Softears - Discussion & Appreciation
Feb 26, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #1,052 of 1,593
Hey Hey.
Been testing the hell out of Volume. Noticed the graph(s) on the last few pages with different tips. I thought about it a lot. WHY is the mid peak changing so damn much with just tips. So then I studied the included tips, the fit. Maybe someone can do this and check their impressions:

This is basically extending the bore tube by 5-6mm. Thats the only thing I can figure out is doing something... but man, does it do something! You don't need to deep fit at all, just shallow fit the tips and give a shot. I think it's possible Softears intended the crystal tips to actually extend the bore tube (a lot) in a more comfy custom fashion?!! If so its genius, but people should know the intension.

edit, measured, 6mm extension

It is simple - insertion depth and snugness of fit (what I mentioned before). It's like the U12t vs A12t scene or how a lot of people perceived Moondrop S8 as neutral to warm and others perceived it as bright.

In case of U12t vs A12t, a lot of people prefer the sound signature of U12t (shallow-ish fit universal) over A12t (deep fitting CIEM) because of its relatively brighter and airier signature. But U12t only sounds brighter & airier if you have a shallow-ish fit. If you push 'em deeper in your ears by using ear tips which allow a deeper fit, it sounds more like A12t and the post 2.5kHz frequency response becomes darker (see Crin's graph below). It depends on the kind of UIEM & CIEM fit a brand goes for, but a lot of times, the CIEM will be slightly bassier/warmer/darker than the universal because of a deeper and snugger fit. Even when manufacturers try to match the UIEM and CIEM's signature, perception of same will again depend on the person's ear anatomy.

I've personally tried, tested, experienced and had discussions on insertion depth and fit with many brands/manufacturers. That's why I generally try to check what ear tips the manufacturer used to tune their IEMs and the kind of fit they intended, before I start testing for my reviews. I first try their suggestions to see how they intended their product to sound and then go crazy with 3rd party ear tips to find what I like most.

Even in case of graph measurements, it's tricky to get the insertion depth right in the coupler to mirror the signature one is perceiving as per his fit in case of a lot of IEMs. You've already seen my measurements of Volume with different tips that have different insertion depth and fit.

Here is Crin's measurement of U12t vs A12t -

U12t vs A12t.png

Here is Crin's measurement of Moondrop S8 vs my measurement of S8 with deeper insertion. See how the treble changes with a deeper fit in the coupler. I perceive S8 similarly with a shallower and deeper fit with my ears too. My concha and canal are fairly big and I can achieve both shallow and deeper fit by going a size up and down with the stock ear tips. With Medium stock tips, S8 fits like a deep fitting CIEM in my ears.

Moondrop S8 (Crin).pngMoondrop S8.jpg

I'm relatively free tomorrow and will try Volume with multiple ear tips and report my perception of the upper-end FR changing with different tips and fit, including 3rd party tips like Azla Sedna, Spiral Dots, BGVP A07 and Moondrop's Spring tips too.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #1,054 of 1,593
@redrol @Animagus Have you tried using the final Type E tips? I found the pairing with Volume to match quite well :) It has a lengthy nozzle, and the narrower bore width/diameter which may help attenuate the upper-mids and treble. I'm using mine with it since the beginning, and compared to the stock Softears silicone tips, the sound I hear is bolder better-defined (less bright/lean) on the final Type E

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #1,059 of 1,593
After so many months of silence on the Turii Ti, I received an exciting ping from @Uncle Wilson from Jaben SG. He has a surprise for me. Presto! The demo unit has arrived! Woohoo! Pardon the SpinFit CP500s. I had them lying around. The stock ear tips say Liquid Silicon.

The cable that comes with the Turii Ti is this: http://www.liquid-links.com/?page_id=35987

Now for some listening. :)

45F52F1D-3BA6-4706-B668-0FB4FD576255.jpeg

FE8BF77B-55D1-44BC-9AAB-C533689F44DA.jpeg

Mar 24, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #1,060 of 1,593
Woah.. Shiny 🥳 Congrats, I know @blotmouse a fan of Turii. Curious to hear your impression. Wish I could try one too someday
I'd be sorely tempted if Softears offer a custom version of the Volume

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #1,061 of 1,593
Woah.. Shiny 🥳 Congrats, I know @blotmouse a fan of Turii. Curious to hear your impression. Wish I could try one too someday
I'd be sorely tempted if Softears offer a custom version of the Volume
Thanks @ranfan. This is the store demo unit. I will have to return to @Uncle Wilson and JabenSG come Monday. I had listened to the original Turii when SoftEars first landed at JabenSG last year. Then the expectation was the Ti LE would be out by September.

Compared to the original Turii, at first impression, the Turii Ti seems a bit brighter/transparent because of the improved trebles extension because of the titanium shell (and the Liquid Links Evua cable). Do bear in mind that the original demo Turii I had heard was also with a stock single ended 3.5mm plug whereas this cable is gold/silver and silver. And it comes with 4.4mm balanced plug. But still sounds nice and organic which is what I had enjoyed about it. :)

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #1,062 of 1,593
This is exiting news, thanks.
Brighter doesn't sound like a welcome change in tuning for me, but if it's grain free extension, maybe it could be better than the original?
As long as the bass doesn't get reduced in any manner. The mid to bass taper is what I love about the OG. And the mids, can't forget those. Love 'em.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #1,063 of 1,593
Some listening on the Shanling M9 to end the day.

0FEA4B0A-805C-4FB2-9DD3-F74B40F50C4E.jpeg

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #1,064 of 1,593
This is exiting news, thanks.
Brighter doesn't sound like a welcome change in tuning for me, but if it's grain free extension, maybe it could be better than the original?
As long as the bass doesn't get reduced in any manner. The mid to bass taper is what I love about the OG. And the mids, can't forget those. Love 'em.

Not so much brighter but with better treble extension. And less congested mids to my ears. It's just a few hours in but, no, the bass does not seem to be reduced. The Turii Ti is as textured and nuanced as ever. Have switched to AZLA SednaEarfit Xelastec. Listening out of the Luxury & Precision P6Pro Obsidian this morning. Bliss. :)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #1,065 of 1,593
It has been a long week. But now I get to settle down to some Sony magic with the Turii Ti. I must say that I do admire the work that goes into the tuning of single DD IEMs, and this iteration of the Turii is excellent. One thing which I have not addressed thus far is that the IEM is very well balanced physically as well because it is titanium it is much lighter and I am not conscious of it at all. UnlIke with the original Turii. :)

4714ADD7-02B6-4EB9-AF93-BBDA4192FA71.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back