So who would you put on the halftime show? Destroyed my memory of a legend.
Feb 9, 2010 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

Happy Camper

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm dated (53) but I looked with shame at two old men who have been a legend in my memory. That memory got tarnished. I realize we can't live frozen in time. I don't want to see my memories destroyed by time. Today is for the young.

Who would you put on for next year's game?

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 68
Couldn't they just have a wet T-shirt contest with all the cheerleaders in the league? In 3-D? I wouldn't even need music.

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by crapback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn't they just have a wet T-shirt contest with all the cheerleaders in the league? In 3-D? I wouldn't even need music.

hahaha i would totally watch that one and kick the kids out.
tongue.gif
L3000.gif

I think radiohead or muse would be great.
o2smile.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by crapback /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds like somebody just got a bigscreen . .

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 68
Geesh Camper, it wasn't that bad.

I vote for Elton John. He has an extensive catalog, plus - at least over the last few decades - a certain schmaltz factor that would mate well with the festivities. He would knock that sucker our of the park with Philadelphia Freedom as the closing segment.

Should Elton be unavailable, Neil Diamond would be the next choice.

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 68
I'll admit they were pretty bad, but don't let it tarnish your memory........for one, every band has a bad live show sometimes, even when they're young and fresh, they just were unlucky that it was on TV. Secondly and I mean this so sincerely....without Keith and John it was not The Who, so your memory of The Who is safe and sound. We can't expect a 65 year old man, known for belting, to sound as he did when he was 27......it would be like watching a football player at 30 years after his prime.

As for a good half time performance...... Radiohead sounds like a surewin. I think, since they're getting into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Genesis should reconnect and tour, all five members.....and maybe play the Bowl, though they're probably not big enough, at least their prog material worth watching is not big enough

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 68
I guess if I had to choose a band, I wouldn't mind Talking Heads playing "Burning Down the House". Something about fire and burning stuff just brings people together.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 68
It is unfortunate that The Who is being used for the CSI series. Perhaps the only big show that would work is the music that plays on oldies radio stations. So next might be the Police, at least it would be another band that grew up without playing football. :) I don't think there are too many bands that have marketability. If we keep complaining about the SB getting bands like The Who. We will get focking Taylor Swift, or even Myly Curyus. Radiohead would be too limited in audience, as would many bands.

My list, not necessarily bands I like.

The Police,
Santana
The Eagles
Dream Theater (might be able to pull it off)

Maybe they could pick a band from the area, like Miami would be Sheena E.

B
My .02$
atsmile.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 68
Radiohead are a terrible idea.* They're way too avante-garde and trippy for the Super Bowl. You need something rocking and with broad appeal to the football demographic. It's not a venue for displaying your membership in the art rock cogniscienti. The older acts' music has cross-generational appeal, regardless of how the performers themselves have aged. That explains their current advantage as safe picks.

They're probably trying to stay away from the big female pop acts like Lady Gaga, Pink, etc. because of the heavily male audience and the Super Bowl's place as a male ritual. For the same reason, popular bands like Panic at the Disco and Fallout Boy are out because they look like a pack of queers. Metal acts are too much, and I'd just as soon they didn't even think about rappers.

So what younger bands have good name recognition and a solid hard rock sound? I'd go with Nickelback.

How's that sound, Camper?

*Full Disclosure: I can't stand Radiohead, but if you wanted to open an art gallery, wine festival, or even a modern music conservatory with them, that'd make sense. But not the Superbowl.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #14 of 68
ACDC would put up a fantastic show. The Who are a good band, but sorry your lead vocals aren't good anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back