Solid state amp for HD650
May 7, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #61 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I don't have enough cash to feed myself for a week given my amp and dac purchase so I'm going to have to like the setup that's coming whether I want to or not for a long while:
HD650 + some cable or other, would be nice to have a spare 3.5mm cable.
supermacro LE
modded MD-10

smily_headphones1.gif

I don't see what is so good about balanced? I went to the local boutique audio store (populated with x-can v3s and DAC1s and some other crazy £15000 gear) and in all fairness the guy does seem to know his stuff and he claims that balanced is only necessary for large house setups and cable lengths above 10metres.....I can tell you he certainly knows of head-fi!

And before anyone asks how I'm going to survive without food money for a week or so without starving, I have all the free May art week festival barbecues lined up for all the local colleges. free food and drink aplenty!

Who is Alex?

p.s. the stuff above amounts to £150 for the HD650
£230 for the DAC and £200 for the supermacro I think.
versus £900+shipping for the headroom MAX balanced unit....
So I'm saving £470+shipping which I can use to buy westone3s or eat for 115days or put towards a new laptop, new desktop, ten cheap flights within europe...

However, I'm sure I will buy a proper desktop listening station when I leave university and don't have to move my stuff around every 8 or 6weeks. Protability is key!

Wow, is it worth the starvation??
plainface.gif

May 7, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #62 of 68
No starvation yet! water coolers abound and many free lunch and dinner barbecues await! Plus it's all part of the fun. I technically don't need to starve, i just need to get more money from my parents or get a job but finals are coming so jobs are out of the question.

Yes, food gets me through a few hours, music makes things bearable when I feel down or stressed with work and exam stuff.
I used to eat because of stress and was 105Kg, now I listen to music and get emotionally touched by a good piece well played back through headgear and now I'm healthy too at 65Kg and stable!! Feel the power of the HEAD-FI diet!

OK - back on topic!

May 8, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #63 of 68
Didn't sit and read all the posts as there was so many.
I'm sorry if I am duplicating anything that has already been said.

I note you live in the UK.

Have you tried the Graham Slee amp with optional external power supply?

Sennheiser were using this amp last year as a reference amp to demonstrate the HD650's.

Might be worth a look.

May 8, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #64 of 68
Quote:

Well I don't have enough cash to feed myself for a week given my amp and dac purchase so I'm going to have to like the setup that's coming whether I want to or not for a long while:
HD650 + some cable or other, would be nice to have a spare 3.5mm cable.
supermacro LE
modded MD-10

smily_headphones1.gif

I don't see what is so good about balanced? I went to the local boutique audio store (populated with x-can v3s and DAC1s and some other crazy £15000 gear) and in all fairness the guy does seem to know his stuff and he claims that balanced is only necessary for large house setups and cable lengths above 10metres.....I can tell you he certainly knows of head-fi!

And before anyone asks how I'm going to survive without food money for a week or so without starving, I have all the free May art week festival barbecues lined up for all the local colleges. free food and drink aplenty!

Who is Alex?

p.s. the stuff above amounts to £150 for the HD650
£230 for the DAC and £200 for the supermacro I think.
versus £900+shipping for the headroom MAX balanced unit....
So I'm saving £470+shipping which I can use to buy westone3s or eat for 115days or put towards a new laptop, new desktop, ten cheap flights within europe...

However, I'm sure I will buy a proper desktop listening station when I leave university and don't have to move my stuff around every 8 or 6weeks. Protability is key!

People that claim balanced doesn't make a difference are the same people that never heard a balanced set up before..

May 8, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #65 of 68
Anyone know where I can get a balanced setup test in the UK?

Noticed you have balanced 650s and sa5000s - which sees most gain from balancing?
I'm very interested since I have the sa5000s and will get HD650 - how do they compliment eachother? from my intial tests the HD650 and SA5000s are the complete opposite so go superbly together.

May 8, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #66 of 68
Quote:

The guy doesn't have a clue.
He's talking about balanced ICs, which is someting different alltogether and has NOTHING to do with the balanced driving of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back