Softears - Discussion & Appreciation
Jul 29, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #1,156 of 1,593
The OG Turii is still one of the best single-dynamic IEMs I've ever heard. I wonder how close to the OG does this new "Twilight" get.

IMG_9586.jpg

Aug 4, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #1,158 of 1,593
Big thanks to @Uncle Wilson from Jaben Singapore for the loan set. I believe there is still a pair of demo in the store.

14E9D309-7D68-4D3F-B3E2-0F3D7335818B.jpeg
9A16CCCD-C22B-48CD-B6DC-92511813152C.jpeg
60F1BCFC-C699-4DC3-BD4D-68723786C101.jpeg

Aug 4, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #1,159 of 1,593
Initial impressions of the Twilight: for those of who expected it to be a OG Turii in a different format, I don’t think it is on all fours. My initial impressions are that it is placed somewhere between the OG Turii and the Turii Ti in terms of tonality. The Twilight does not have as much bass as the OG Turii. Nor does it have such a huge soundstage as the Ti. But when it is called upon, the bass does have a nice boom to it, along the same lines as that of the Turii Ti. At this stage, it seems to me that the Twilight seems to be more focused on detailed, nuanced mids and trebles.

What is clear is current owners of the OG Turii or Turii Ti need not worry about them being displaced. Unless the fit and comfort was an issue. The tuning of the Twilight at this early stage seems to be complementary to the previous single DD offerings from SoftEars. :) If you enjoy the tuning of Softears for single DDs, you will likely enjoy this as well.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #1,160 of 1,593
Thanks @Kiats for the initial impression and also thanks @Uncle Wilson from Singapore Jaben for a loan set. Very similar to Kiat’s impression, I found Twilight positioned in between Turii OG and Turii Ti. Also because Twilight is lighter than Turii OG, it is comfortable to wear. Im enjoying it so far :)
54D9EC20-6A72-46E7-9144-DF0BF7D70C5E.jpeg

1BEE979B-ECDB-4FCE-B9E4-78A3CBC078B5.jpeg

D03CC944-B23E-4CD2-9E6A-1A5CF7705BDF.jpeg

70C9BE6C-CDE2-4B24-8164-89E13B2619CA.jpeg

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #1,161 of 1,593
As it's not differences in sound signature that make up for the difference in prices between the three. What does in your opinion guys?

When I got the Turii, coming from only sub$500 DDs, I was struck by the sense of control, precision and accuracy I was getting from it. And it's still the only one I call The Metronome today despite having bought a bunch of $500-1000 ones in the meantime. Are there significant differences between the three Softears DDs on that kind of metrics, do you think?

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #1,162 of 1,593
As it's not differences in sound signature that make up for the difference in prices between the three. What does in your opinion guys?

When I got the Turii, coming from only sub$500 DDs, I was struck by the sense of control, precision and accuracy I was getting from it. And it's still the only one I call The Metronome today despite having bought a bunch of $500-1000 ones in the meantime. Are there significant differences between the three Softears DDs on that kind of metrics, do you think?
There are differences between them in terms of sound signature. The Twilight is much more focused on nuanced mids. Good treble extension. Plus a nice bass kick when called for. Hence, a good complement, in my view to the Turii and the Turii Ti. :) In terms of sense of control, precision and accuracy, all are excellent. But the differences are really in the tonality and focus. :)

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #1,163 of 1,593

OG Turii's gestalt, even against $2000+ iems, is impressive. It's my wanna be near field playback reference. Erlkonig/Phonix mids and treble with Solaris's bass profile. Very fast DD with a large soundstage for a single DD. Isolation could be better but also part of its air and charm. I don't know if I'd change anything, honestly.
OK, the stock cable has to go to clean up the treble and the fit is not for everyone, but otherwise, (chefs kiss)

I don't hear the OG as having all that much bass. It is the most reserved monitor I have bass wise. And I am by no means a bass head and can't stand huge overwhelming bass that slants the signature. RSV and RS10 have more bass presence, for example. Turii has a slight mid-bass bump but rolls it off and is still all about the mids primarily. At least how I hear it.
I'd love to hear Twilight and the Ti some day to compare.

