Solid state amp for HD650
May 1, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #16 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or is the HD650 fine with xin as long as you recable (apparently the cables on the expensive HD650s aren't so good - apparently).

For me, upgrading the cable was just as satisfying as finding a nice matching amp. this is coming from someone who was very skeptical about spending the money on the aftermarket cable until i heard it myself. i'm listening to the stock cable right now and can't wait until my new zu arrives.

May 1, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #18 of 68
Hi Chris,

Don't forget the PS Audio GCHA . . . having both the GCHA and Opera, for my tastes, the GCHA gels slightly better with the 650s.

That said, I believe the Opera to be the better amp overall, specifically with respect to options and ability to match well with a wider variety of cans.

Cheers,
Garry

PS - Go ahead and upgrade the cable - it will make a noticable difference.

May 1, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #19 of 68
Well I trialled the HD650 versus the HD595s. Got to say that I have definitely reached the land of general impression and the last 10% of gain rather than a real step up.

Sound was more forward in the 595s, more transparent almost translucent in the HD650s. More of an atmosphere thing that is hard to pick up on unless you just close your eyes and feel rather than actually listen.
Got to also say we're into teh last 10% of clarity and detail - I can't deny there was an improvement.....but you have to really force yourself to hear it.

The key about theHD650s for me however was that you just sit back, relax (they are the most comfortable cans I've tried) it's like you are wafting along in a bentley or rolls royce whereas the HD595s felt more like a mercedes AMG. Less refined, less mellow, more forward, definitely way more veiled. Bit like a raucous child in comparison to something more relaxed. Perhaps it was placebo - perhaps I was looking for what others said but what I was stunned at was not my ability to really easily pick out instances where HD650 was better - but just in the whole experience/package. Bass is pretty much the only place where the hD650s really outpace the 595s. In fact with my current cans quality bass is the area where I am really very lacking.

Have to admit the amplifier I was using (First time with a tube amp I think!!!) made them both sound beautiful.

The guy in the shop asked what setup I had and I said I was going to get a MD-10 as a Dac and he tried to push the Benchmark DAC1....Hmmm....perhaps that will 'synergise' with HD650
tongue.gif

As for the cables - guess I'll get equinoxes if I get the HD650 since everyone raves about them.
Home Amp+dac is for another day though.

source - marantz CDP --> X-canV3 amp btw.

In summary - got to say I'm really torn about buying the HD650s - yes they are lovely and amazing, but really you have to put yourself into the right state of mind and start microlistening to really hear the benefits. I guess I can trial them for longer out of the store and see if their 'environment' warrants the £160 for the upgrade.

HD680 might be coming soon though :S
Not as if I really need one either.

May 1, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #20 of 68
I've found that although the 650s are not as forward and have that laid back sound, they still posess a refined sound in the midrange and treble that the 595s could not match. If the 650s are new, they will continue to open up with time. Out of the box I did not like the 650s at all and felt they sounded muffled. It wasn't until the transducers loosened up a bit that the 650s reach their potential.

May 1, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #21 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the cables - guess I'll get equinoxes if I get the HD650 since everyone raves about them.

That would be Zu or Silver Dragon, not Equinox, that "everyone raves about".
icon10.gif

May 1, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #23 of 68
I should say that whilst the HD650s were new, I think they had been used before because there were nothing like my HD595s out of the box - in fact the shop allows you to demo the whole Senn range with kit like the benchmark DAC1, the X-Can V3 and some weird tube amps (Lagthos?) and a marantz cdp.

Actually, after I posted that I have to admit I was drawn to the Cardas cables from descriptions of being revealing whilst mainting quite a lot of 'air' which struck me as improved but not as plentiful as I would've hoped for in a £320 list price headphone.

So you guys think Zu? Zu or Cardas?

Oops - I just discovered the Moon Audio Silver cable...$250 for 10ft...
frown.gif

The Blue looks like awesome value for money
tongue.gif
at $175. Considering that most of the time I listen to MP3s because I don't have my CDs or WAVS on hand at uni perhaps a silver cable would be daft.

What about the cables from the DArth Beyer chap?

LOL - I'm crazy - I don't even have the headphones yet!!!!

p.s. anyone trust:
This sale?

May 1, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #24 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Graham Slee Solo + PSU1 is well worth a listen. A definate synergy with the 650's IMHO.

X2.
Graham Slee Solo and HD650 are an extremely well matched combination.
Meier Corda Prehead is very good too with my single ended (stock cable) HD650.

May 1, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #25 of 68
I favored the Zu over the Cardas as I felt the Cardas did not
have much impact over the stock cable. The Zu opened up the bass line and re energized the higher tones.

May 5, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #29 of 68
Flavour of the month.

Right, so I've ordered the modded MD-10. I have on order a supermacro LE and some opamps.

I've found a cheap HD-650 headset that will arrive once I have money (I don't have enough cash to eat for the next week and a bit becuase of the DAC and accomodation expenses!!!)

I'll get some simple OFC interconnects from the local hifi store as my cardas mini to mini is 4".

So - what cables do I get for the HD650?
Equinox limited edition?
Zu cables?
Qables?
The HD650 cable from the darth beyer company?
Moon audio Blue dragon? <-- seems to be best value for money.
moon audio silver dragon?
Cardas?

May 5, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #30 of 68
Just my .02 cents what's the point in recabling the HD650 (UNLESS it's to BALANCE THEM - XLR connector type thingie), when you can buy certain headphones STOCK that already have great sound?
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back