Solid state amp for HD650
May 5, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #31 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just my .02 cents what's the point in recabling the HD650 (UNLESS it's to BALANCE THEM - XLR connector type thingie), when you can buy certain headphones STOCK that already have great sound?
blink.gif

Care to name one? Don't tell me that this is DT990 from your signature.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #32 of 68
I would do an exhaustive search on cable opinions on this site. The Moonn Audio on is indeed a great value, esp given the exchange rate for GBP to US dollars. However, many people swear by Zu Mobius. Ultimately, it's minor differences to an already small change to the sound of the headphone.

Therefore, the only time you could these differnces is if you:

a. have really golden ears and
b. have way too much free time on your hands and
c. really listen to cans for all your listening

There was a time that I did that and would strain to listen to the differnces in cables (and there ARE differnces as noted by many people on this site), but I now have the luxury of enough income to buy a nice speaker setup.

Once that happens, the confining nature of headphones makes them nice, but definitely secondary to having a great speaker setup and the soundstage and imaging you get from US$1500 speakers. If you may find yourself in that category, spend as little as possible and try to buy a used cable. If not, get the best and enjoy for many years to come.

If you really want a change in sound, consider funding a source upgrade or a change in amplifiers or theuse of good crossfeed rather than squeezing out the last few drops of performance with an expensive headphone cable. I think that a better source or amp will ultimately make more of a change in sound than a cable. However, all things being equal and you just want to bring your cans to the next level, go for what you believe is your best bet.

A search will yield hundreds of posts by members-whose opinions I respect- on what cables they prefer with 650s and 600s.

Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flavour of the month.

Right, so I've ordered the modded MD-10. I have on order a supermacro LE and some opamps.

I've found a cheap HD-650 headset that will arrive once I have money (I don't have enough cash to eat for the next week and a bit becuase of the DAC and accomodation expenses!!!)

I'll get some simple OFC interconnects from the local hifi store as my cardas mini to mini is 4".

So - what cables do I get for the HD650?
Equinox limited edition?
Zu cables?
Qables?
The HD650 cable from the darth beyer company?
Moon audio Blue dragon? <-- seems to be best value for money.
moon audio silver dragon?
Cardas?

May 5, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #33 of 68
yeah, I dunno. I was just thinking trying out the whole 'experience'.

I do almost all my listening through headphones.
Yes I will have far too much free time once my exams are over.
Dunno about the golden ears bit though lol.
Only reason i was thinking about recabling was because I simply want to see what the fuss is about - I can't make a comment myself until I try and buying a cable that I could probably resell on here isn't so bad - especially when HD650s are selling for £150 to £170 now.
The HD650s do sound lush enough as it is.

May 5, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #34 of 68
Then go for somehting with silver like Mobius or Moon Audio. Although I know from personal expereince that they sound great, the Equinox cable is the only one of the bunch that, AFAIK, doesn't use custom molded connectors and somehow splices their wire onto stock connectors. I could be mistaken, but I believe the moldings are limited to the big three "other" maufacturers: Cardas, Zu, and Moon Audio.

I say look into Mobius and Moon Audio silver posts and go with one of them. There is no cable that will take away the bass of 650s, it's just nmot possible. So the only thing you could do is to accentaute the highs and detail a bit better.

May 5, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #35 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

plainface.gif
funny...real funny.. I auditioned the zu HD650 and it was
redface.gif
ok.

May 5, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

biggrin.gif

plainface.gif
redface.gif
ok. Makes more sense to put the money into balancing them...
tongue.gif
Or buy Denons!
wink.gif

May 5, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #37 of 68
I must agree... go with either the Zu, or SD, or perhaps the Headphile v2 Black Silver. I have the Cardas, the Zu, and the Black Silver... and I think I prefer the Black Silver with the HD650 - although the Zu is close.

The Black Silver and the SD are silver cables and they brighten the HD650, add a bit of detail and air, and seem to tighten the bass a bit. The Zu is a copper cable with silver coating - it seems to brighten them too, and perhaps ad detail, but it has a bit warmer, weighter sound somewhat like the Cardas.

The Headphile is the bargain of the group at around $140.

But... the cables alone are not going to "do it" for you. The right set up is far more critical, and "deveiling" them. Although... I've had success with brightening them up with the Aphex Aural Exciter (sound processor).

And... you can always just go with the HD600's (much brighter / airier), or the RS-1's, or better still the AD2000's - and forget trying to make the HD650's something that only a lot of money in a set up will bring them close to being. These phones have very similar SQ's, but all seem to be much brighter, clearer and more detailed, while still having great bass and mids.

May 5, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #38 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
plainface.gif
redface.gif
ok. Makes more sense to put the money into balancing them...
tongue.gif
Or buy Denons!
wink.gif

Balancing phones alone not gonna cut it as it also requires balanced amp and the good one is not cheap.
Denon? Personally I preferred Zu recabled HD650 to Denon, although the difference between two is not that great. And we probably should stop hijacking this thread.

May 5, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #39 of 68
Quote:

Balancing phones alone not gonna cut it as it also requires balanced amp and the good one is not cheap.
Denon? Personally I preferred Zu recabled HD650 to Denon, although the difference between two is not that great. And we probably should stop hijacking this thread.

LOL! Check out my sig, the 650s whether zu'ed up or balance require a good rig anyway, so recabling is not the only variable in the equation, good source\amp is also necessary... thread hijack over..
tongue.gif

May 5, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Graham Slee Solo + PSU1 is well worth a listen. A definate synergy with the 650's IMHO.

x3.

The GS Solo in fact works damn well with all the phones I've tried, including the K340. I especially love the HD-650 + Oehlbach cable combo on this rig (more than the Headphile Silver FYI).

Cheers!

May 6, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #42 of 68
Before my GS-1, I used Xin Supermacro IV with MD10 and very good sound-stage and clarity. GS-1 compared to SMIV has more energy, clarity, dynamics and details. Bass and treble transient qualities are very impressive. Very black background!

But SMIV has some musicality to sound, which is hard to describe with latest opamp combinations. The SMIV that I have haven't got latest updates. It has little laid back sound in mid registers. I do not know whether it is still the case with newly updated SMIVs too. GS-1 for that matter provides gain with wire type sound with powerful dynamics and clarity.

May 7, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #44 of 68
I had the Lehmann/650 combo and ended up getting rid of it. In general, it just wasn't anything special - it reminded me, to a great extent, of the better Creek headphone amps, which go for much less money.

Also, Lehmann is between distributors, last I knew, in the U.S., which makes them hard to come by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back