Solid state amp for HD650
May 7, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #46 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to know what the best solid state amp for the 650 is too. under $1000 dollars that is and single ended not balanced. I'll do that later

RSA HR-2!

What did you expect me to say?

May 7, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #48 of 68
I know the OP said he didn't want to deal with balanced but if we're talking about the $900ish range, you may want to consider the HR Balanced Desktop. Yes Iknow you said you didn't want to deal with balanced yet, but it does have single ended inputs and uses combo jacks so you can drive 2 headphones at once. You may also want to consider the Headamp GS-1 which is another option.

May 7, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #52 of 68
Sorry to hijack the thread (again, but..).. heck can Ray or Xin claim this:

- 400% increase in audio output
- Cleaner, richer highs, mids, and bass
- Extends battery life of audio players
- Drives headphones up to 600 ohms
- 2 channel audio splitter
- Long battery life of 22 hours
- (2 Energizer batteries included)
- Available in black or white

all for 29.99!!

May 7, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #53 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hijack the thread (again, but..).. heck can Ray or Xin claim this:

- 400% increase in audio output
- Cleaner, richer highs, mids, and bass
- Extends battery life of audio players
- Drives headphones up to 600 ohms
- 2 channel audio splitter
- Long battery life of 22 hours
- (2 Energizer batteries included)
- Available in black or white

all for 29.99!!

What they dont say!

- 400% increase in audio output (at 10% distortion)
- Cleaner, richer highs, mids, and bass (Then a 1940's am radio)
- Extends battery life of audio players (extends the poor listening experience)
- Drives headphones up to 600 ohms (right to the stereo shop for new drivers)
- 2 channel audio splitter (SWEEEEET!)
- Long battery life of 22 hours (when connected to your car battery)
- (2 Energizer batteries included) (makes it almost worth it)
- Available in black or white (because it was the only cheap plastic avail)

May 7, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #54 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should say that whilst the HD650s were new, I think they had been used before because there were nothing like my HD595s out of the box - in fact the shop allows you to demo the whole Senn range with kit like the benchmark DAC1, the X-Can V3 and some weird tube amps (Lagthos?) and a marantz cdp.

Actually, after I posted that I have to admit I was drawn to the Cardas cables from descriptions of being revealing whilst mainting quite a lot of 'air' which struck me as improved but not as plentiful as I would've hoped for in a £320 list price headphone.

So you guys think Zu? Zu or Cardas?

Oops - I just discovered the Moon Audio Silver cable...$250 for 10ft...
frown.gif

The Blue looks like awesome value for money
tongue.gif
at $175. Considering that most of the time I listen to MP3s because I don't have my CDs or WAVS on hand at uni perhaps a silver cable would be daft.

What about the cables from the DArth Beyer chap?

LOL - I'm crazy - I don't even have the headphones yet!!!!

p.s. anyone trust:
This sale?

I think you should get Alex's cable..

May 7, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #57 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the setup I'm going to use it with will be a X-fi coax out --> modded MD-10 DAC --> supermacro LE --> HD650.

Surely that's enough to make the HD650 sound good?

IMO you need a pretty big chunk of change for 650's to really shine..

May 7, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the OP said he didn't want to deal with balanced but if we're talking about the $900ish range, you may want to consider the HR Balanced Desktop. Yes Iknow you said you didn't want to deal with balanced yet, but it does have single ended inputs and uses combo jacks so you can drive 2 headphones at once. You may also want to consider the Headamp GS-1 which is another option.

Good point. Here's the URL for the HRD balanced:

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...lanced-amp.php

For a few hundred more (and still under 1K), he'd have an SE for now and balanced when he's ready for the upgrade. It works. I got the SE only and am now thinking of getting the balanced, too.

May 7, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #59 of 68
X2, WHOLE-HEARTEDLY!!! You'll be able to "drive" the Senns, in other words, you'll hear music, but to make them "shine" ... best suggestion would be to look into a "balanced" rig down the line. It's much easier to spend the dough on CANs that don't require as much maintenance, and or else... read the quote in my sig... It's very MUCH true!

May 7, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #60 of 68
Well I don't have enough cash to feed myself for a week given my amp and dac purchase so I'm going to have to like the setup that's coming whether I want to or not for a long while:
HD650 + some cable or other, would be nice to have a spare 3.5mm cable.
supermacro LE
modded MD-10

smily_headphones1.gif

I don't see what is so good about balanced? I went to the local boutique audio store (populated with x-can v3s and DAC1s and some other crazy £15000 gear) and in all fairness the guy does seem to know his stuff and he claims that balanced is only necessary for large house setups and cable lengths above 10metres.....I can tell you he certainly knows of head-fi!

And before anyone asks how I'm going to survive without food money for a week or so without starving, I have all the free May art week festival barbecues lined up for all the local colleges. free food and drink aplenty!

Who is Alex?

p.s. the stuff above amounts to £150 for the HD650
£230 for the DAC and £200 for the supermacro I think.
versus £900+shipping for the headroom MAX balanced unit....
So I'm saving £470+shipping which I can use to buy westone3s or eat for 115days or put towards a new laptop, new desktop, ten cheap flights within europe...

However, I'm sure I will buy a proper desktop listening station when I leave university and don't have to move my stuff around every 8 or 6weeks. Protability is key!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back