Softears - Discussion & Appreciation
Nov 25, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #871 of 1,606
Cerberus:

Holy GOD, this iem is not normal. You must have a desktop amplifier or something with near a WATT of power to run them properly. Say I use my LG Quad Dac... at about %90 volume Cerberus just crumbles into distortion. Not like oh thats not that good, no its unusable.

Jebers.

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #872 of 1,606
Cerberus:

Holy GOD, this iem is not normal. You must have a desktop amplifier or something with near a WATT of power to run them properly. Say I use my LG Quad Dac... at about %90 volume Cerberus just crumbles into distortion. Not like oh thats not that good, no its unusable.

Jebers.
Sure it's not defective? I don't think I picked this up from other reviews. Sure, the EST's would need some power, but...

drftr

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #874 of 1,606
Cerberus:

Jebers.
That's weird. 🤔 I don't hear any distortion plugged into my OnePlus 7 Pro or any of my DAPs. Nor does it sound much different plugged into the DROP THX AAA 789 Amp. There is something wrong if you're hearing distortion.

Sure it's not defective? I don't think I picked this up from other reviews. Sure, the EST's would need some power, but...

drftr
These Sonion EST drivers have their own miniature transformer which amplifies the signal a '100 times' (as per Sonion), so they don't really need external amplifier amplification to work.

EST driver in Cerberus is tuned a bit on the warm side, unlike TRI's Starshine and Starlight, which are MUCH north of neutral brighter.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #875 of 1,606
sm0rf -- How are you liking the Turii so far??

Yeah the Turii was brandnew and now one week later burn-in and & brain-in as well accomplished :sweat_smile:

I really like him - unique sounding with an exellent tonality (Prophile 8 comes in mind) same goes for soundstage and resolving details in the music excellent too. I would award the Turii a inner beauty , did'nt had to shine with clothings or make-up áka xyz drivers etc. like other IEM's - he is just fine as at is. Prolly not suitable for everyone imho you need to get used to his sounding a bit and it tends to be more into a sterile neutral direction.

While the housing (attention joke: could thinking a improved adapted version of Audeze iSINE10/20 in tiny format :dt880smile: ) is somehow strange and different, the fit ain't it and it's comfy too (obviously only the ear tips entering the ear) - a chin slider would even improve the comfort but is missing on the cable. The cable itself is rather short and the 3.5mm plug not the best choice. If you wanna use the Turii with an audio player (like smartphone) that is hidding in a protective case so that the headphone jack is recessed you might in trouble and need an adapter.

Might be really interesting how the Turii sounds with the additional Softears Turboo cable in sterling silver (please no cable discussion now) but none idea where to buy one and also running out of budget for now.

Nov 29, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #876 of 1,606
Today I received the cable for my new RSV: Effect Audio Grandioso Black Version.
This is the most expensive cable, and maybe the best, I've ever had.
At the moment the configuration is:
RSV + Grandioso 4.4mm + Final Type E + Hiby R5s.
I've listened a few hours to some metal albums (Trivium, Metallica, Slipknot, Tool, Haken, All Them Witches, King Buffalo, Opeth, Caligula's Horse) at level 30 in low gain mode.
These IEMs are great, the first thing I love compared toy previous IEMs is the absence of driver flex that made me sell the EJ07 and 3DT. Isolation is top notch. The bass is surprisingly good and with a bit of organic feel that makes me remind a dd bass. I'm very surprised from the bass quality.
Soundstage is a bit narrow but details and tonality are good. Also the speed is very good.
They are not very forgiving with bad quality tracks. The difference between Spotify, offline Flac files and Tidal Master is clearly audible, more than most of my previous IEMs.
I've ordered Azla Sedba Xelastex tips and I'll let you know a comparison.
This year the best IEMs I've had are the Shuoer EJ07 and these RSV.
EJ07 without driver flex are the very best however.

20211129_154057.jpg
20211129_152655.jpg
20211129_154042.jpg

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #877 of 1,606
Big shout out to @HuoYuanJia for his DIY custom foam advice and tutorial and also his review of both of these which piqued my interest as a monitor for mixing my songs. 🙏🏻

I picked up a set of RSV and RS10 from a couple members here and couldn’t get the stock tips to seal. I’m usually a large tip but for some reason even with that size both IEM’s sounded very thin and worried me if this was what “reference” neutral was haha. (I’m sending the ER4SR back as it’s just too bad light for me.)

Cut some cheap Hearo earplugs in half, poked a small with a mini screwdriver, and now these both models sound great! Bass solid and full. I tried the tapered end first but had to go with the wide end to get a good seal.

Gonna try this on all my IEM’s going forward.

Regarding sensitivity of RS10:
I was expecting the RS10 to be harder to drive from mobile and low power sources but it only seemed marginally quieter than the RSV on my 2020 MacBook Pro and both models sound great.

Attachments

• AA0C23DE-0CF0-4464-BE00-094F6E55B15E.jpeg
    AA0C23DE-0CF0-4464-BE00-094F6E55B15E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #879 of 1,606
Dec 1, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #882 of 1,606
Thats the understatement of the century!
😂 I’m prone to understatement

We all know you're jealous as F and are thinking about how to speed up the patent procedure...🤑 Your bass lovin' life will never be the same.

drftr
Honestly after putting them on the bass increase was so substantial I started to wonder if it was too much 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back