Softears - Discussion & Appreciation
Apr 19, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #1,096 of 1,593
To clarify again, Softears posted that pictures 1st april 2022... so another april fools joke of them, or indeed a new project.

What are they even playing with?

Thanks for clarifying. I thought you said the Ti was originally a joke, and then here is this wireless thing too. Lol.

Apr 20, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #1,097 of 1,593
What are they even playing with?

Thanks for clarifying. I thought you said the Ti was originally a joke, and then here is this wireless thing too. Lol.
Hehe! Well, I had the Turii Ti demo unit with me for a week courtesy of @Uncle Wilson . And it’s back with Jaben Singapore. I recall I had posted photos.

Anyway, I should be receiving mine around end of the month. :)

Apr 21, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #1,099 of 1,593
Apr 21, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #1,101 of 1,593
I'm a bit afraid of that extra energy in upper mids. Though tempted to buy them.
It's kinda a red herring, because I match my measurements at 1kHz and the bass also reads higher than the B2 - so when you volume match them in listening, it sounds like the lower mids are a bit more sucked out instead. If you are okay with Blessing, the Volume has slightly more prominent vocals but is actually a tad less intense around the upper-mids/lower-treble area.

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #1,102 of 1,593
Thanks for the share! TLDR: Big fan of the Volume, if you don't mind a more reserved bass, I do think it's a more convincing package overall than the famous Blessing 2 at a lower price to boot.
Ryan, you perceive Volume's bass quantity more reserved than Blessing2's? Interesting, because Volume's bass for me is much more upfront and rumbly. In comparison, Blessing2's quantity is more neutral and has quicker transient presentation. For me, Volume's extra bass quantity makes up for its extra pinna gain too and it comes off easier-warmer sounding than Blessing2 in upper-midrange as well as overall. Maybe Volume's deeper and snugger fit helps me in that regard. However, I do like Blessing2's more neutral and cleaner presentation a lot, don't know if more or less than Volume's more coloured presentation. Hmm... jury is still out on that since they complement each other so well and I enjoy both of them, differently but I guess more or less equally. 🤔

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #1,103 of 1,593
Ryan, you perceive Volume's bass quantity more reserved than Blessing2's? Interesting, because Volume's bass for me is much more upfront and rumbly. In comparison, Blessing2's quantity is more neutral and has quicker transient presentation. For me, Volume's extra bass quantity makes up for its extra pinna gain too and it comes off easier-warmer sounding than Blessing2 in upper-midrange as well as overall. Maybe Volume's deeper and snugger fit helps me in that regard. However, I do like Blessing2's more neutral and cleaner presentation a lot, don't know if more or less than Volume's more coloured presentation. Hmm... jury is still out on that since they complement each other so well and I enjoy both of them, differently but I guess more or less equally. 🤔
Hey man, fan of your reviews and don't mean to contradict you, I think we are actually both in agreeance here as you can see in my comment above:

"I match my measurements at 1kHz and the bass also reads higher than the B2 - so when you volume match them in listening, it sounds like the lower mids are a bit more sucked out instead. If you are okay with Blessing, the Volume has slightly more prominent vocals but is actually a tad less intense around the upper-mids/lower-treble area."

Here are the graphs matched at 3kHz instead - I saw the graphs in your reviews but it does depends how you smooth them and what frequency you're sensitive to when volume matching by ear:

Soft Ears Volume.png

I agree the bass is better extended with more rumble on the Volume in my review, but the mid and upper bass are more laid-back and this is confirmed by volume-matched measurements. This contributes to less perceived warmth on the Volume which is further exacerbated by its less present lower-midrange. It is, however, a smoother sound that often has a similar overall effect but the distinction is important to note for particular readers with different sensitivities and preferences.

Something interesting to note is the impedance curve of both earphones. Higher impedance sources will apply a sub 1kHz bass boost to the Volume, by comparison, the Blessing 2 becomes brighter and leaner. I think this makes the Volume more desirable since you can easily tune up its deficits with source pairings/impedance adaptors while you don't see many calling the B2 too dark. Hope this clears up my thoughts on the matter, to reiterate, I enjoyed your review and see nothing wrong with your opinion.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #1,104 of 1,593
Hey man, fan of your reviews and don't mean to contradict you, I think we are actually both in agreeance here as you can see in my comment above:

"I match my measurements at 1kHz and the bass also reads higher than the B2 - so when you volume match them in listening, it sounds like the lower mids are a bit more sucked out instead. If you are okay with Blessing, the Volume has slightly more prominent vocals but is actually a tad less intense around the upper-mids/lower-treble area."

Here are the graphs matched at 3kHz instead - I saw the graphs in your reviews but it does depends how you smooth them and what frequency you're sensitive to when volume matching by ear:

I agree the bass is better extended with more rumble on the Volume in my review, but the mid and upper bass are more laid-back and this is confirmed by volume-matched measurements. This contributes to less perceived warmth on the Volume which is further exacerbated by its less present lower-midrange. It is, however, a smoother sound that often has a similar overall effect but the distinction is important to note for particular readers with different sensitivities and preferences.

Something interesting to note is the impedance curve of both earphones. Higher impedance sources will apply a sub 1kHz bass boost to the Volume, by comparison, the Blessing 2 becomes brighter and leaner. I think this makes the Volume more desirable since you can easily tune up its deficits with source pairings/impedance adaptors while you don't see many calling the B2 too dark. Hope this clears up my thoughts on the matter, to reiterate, I enjoyed your review and see nothing wrong with your opinion.

