SOL Republic Tracks HD or Monster Inspiration or Beats Studio HD?
Oct 15, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #48 of 58
Quote:
Hi there,

I'm a pretty noob head-fier and just started getting into the world of audio and just wondering out of these 3 headphones, which ones should I get?:

- Monster Inspiration (also considered the Purities)
- SOL Republic Tracks HD
- Beats Studio HD

I know i've read everywhere that these headphones might be a full of crap/ overpriced headphones and that there are better ones such as Shures or Klipsch etc. but i really just want good looking headphones, with nice and clear lows, mids and high with a punchy bass, but not too overpowering. Since I'm quite limited by choice as well in NZ, these are the ones that I'm interested in. Any advice?

Here are my two cents worth after using the Monster Inspiration for about a month.. I initially wanted the v moda m100s but i dont regret getting the monsters. I wanted a really fun sounding pair of cans and  this is really awesome for modern genres of music ( rnb, hip-hop,pop,rock,dub step, i dont listen to jazetc..) PLUS i think it looks fantabulous !!! I can post picts of them if you want :))

[size=small]Source. Sansa Clip Plus[/size]
[size=small]Amp. Fiio e11[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Base of comparison. SENNHEISER HD 25-1-II (Adidas)[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Sound Signature (NOISE CANCELLING OFF with amp).[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Great bass and good treble with a better sound stage than the hd 25 and good separation of instruments. The mids are not as bad as the other beats models like the solos and hds and even the pros but not as forward as the hd 25s. Overall this is geared towards modern music... Pop, rnb hip-hop, drum and bass, rock, dubstep. etc...[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Since i have the very balanced hd 25s i wanted something that was fun sounding with good base emphasis and this do not disappoint. With an amp the headphones vibrate and its like a sub woofer next to your ear all without sounding too muddy or drowning out the mids too much. The highs are very well defined. Even though you don't need an amp to drive these cans, i belief its really awesome with an amp. In fact most cans are really much better with a good amp for those who are serious about their music.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Noise Cancelling on.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Noise cancelling is mediocre at best. Compared with Bose. But it does work and it does cancel out some ambient noise. The over-ear ear cups also provides good passive isolation so overall in total its quite effective at blocking out ambient noise just don't expect all sound to disappear though. The noise cancelling feature also acts as a bass and volume booster. But the best thing with these cans are that you have the choice to switch it on and off and still use them without batteries unlike the bose and the studios.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Sound Leakage and sound isolation.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]As mentioned before sound isolation is above average. With noise cancellation switched on its slightly better then the hd 25s which are known for effective passive noise cancellation. Sound leakage is another matter though as its worse than the hd 25s. It does leak some sound so taking it to the library and blasting the music is not such a good idea.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Comfort & Built.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]This depends on the size of your ears. Mine just fits. The ear pad cushions are really soft and feels great. Clamping force of these headphones depending on the size of your head can be fairly tight to moderately tight.But nowhere as bad as the mixrs and much more comfortable than the solos and hds. Although my ears do not rest on the speaker grill the outer ear does come in contact with the cushions and can be uncomfortable after a couple of hours.  You have to get the right fit with these things. I wish they were a little bigger. Another thing though are these cans seem well built to me but you do feel its weight on your head. They aren't the lightest pair.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Conclusion.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]I bought mine "used like new" from Amazon warehouse for about 250 and for that price its worth it.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Pros.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Sound signature[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Base[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Good Looking[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Great accessories[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Changeable Headbands[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Foldable to a compact size[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Cons.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Heavy[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Might be uncomfortable for those with big heads and big ear lobes.[/size][size=small]Its comfy if you can find the right fit or have small ear lobes..[/size]

[size=small]Hope it helps[/size]

[size=small]Cheers[/size]

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #49 of 58
Anyone have any idea how these compare to something like the Sennheiser Momentum? I've been researching for a while and was pretty set on the Momentum's but I'm a bit interested in these. I think I may end up with the Momentum's either way but I was just curious to know what you guys thought...or for those of you that have heard them both your insight would be greatly appreciated. I am by no means a bass head so if these things are similar to the beats then I think i'll pass on these.

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #51 of 58
I tried B&W P7 last night and I don't care how they good they sound, I wouldn't buy them because they are uncomfortable, tight clamping force, cups too small for ears and the pleather is not very soft like some other brands. Did not like, and at $400.00 CAD they are overpriced too and you are paying for brand name.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #52 of 58
  I tried B&W P7 last night and I don't care how they good they sound, I wouldn't buy them because they are uncomfortable, tight clamping force, cups too small for ears and the pleather is not very soft like some other brands. Did not like, and at $400.00 CAD they are overpriced too and you are paying for brand name.

You must have large ears if you think P7 cups are small lol!!!  I have P7, M-100, M50, and had MOMENTUM.  P7 is on par with all of them except for Momentum which has smaller earcups.  P7 uses a real lambskin or some kind of an exotic leather, not some cheap pleather.  The problem is that it doesn't have a memory foam and takes a while to break in (the same with a clamping force).  I do agree, you might get a wrong comfort impression with P7 because they need to be broken in, but they look very classy and have more "fun" bass and less recessed mids in comparison to M-100.  They don't fold as compact as M-100, but better than MOMENTUM which can't fold at all and has a bulky carrying case.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #53 of 58
I admit I do have big ears but for similarly designed cups I found the Monster Inspirations were far more comfortable (surprised they sound half decent too). Tried Senn Monentum and even though the cups are way too small they were still more comfortable than P7 because the foam is very soft. For just comfort though I find beyerdydamic DT990 and Senn HD558/598 are hard to beat. P7 has tight clamping force so it is not just the cup shape/size that I don't like. Sony MA900 supposedly are even more comfortable but can't find those locally to try out. Can't enjoy any headphone if it is uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #54 of 58
Don't know about monsters but beats are fragile cost a lot but look nice and I own a pair of sol republic tracks hd they sound good look nice and are really solid I like them

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #55 of 58
  I admit I do have big ears but for similarly designed cups I found the Monster Inspirations were far more comfortable (surprised they sound half decent too). Tried Senn Monentum and even though the cups are way too small they were still more comfortable than P7 because the foam is very soft. For just comfort though I find beyerdydamic DT990 and Senn HD558/598 are hard to beat. P7 has tight clamping force so it is not just the cup shape/size that I don't like. Sony MA900 supposedly are even more comfortable but can't find those locally to try out. Can't enjoy any headphone if it is uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

The Inspiration have even smaller pads than the P7...  I think it's the memory foam that's the differentiating factor here.  

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #56 of 58
anybody know if there are more comfortable ear pads for the track hds. Got the hds for 40 dollars which i though was a steal. I am only able to where them for about a hour after that my ears just hurt to much to continue.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #57 of 58
Hi,

Another kiwi here:D

Had the Tracks HD and returned them after burn in.

They sounded muddy, with a rather good bass but a very murky treble, and congested mid range. As I'm not a bass head, I was extremely disappointed with these, even though I got them at 170 nzd off their RRP.

Haven't heard the Beats or Monsters, but from word of mouth there are better cans around that price range. If your interested in these cans, I'd definitely skip the Tracks Hd's and do some extensive research on the others.

There's some great reviews here on these cans, so make sure you do the research before diving in.

Cheers,

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #58 of 58
Update:

Forgot to mention the comfort of the Tracks HD. Another reason the were returned.

As on ears go, they were extremely uncomfortable. The clamp was average, but the cushions were really uncomfy

Couldn't wear them for more than an hour until I got really sore ears.

The only thing going for these cans is the durability and looks.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back