iam not saying that everybody
is working undercover here. just watch out when u read their so called ''opinion''
its mostly marketing CRAP

now of course these people will reply here talking about how stupid this post is bla bla bla

This is news to you? lol - you must be new here...

There are entire "review sites" that are bought and paid for by marketing companies. The good thing about a place like head-fi is that for every shill that tries to post some hyperbole, there are 50 head-fiers willing to tell them they are full of cr@p.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

I think for 19 posts, you've made some good observations.  Yet, you've also overlooked the ability of others - not connected to any headphone brand, who have been quite capable of trying to offer you some great assistance.  For example, here is your thread where Malveaux provided some excellent responses for your question. Not once, did he try and force the opinion of one brand on you.  Instead, he offered half a dozen choices for you to consider.  The "community" here is what makes this place great.  I've loved sharing and collaborating on many items and areas here.  This is my hobby.  I don't seek to make a dime here.

The post if great information from Malveaux: http://www.head-fi.org/t/648028/advice-for-headphone

However, there are some things that do bug me here, and currently hinge my thoughts about hanging around here too much longer.

1. When I post an item for sale, I usually ask a very realistic price.  The forum allows you to click the option "or Best Offer" that you can add to your listing.  However, I rarely do that.  But, this doesn't stop those from still trying to offer you a lower price.  To me, I'm not here to participate in a marketplace.  I just want to sell my items to another member for an honest, realistic price but not over-priced.  I often consider a lower bid to be an insult to me.
  2. I've taken on volunteer duties to ship leather J$ Beyerdynamic pads to purchasers who would send their PayPal payment to J$ (Jeremy) and then the shipping payment to me.  I'd then ship the pads out within 24 hours, or the next business day that the post office was open.  There are "fixed" costs in this project, and none of them have any profit built it.  Especially, the shipping part, which is all my time volunteered.  However, I've had some people who want to negotiate with me.  This is not fun.  I'm not a charity.

Feeling like it's time to soon retire from this place and keep the hobby to myself.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 34
There are shills everywhere. This thread is a pointless attempt to cry about frivolous issues, you either believe what you read or you don't and do your own research. There are plenty of honest people on these forums that genuinely want to help every newbie that comes along. You will hear it more often than not "take what I'm saying with a grain of salt" and that is exactly what you should do. Thinking that the people on the other side of the screen, that recommend headphones, are somehow "playing for the other team" is just being paranoid.

I agree with wje though, in my experience.. low ballers just don't pay attention to the listings saying "No low ballers.". I usually just don't respond to them and move on, but I see how it can be frustrating.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 34
please leave blank

Quote:
There are plenty of honest people on these forums that genuinely want to help every newbie that comes along. .

Very true

Quote:
Some prolific posters here seem to be rain makers of sorts. They start a thread about some unknown product from some unknown company, and BAM, a month or two later, it's all everyone can talk about. It gets recommended every 5 minutes and people buy them in droves.

Well, they buy them when they are available, usually 6 to 8 months after they are initially mentioned. I think most people here can lock-on to other members who have similar tastes and just go with that as a guideline.

Quote:
The good thing about a place like head-fi is that for every shill that tries to post some hyperbole, there are 50 head-fiers willing to tell them they are full of cr@p.

And there are 5000 other head-fiers who believe the hyperbole...

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:
There are shills everywhere. This thread is a pointless attempt to cry about frivolous issues, you either believe what you read or you don't and do your own research. There are plenty of honest people on these forums that genuinely want to help every newbie that comes along. You will hear it more often than not "take what I'm saying with a grain of salt" and that is exactly what you should do. Thinking that the people on the other side of the screen, that recommend headphones, are somehow "playing for the other team" is just being paranoid.

I agree with wje though, in my experience.. low ballers just don't pay attention to the listings saying "No low ballers.". I usually just don't respond to them and move on, but I see how it can be frustrating.

I think this thread was a good idea, it makes people think. Head-fi is considered a big joke in some other audiophile sites anyway, and I think there's reason for that.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 34
What's really worrisome are shills in disguise.  Those are the ones that hide behind supposedly superior measurements and then challenge anyone who questions it to a double-blind test.  Well, IMHO, double-blind tests are crap.  All they prove is that people have trouble distinguishing differences on the spur of the moment (Duh!).  You have to live with equipment for awhile, discover how it does with your particular music preferences, headphones, listening tastes, etc.

Sorry for mentioning DBT, but if we're considering shills, we need to consider all the sources and techniques.  Yes, I'm a MOT, but a well-known-one in DIY circles and I try to be honest at all times.  Do other people make great products?  Absolutely.  Beware those who claim otherwise and attempt to denigrate the honest hard-work and years of experience of others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back