Solid state amp for HD650
Apr 30, 2007 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

chris_ah1

500+ Head-Fier
Heard about this 'synergy thing'
Now I have a supermacro LE on the way.

just a recap I currently have UM2s, SA5000s and HD595s with the intention of adding perhaps some grados/alessandros/darth/AKG701 (none permanently I might add just for testing) to my setup but only after I've tried the hallowed HD650s.....

Xin's amps apparently have synergy with etymotics - will it compliment what i have currently as well as the HD650 or was I a silly sausage?

Is 'synergy' genuine? Is it something to really worry about?
Or is the HD650 fine with xin as long as you recable (apparently the cables on the expensive HD650s aren't so good - apparently).

My personal views are that it's nothing I should be worried about as even if it does over-emphasise some HD650 features I'm sure i can compensate somewhere else. Just curious about your feelings/ideas about synergy.

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 68
I want to know what the best solid state amp for the 650 is too. under $1000 dollars that is and single ended not balanced. I'll do that later

May 1, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to know what the best solid state amp for the 650 is too. under $1000 dollars that is and single ended not balanced. I'll do that later

Too many choices. For me: Corda and Headroom are top choice. Headamp/Gilmore comes in a distant third. I don't like the RS house sound but I've only extensively listened to the HR-2. There are, however, a number of other amps for under $1KUSD on the used market that I haven't auditioned. After a few years of not having crossfeed, I now feel it is indispensible. However, there are so many choices if you don't need crossfeed. At some point it comes down to a matter of preference. Look around.

May 1, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 68
I have a headfive now and always use the crossfeed. Will it be good enough for the 650s? volumewise? will the bass sound thin and need more umph??

May 1, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 68
I would defiinetly go with Corda Opera as my first choice in SS amp.

May 1, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a headfive now and always use the crossfeed. Will it be good enough for the 650s? volumewise? will the bass sound thin and need more umph??

I think that the only way for you to know is to try out other amps. The Headfive is the lower end of the non-portable Corda stuff. Jan has even stated that the Arietta is more detailed.

I would imagine a beefier power supply would give you more bass but as a basic amp this is just fine. Look around the forums and read up on the Headfive vs. other Corda amps. At some point, upgrading your source would yield more improvement than upgrading your amp, depending on what you're using.

May 1, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #11 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you feel it beats out a dynahi or beta22?

The Opera? from my impressions at the meet no way

those were some of the better amps I tried the B22 was amazing the Dynahi was very close but I think I prefered the B22 as it seemed clearer the Dynahi seemed "foggy".

May 1, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #14 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the only way for you to know is to try out other amps. The Headfive is the lower end of the non-portable Corda stuff. Jan has even stated that the Arietta is more detailed.

I would imagine a beefier power supply would give you more bass but as a basic amp this is just fine. Look around the forums and read up on the Headfive vs. other Corda amps. At some point, upgrading your source would yield more improvement than upgrading your amp, depending on what you're using.

Hmm so as for now that I'm only using an ipod and a pcdp, A source upgrade would probably yield better results than upgrading my headfive. especially since I don't have the hd650 yet, I'm still using the 595.

May 1, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #15 of 68
Quote:

Never tried HD-650 but I love my HD-600 with GS-1. Great detail and balance.

x2 I recently bought a GS-1 and really like it with my HD650. I am wondering whether to compare it with HEED CANAMP, which is another good amp for HD650. My poor wallet does not allow me to do that.
If you are looking for a portable amp my Supermacro with LM4562 in LR channels and AD8599 with 34 channels, gives me wonderful SQ with great sound-stage and clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back