Oh contradiction is never a concern at all bud! :sweat_smile: It's always interesting to read other's impressions and preferences. I was just surprised that you felt that Volume's bass is more reserved than Blessing2's (unless you meant the other way around) because Volume has a bigger bass shelf and comes off a much bassier set to me than Blessing2. My experience is based on what I hear but the graphs do support it - 8-9dB bass shelf of Volume vs 4-5dB bass shelf of Blessing2. That's a difference of 4-5dBs, which is not minor at all! All my DAPs have extremely low output impedance, so I perceive a 9dB bass shelf in Volume, not more.

In case of graphs, I hardly ever apply smoothing to graphs unless absolutely required. That is why you see my graph lines wavy in the sub-bass in the graphs below. Even if I have to, I mostly use the lowest setting - 1/48, which does the bare minimum. I generally match at 1kHz or 500Hz (unless required for a specific reason to demonstrate a fair comparison between IEMs tuned worlds apart). Plus, I generally always align the alignment frequency to 60dB to keep stuff even more consistent.

I know you already know this but I thought I'll write this for people who don't measure and should know - Comparison graphs can be made to look very different if you align them at the wrong places and can sometimes be difficult to read if you don't align them at all. IMO, since these 2 have a similar tuning philosophy (VDSF target which is Harman Target inspired), it is much easier to compare their graphs than IEMs that are tuned worlds apart. Since the common elements between Volume and Blessing2 are a flat lower-midrange and pinna gain rise at the same frequency, 1kHz, it is better to align them at 1kHz or 500Hz for a proper comparison, which you see most graph guys generally doing anyway. Also, since they have a similar bass shelf, which is boosted at the same frequency and have a similar Q-factor, just different gain levels (4-5dB vs 8-9dB), a comparison between them is even easier. You could even align them around 400Hz, 300Hz, 200Hz or 100Hz (bass shelf's boost frequency) and the graph comparison would look more or less the same since those frequencies graph similarly between both IEMs. All shown below....

Again, I perceive more mid-bass (62Hz-125Hz) in Volume than Blessing2 and that's again by what I hear, not by looking at a graph. But the graph comparisons do confirm it too.

Softears Volume vs Blessing2 matched at 1kHz.jpgSoftears Volume vs Blessing2 matched at 500Hz.jpgSoftears Volume vs Blessing2 matched at 200Hz.jpgSoftears Volume vs Blessing2 matched at 100Hz.jpg

Now for example, if one really wanted to make it look like Blessing2's treble is much brighter or that it has more mid-bass and upper-bass, I'd align them to something like 40Hz, but that would be wrong since Volume has the bigger bass shelf and the bass shelf gain level isn't the same between them.

Softears Volume vs Blessing2 matched at 40Hz.jpg

At the end, what matters is how you hear them and I perceive Volume being bassier, with a bigger bass shelf, where both its sub-bass rumble and mid-bass punch are more than Blessing2's. So well, if anyone hears Volume's bass being more reserved (less in quantity) than Blessing2's, then I guess I should say - YMDV = Your Mileage Definitely Varies. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #1,105 of 1,593
Apr 21, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #1,106 of 1,593
@Animagus @ryanjsoo Keep in mind that the Volume is quite source sensitive, FR changes on OI differences with amps and cables.
Hey! Yes, I know. Tested it with several DAPs and cables for the same reason and mentioned it in my review too as a thing to look out for. I primarily used DX240's 3.5mm output (which has an OI of 0.38Ω) and my favourite UP-OCC cables (all measure below 0.2Ω) for testing and all comparisons. Both are very good low specs. Tried it with DX160, R6 2020 as well as PAW6k.

Read @ryanjsoo's review and he too mentioned it and posted the impedance curve he measured too.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #1,107 of 1,593
I don't feel I have any more information to add to the narrative that hasn't already been said. But to reinforce my stance, I was not referring directly to @Animagus with a lot of my comments, just clearing up my thoughts so I apologise if that came across as me being difficult. But yes, I can totally see some finding the Volume bassier than the B2; no matter how long I've been writing, I must admit when something I've said is poorly worded or plain incorrect. So I'll specify by saying that the Volume is cooler and thinner sounding to me but not necessarily more reserved in the bass as a whole than the B2.

Apr 22, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #1,108 of 1,593
I don't feel I have any more information to add to the narrative that hasn't already been said. But to reinforce my stance, I was not referring directly to @Animagus with a lot of my comments, just clearing up my thoughts so I apologise if that came across as me being difficult. But yes, I can totally see some finding the Volume bassier than the B2; no matter how long I've been writing, I must admit when something I've said is poorly worded or plain incorrect. So I'll specify by saying that the Volume is cooler and thinner sounding to me but not necessarily more reserved in the bass as a whole than the B2.
Oh no no, I bet no one found you difficult @ryanjsoo ! But I think I've come across something - If you're sure your measurement of your Blessing2 unit below was taken properly, then your Blessing2 has WAY less treble post 5kHz than normal and the bass shelf slope looks a bit different too, which could be an indicator of you perceiving Blessing2 warmer and bassier. Looks like your measurement has significant smoothing but still, that's a noticeable difference.

Moondrop Blessing2 Ryan.png

Have a look at my, Crin, Precog and Super's Blessing2 measurements. Even though looks like we've all measured it at slightly different insertion depths, ours have consistently more treble with a slightly more linear bass shelf slope than yours. Don't know if something is faulty but I guess this could be the reason. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Try measuring Blessing2 with your IEC711 coupler and REW sometime to see if it graphs any different. Try not inserting it too deep and setting the y-axis scale similar to graphs below after for easy comparison.

Moondrop Blessing2.jpg

Moondrop Blessing2 Crin.png

Moondrop Blessing2 Precog.pngMoondrop Blessing2 Super.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back