Solid State or Tube Amp for HE-500?
May 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Peculier

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get the HE-500 or HE-5LE, but I've heard that their highs can be tiring very quickly, and I heard that Tube amps like the Schiit Lyr are good paired with it. Can anyone give any experience?

May 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 27
I matched my 5LE with a Schiit Lyr hybrid ss/tube and the results is astonishing the 5LE need some power but I understand the 500 is more effecient

May 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 27
Tube hybrid like the Schiit Lyr would be great!

The Lyr drove the HE-500 to new levels, thats for sure.

May 3, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:
Tube hybrid like the Schiit Lyr would be great!

The Lyr drove the HE-500 to new levels, thats for sure.

I had this setup. It was incredible!! Jinks Chris 
wink_face.gif

May 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:
I'm looking to get the HE-500 or HE-5LE, but I've heard that their highs can be tiring very quickly, and I heard that Tube amps like the Schiit Lyr are good paired with it. Can anyone give any experience?

The HE-500 is very natural sounding, it's not overly bright or fatiguing at all.

It is great off solid state or tube. By the way, the Lyr really isn't all that tubey, it's a hybrid, so you're listening to solid state and tube.

Just get something reliable that generates more than 1 watt and go with it. You can do it for $200 or up to whatever you want to spend to achieve that (some 1 watters are the NFB-12.1 (more like 3 watts) and the Asgard (1.3ish watts).

I use both the Asgard & Lyr with my HE500. The Asgard is a touch brighter. The Lyr has more low end warmth.

Very best,

May 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 27
Hey boys, how is the NFB-12?

I just wanted a quick confirm since I'm gonna buy one in a few minutes...

May 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 27
I found that my Concerto ran out of gas with the HE-500's.  Certainly good to a point, but not optimum.  Channel Islands VHP-1/VAC-1 has more grunt, but still not ideal.  So much more grip and dynamic headroom with my Opera Audio Consonance (two EL84's and one 12AU7).  Although touted as "easier to drive", these need extra juice to sound their best.

May 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:
Hey boys, how is the NFB-12?

I just wanted a quick confirm since I'm gonna buy one in a few minutes...

It's an excellent value for the money. Decent DAC. Great amplifier. Overall a good package. One of the best power/performance options per dollar you could get.

Very best,

May 4, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 27
Thanks for all the input guys! Right now as a DAC/Amp I'm using the Yulong D100 to drive some Beyerdynamic DT770s. Would it be worth it to buy a Lyr and use that as an amp instead of the D100's proprietary amp with the HE-500 or 5LE?

May 4, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

NFB-12 is very good. Nice solid state amp and a very good dac IMO. Underpriced and underrated.

Quote:

It's an excellent value for the money. Decent DAC. Great amplifier. Overall a good package. One of the best power/performance options per dollar you could get.

Very best,

Ok now NFB-12, or HDP?

I swear nothing beats the HDP, although both of you dudes are probably more experience than I am at this point since I don't post as much anymore so I'm not as in-tune with the market as I used to be.

May 4, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #12 of 27
They are both good. I have only owned the audio gd stuff, so I'm really only comfortable making suggestions in that camp.

May 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Ok now NFB-12, or HDP?

I swear nothing beats the HDP, although both of you dudes are probably more experience than I am at this point since I don't post as much anymore so I'm not as in-tune with the market as I used to be.

The HDP is excellent as a DAC, but I wouldn't use it as an amp primarily for something like the HE-500 or any ortho that really needs 1 watt or more to become fully dynamic.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back