So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Apr 1, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #1,592 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that cable doesn't darken the sound?. In other words it make the treble senneiser 650 type (well not such extreme
confused.gif
)
eek.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
, but it kill the liveliness to the treble (my thoughts...)...
confused.gif
?

There is so much treble with the 780's I am not sure what could kill it. No, to me they don't sound dark or veiled just better.

Apr 1, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #1,593 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really understand why you think Skylab will answer any more of your questions after the whole insult incident...

Everybody knows to not kick the ant-pile but you?

Apr 1, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #1,594 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that cable doesn't darken the sound?. In other words it make the treble senneiser 650 type (well not such extreme
confused.gif
)
eek.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
, but it kill the liveliness to the treble (my thoughts...)...
confused.gif
?

On a Senheiser HD600, if you compare the HD650 cable to the HD600 cable, the HD650 cable has plenty of treble. Just not too much (but not as much layering of details as other aftermarket cables).

Apr 1, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #1,595 of 2,328
I once kicked a ant hill, red ants, boy was that a mistake. I once went under a tree covered in little red ants, tiny things, but could they sting as they swarmed all over me. I also had an aunt who was fierce but I guess that is another type of aunt although I did try to kick her.

Apr 1, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #1,596 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 780 with the Sennheiser 650 recable sound pretty good. The sound improved in all areas. I still would like a larger stoundstage but as a closed phone they are very respectable now. I also like the feel of the Sennheiser cable. I don't think the gauge is any greater but the double ground return and higher quality makes a difference.

How did you go about doing this recable? Does the Senn cable's Y-splitter get in the way, or did you get rid of it entirely?

Some pics of the finished product would be great, if possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #1,597 of 2,328
I cut the cable below the Y and kept the ends for some future project if I want to upgrade my cable for the Senns.

I used heat shrink where the cable goes through the original hole so I got a very tight fit and it works great. I kept the one cable system. I also cut off the 1/8 plug that came with the 780's and stripped it down to the soldering points and cut off the nice 1/4 plug of the Senns because I wanted to be able to use the 1/8. Also the plug that come with the 780's is nonmagnetic and pretty good. I also like the way the soldering points are on the Ultrasone plug. I then used heat shrink around the 1/8 plug and can use the 1/4 screw on plug if I want to.

Someone needs to snap the pictures for me as I am not very good with a camera.

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #1,599 of 2,328
Just got the HFI-780s today! Of course, I can't start burning them in without doing a little listening. I am listening to Radiohead - In Rainbows right now with setup Stello DA100 > Singlepower Extreme and they sound really nice. I haven't really noticed much treble harness/siblance yet.... perhaps with another recording. Maybe the tubes tone it down a little. The presentation is very forward, it doesn't seem like a headphone you could fall asleep listening to, that is for sure. There is a lot of bass which makes me happy. We'll see what happens in the next month or so.

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #1,600 of 2,328
Hmm, I am starting to hear some "static" on certain quiet parts of the recording, something I have not heard before. That is interesting... I hope it is just the cans going through some sort of transition.

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #1,601 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's might be... I personally not impressed enough by them to consider recabling. I think the better phones are better investment then cable (but I don't really know...). Unfortunately, there are not many choices for "portable".

Which other headphones do you consider a better investment? What are you looking for in a headphone?

I have a lot of headphones and ended up liking the alo mod 780's the most for the time being, I suppose eventually I will find something I like better. But they are my favorite now. It does take time to burn in and a amp with synergy as well as re-cable to make them truly good can's.

I think they make you work for the good sound and some people resent that hahahaha but it is a hobby and we all approach it in our own way with our own way of perceiving things. I did hear the potential in these right away and some people just resent when they don't hear what they want and do not want to bother with it anymore...that is what makes this such a interesting hobby as it has much more twists and turns than you might expect
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #1,602 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everybody knows to not kick the ant-pile but you?

tongue.gif
. Woops! I'm a resentful person, what can I say.

I have about 300 hours on my fully recabled 780. Sound is great still. I think it is starting to smooth out soon as I haven't really heard any changes for a couple decade of hours. These are my favorite closed headphone at this price point. They trounce the boring (D2000) for me.

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #1,604 of 2,328
For now, it seem as the better option. There are some sites with a little bit cheaper prices, but aren't as well known sites and you have to pay the shipping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Than /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, good service with buy.com? Was that with the free shipping? I didn't look at the options.

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #1,605 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Than /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, good service with buy.com? Was that with the free shipping? I didn't look at the options.

Buy.com is great as long as you don't ever plan on contacting their customer support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back