So who would you put on the halftime show? Destroyed my memory of a legend.
Feb 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #46 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by cck5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but an english homosexual singing and playing piano gently doesnt scream american football

My suggestion did have a certain tongue in cheek quality, but still Elton John would rock. I'll stand by that. I live in the reddest of red states, and even people here are okay with EJ.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #47 of 68
I agree with OP. It's amazing what 12 or 13 years does to one's vocals.
I saw The 'oo back in 1997 - on the Quadrophenia 25th anniversary tour.
And they were absolutely ace!
Roger and Pete both sang well, Entwistle was still with us, and a young Zack Starkey (of Ringo lineage) was on the drums. Along with Simon Townshend playing a little guitar...
So I was really looking forward to the halftime show myself...
and was only really impressed by the circular lights.
frown.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #48 of 68
Quote:

It appeared to me the Who we doing a milli vannili - lip sinc all the way.

That was too terrible to be lip-syncing. I've been a Who fan since 1967, and that performance made me cringe.

How about Kid Rock? I've never seen him live, but from the live videos I've seen, he looks like he could rock the joint. Either that or Arthur Godfrey and his uke. It would be different.

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #50 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coupla things: I love marching bands, too, but my guess is that the reason that doesn't fly is that it seems more like a high school/college thing, whereas the NFL is for the pros, hence the desire for comparable music stars.

That, of course, is the reality. It would be nice, though, if just once a decision could be made on some basis other than squeezing the last penny and the last rating point out of the proceedings (Yeah, right.) Hell, I would love to see MLB stadiums chuck the pop music and go back to just an organist. When I want classic rock or hip hop, I can turn on my radio. I don't need to hear the same stuff when I'm watching the Yankees.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've actually seen the Roots back up Jay-Z once here in NYC (back when they were on the label he was running). Of course, he has his own great touring band, so that matchup wouldn't be necessary for the Super Bowl.

I would be all for the roots. I think I spied them during the Haiti telethon, unselfishly displaying their usual superb musicianship. And they have a freakin' TUBA! That would be one way to get some brass happening at half-time!

Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My suggestion did have a certain tongue in cheek quality, but still Elton John would rock. I'll stand by that. I live in the reddest of red states, and even people here are okay with EJ.

Sure he would rock! I don't think you can reasonably describe "Saturday's Night's Alright," "Love Lies Bleeding," or his cover of "Lucy in the Sky" as anyone singing and playing the piano gently.

I agree with you about the breadth of his appeal; people seem to react to his music and leave aside whatever they don't like about him. I think his orientation would be a far smaller problem than the edgy politics associated with certain acts.

Oh, and by the way, what about Phish?

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #51 of 68
well i would want Lil Wayne seeing as he is my favorite artist. now i know ur thinking that i am just some 17 year old kid that likes mainstream music, well i am lol. but im gonna give an unbias opinion, well kinda. if there is one more person over 65 years old again on the stage for the halftime show, i will never watch another one again. its so ridiculous that theyre so scared of another janet jackson incident, that they result in putting musicians on that stage that need a wheelchair. i was thinking something like Black Eyed Peas but, football is for the blue collar average man, so thats outta the question because they would be too ashamed to enjoy that. elton john, but he is homosexual and yet again, the average man would be embarrassed to like it, and dont get me started with justin timberlake lol. maybe a little mix of artists, instead of one band or person. something like Jay Z/zz top/alicia keys, or beyonce and Jay Z. i would make suggestion with lil wayne, but first off, he will probly be in jail at the time of the next SB and i dont really see him mixing well with other genre artists, even tho he has a "rock" album now, i still dont see it. or something for everyones taste. maybe some celine dion with Jay Z with nickel back, or green day with carrie underwood with radiohead, maybe theres wouldnt be enough room on the stage tho.... lol. just something different with more than one artist, cuz if someone didnt like "the who" they didnt really watch it. if celine dion was just up there, i wouldnt watch it, but if she was up there with jay z, i would give it a shot. well since they aim towards the older average man, some ACDC or metallica. idk, sry if i didnt give out very good artists, dont know much about older artists lol, seeing that im only 17

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #52 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a football game. There should be a marching band. And they should be playing in mud, and snow. And the helmets should be made of leather.

I hate the Super Bowl, and the NFL in general.

how do you hate the nfl???? whats your reason for hating the best football players in the world?

nickelback is sad exuse for rock music.

ZZ top would be awesome, green day would be cool also.

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #53 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by cck5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZZ top would be awesome...

I'm sitting here loading up a PC playlist on the fly. One of the first tunes I queued up was ZZ Top's "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide."

Now THAT would sound great ricocheting off the walls of any stadium, especially on Super Bowl Sunday. They sound big enough to match the event, even if they are that "little" ol' band from Texas.

And, by the way, "ricocheting" is extremely hard to spell. Kept guessing till I got rid of that red underline. For some reason, I'm pretty sure my spelling is gonna continue to decline tonight. At the rate I'm going, I doubt I'll be able to spell my own name by morning. And I think my punctuation is deteriorating as well.

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #55 of 68
It would be an awesome treat to see a Gilmour / Waters reunion.

Oh well, dreams can sometimes come true.
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #57 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be an awesome treat to see a Gilmore / Waters reunion.

Oh well, dreams can sometimes come true.
wink.gif

Though I would love it, they're too old.

Kid Rock would be good as well but may not suit the broadest of audiences. He could lead with "Somebody's Gotta Feel This" to a collage of the season's best hits.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though I would love it, they're too old.

I disagree. I saw Roger Waters last year and I had a wonderful time. He still rocks! Not sure about David Gilmour but he sounded great on a single released August 2009.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #59 of 68
I also disagree that Gilmour and Waters are 'too old' ... they're both still touring and doing amazing shows. But I don't see Pink Floyd as a halftime show, and besides they'll never do it.

I nominate Cheap Trick.

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #60 of 68
AC/DC would have been great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back