So who would you put on the halftime show? Destroyed my memory of a legend.
Feb 9, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #16 of 68
It could have been The Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus, just remember that. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was somebody like Kings of Leon or Muse.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #17 of 68
As an old marching band geek, I say enough with the stars.

I'm calling for a return to the spectacle of a large, coordinated show with hundreds of performers. I much prefer the coordination and effort that requires to a tired rock act.

For full disclosure, I peformed in the Superbowl XXI halftime show as a freshman in high school. It was developed and coordinated by Disney, who is exceptionally good at these sorts of things. I was dressed as a cowboy and did a dance routine with a wooden sawhorse. It was a great time and I loved all the other shows like that until they started booking acts instead of putting on a show.

Yeah, that might be kinda square and dated, but the visual spectacle is better than a wheezy rocker or a planned "wardrobe malfunction" by prancing lip syncers.

Bring back the enormous marching bands and precision formations!

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #21 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As an old marching band geek, I say enough with the stars.

I'm calling for a return to the spectacle of a large, coordinated show with hundreds of performers. I much prefer the coordination and effort that requires to a tired rock act.

For full disclosure, I peformed in the Superbowl XXI halftime show as a freshman in high school. It was developed and coordinated by Disney, who is exceptionally good at these sorts of things. I was dressed as a cowboy and did a dance routine with a wooden sawhorse. It was a great time and I loved all the other shows like that until they started booking acts instead of putting on a show.

Yeah, that might be kinda square and dated, but the visual spectacle is better than a wheezy rocker or a planned "wardrobe malfunction" by prancing lip syncers.

Bring back the enormous marching bands and precision formations!

I agree with Erik here. They have such a large stage to work with and all they did was fill it with a light show. How boring. If they must use "Stars" at least do something with the other 80 yards of field besides a boring light show. Personally a big Marching band would be pretty impressive. Get a group of All-Star high school marching band member together for a show.

For the record I too was a marching band geek in HS.

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #23 of 68
How about David Copperfield making the Super Bowl disappear and reappear in Hawaii?

While the Who was pretty bad, I think the worse was when Townsend tried to sing harmony. If he would have stayed quite, it wouldn't have been so bad.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #24 of 68
If RHCP performed I might have actually watched the halftime show
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #25 of 68
The Who was one of my favorite bands growing up. But this is 40 years later..
confused_face(1).gif
Perhaps on the "Who Are You" or "Who By Numbers" tour it would be more fitting but I find it somewhat embarrasing and I'm sure most kids just cringe when all the older adults go on and gush about these has-been bands.

Some good suggestions but they will never play out. It will always be somebody mainstream, popular or a nostalgia act. That's just the way it goes in an event like the Superbowl. I'm guessing it will be The Rolling Stones or Aerosmith next year. Nothing against Carrie Underwood either but does she need to perform in every single Superbowl?

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #27 of 68
I didn't think Daltry was that bad. His voice has held up pretty well. Townsend on the other hand did not sound as good as he used to and even when he did, his voice wasn't half as good as Daltry's. The production was total crap as Townsend's guitar was as loud and sometimes louder than Daltry's voice.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #30 of 68
It appeared to me the Who we doing a milli vannili - lip sinc all the way. It was disappointing to me as at one time they were a premier band who didn't need any help. It may have appeared to those in the crowd that Pete was doing his whirly bird signature strum but to me it looked like he was missing it by quite a bit.

They should have been singing - "old man wasteland, we're only old man wasteland - it's time wasted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back