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #1,164 of 1,593
OG Turii's gestalt, even against $2000+ iems, is impressive. It's my wanna be near field playback reference. Erlkonig/Phonix mids and treble with Solaris's bass profile. Very fast DD with a large soundstage for a single DD. Isolation could be better but also part of its air and charm. I don't know if I'd change anything, honestly.
OK, the stock cable has to go to clean up the treble and the fit is not for everyone, but otherwise, (chefs kiss)

I don't hear the OG as having all that much bass. It is the most reserved monitor I have bass wise. And I am by no means a bass head and can't stand huge overwhelming bass that slants the signature. RSV and RS10 have more bass presence, for example. Turii has a slight mid-bass bump but rolls it off and is still all about the mids primarily. At least how I hear it.
I'd love to hear Twilight and the Ti some day to compare.
Now that SoftEars is carried by MusicTeck in the US, you will get the opportunity to try the Twilight. It is still opening up. As I was listening to it last night before bed, the mids were certainly opening up and is getting more layered. :)

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #1,165 of 1,593
I don't hear the OG as having all that much bass. ...

I also did'nt heard Twilight or Ti yet while they are even more restraint then the OG :thinking: maybe Softears intention with their whole single DD line is the opposite way then all (almost ?) others "heh we implement a dynamic driver for the bass, and since the people want bass we also tune them equivalent" and Softears trying to use the positive aspects of DD bass but tune them on a similar level like balanced armature bass.

Do you have all 3 models at home ? let me ask the more subjective question if the UC tips that coming with Ti and Twilight changing the sound signature on the OG in any way ?

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,166 of 1,593
I've had Twilight for a few days now, and I gotta say it's simply fantastic. I'm not typically into relaxed/ warmer mids, but it's so well done here that I find myself sinking hours into it, completely forgetting I was testing it. This won't be an in-depth impression. I still need more time to compare and will do a video on my channel about it at a later date. For now, here are a brief "first impression-ish" thoughts...

The tuning is more relaxed, with elevated lower mids to add warmth. Though it can muddy up things when overdone, the Twilight never gets that far. It's warm, vocals are hefty, but retain the naturalness very well. It's right on the edge of being too rich but not quite.

The upper midrange has decent energy, vocals do pop nicely without coming across shouty or too in your face. It's still smooth, relaxed, and inoffensive while being just attention-grabbing enough to draw your focus.

Treble, in my opinion, is tamed, not very forward but not dark either. For my personal preference, I'd like more treble. I feel some instruments and female vocals sound a bit too heavy. Lacking a bit of sparkle. I like the airiness in vocals and crispiness of strings, but in the Twilight, you get a bit less of that, and more of a safe treble experience. Having said that, I will say it's a smooth and well-done treble. Just need more.

Details & Staging
The stage is wide, not wider than some endgames I've tried, but it competes well with most kilobuck IEMs. The detail is impressive, for a single DD this has layering and depth that puts some multi-drivers to shame. I would put the Twilight Detail in a similar league to Sennheiser IE600, Thieaudio Monarch OG, Moondrop Variations. It's ultimately short of the RS10, but not by too much.

Bass
Forgot to touch on this in the beginning, This is rather bass shy for me, the bass is dynamic, rumbly, and very satisfying in every track. I just want a slightly bit more. Maybe more subbass and a touch of midbass. I want to experience the DD bass in full glory. This feels just slightly too little. Though, a simple EQ should fix the issue.

I can't compare the Turii or Turii Ti to the Twilight as I've not tried those models. I do have other sets I want to compare to, but that'll have to wait until the full video in a few days. Here's a short list of IEMs I'm planning on comparing in that video: U12T, Monarch MK2, Elysian Diva.

In summary, this is a love. It's a surprising love since it's not my usual signature, but the surprise is well welcomed. Another win from Softears.

Attachments

• 297334925_1061683891404049_8076643579492629572_n.jpg
    297334925_1061683891404049_8076643579492629572_n.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 0
Aug 6, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #1,167 of 1,593
You can try some cable rolling for better treble. 👍 I love silver/silver palladium on Turii. Deeper bass extension and more treble clarity.

Aug 6, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #1,168 of 1,593
You can try some cable rolling for better treble. 👍 I love silver/silver palladium on Turii. Deeper bass extension and more treble clarity.
It's the Satin Audio Athena you're using with the Turii?

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #1,169 of 1,593
Aug 6, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #1,170 of 1,593
More listening to the Twilight on a lazy Sunday morning. This time with the Sony 1ZM2. Listening to my normal repertoire of vocal and acoustic music. It is continuing to open up as it burns in. The mids are the highlight of the Twilight, I dare say. The timbre is first class, the depth of the soundstage and the layering is excellent. Very emotive showcasing the nuances of vocals. At the same time, the sound is very smooth while maintaining great separation. Good sense of space. No smearing here. It definitely grows on you. :)

F0BE63FD-DE8E-487E-9F21-4D61DAF7E864.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back