So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Mar 24, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #1,471 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The biggest differences (so far) are:

1. Midrange is smoother, and less forward, while still quite palpable
2. Treble "zing" has been reduced somewhat (but not fully, yet)
3. Soundstage is improved - there is finally some depth, whereas stock there was almost none

I will have more to say after the 100 hour mark...

How about pictures!
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #1,472 of 2,328
Mar 24, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #1,474 of 2,328
I changed my 780's over to the same cable used for the HD650's. One thing I like about the cable is that it is grounded at the plug end rather with a wire for each ground so that four wires are used in the cable rather than three like the original cable that grounds inside the ear cup for both transducers, which gives more backwave on the ground, which effects the sound.

I already like the sound better. The bass is more tuneful with even better impact but good focus.

Mar 24, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #1,475 of 2,328
That sound good, but how much the midrange is less forward?, and because of that, the soundstage depth is bigger. That is excellent too. I will ask you about that, later (because it may get better).
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The biggest differences (so far) are:

1. Midrange is smoother, and less forward, while still quite palpable
2. Treble "zing" has been reduced somewhat (but not fully, yet)
3. Soundstage is improved - there is finally some depth, whereas stock there was almost none

I will have more to say after the 100 hour mark...

Mar 24, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #1,476 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only changes I have made on mine is to add some acoustical material to the ear cups behind the drivers and to remove the diode board. The sound is getting better but these things need many, many hours of burn in, maybe hundreds.

After hundreds of hours the sound is finally out of my head and starting to gain some distance from me, thank the audio god. I am starting to enjoy these more and more.

How do you open the cups? What changes did you hear when you added the dampening material? What did you use? I'm wondering if some dampening material might reduce a lower mid-bass peak that is bothering me with my 780s.

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #1,477 of 2,328
I used a cotton type packing used in vitamin or pill containers. It tamed some of the highs and gave the mids a slightly warmer smoother sound.

When you take off the ear pads you will notice that there are three holes in the paper covering. Use a small phillips screw driver and unscrew the phillips head screws they used. There is no need to get them out of the hole and that way you won't lose any.

The Sennheiser cable is much better than the stock cable and only costs 12 dollars from Sennheiser. I like the flexibility of the cable and the general feel. With some well placed heatshrink I got a very tight fit into the original hole and the cable does not move. It also looks good. I am using the 1/4 plug. I may change it over to the one that came with the headphones by stripping the original plug down to the metal and then use some heat shrink. I like having the 1/8 plug with all the portables I have.

This cable change really improved the bass quality. Best 12 dollars I ever spent.

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #1,478 of 2,328
Those stock cables must be real junk because this Sennheiser at only 12 dollars is sooo much better and I only have a couple of hours on the cable. Again, having a better grounding scheme helps a lot. The peaky treble is gone and the mids are more natural and integrated.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #1,480 of 2,328
I just stripped the 1/8 plug and actually it is pretty nice and nonmagnetic (the one on the 780's) and replaced the Sennheiser 1/4 plug. So I can use the screw on 1/4 now if I need it. I am getting better width and depth with the Sennheiser cable. More time will be needed, as usual, for final determination of this termination. :^)

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #1,481 of 2,328
Can you put photos of this mod later, to see how to solder the cable to the drivers??
Oh, ...so "much" good alternatives and cheaper, very good...
Thanks

Quote:

Those stock cables must be real junk because this Sennheiser at only 12 dollars is sooo much better and I only have a couple of hours on the cable. Again, having a better grounding scheme helps a lot. The peaky treble is gone and the mids are more natural and integrated.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #1,482 of 2,328
Quote:

The Sennheiser cable is much better than the stock cable and only costs 12 dollars from Sennheiser. I like the flexibility of the cable and the general feel. With some well placed heatshrink I got a very tight fit into the original hole and the cable does not move. It also looks good. I am using the 1/4 plug. I may change it over to the one that came with the headphones by stripping the original plug down to the metal and then use some heat shrink. I like having the 1/8 plug with all the portables I have.

This cable change really improved the bass quality. Best 12 dollars I ever spent.

This is good news, I was hoping there was an inexpensive way to get a decent cable.

Can you explain the concept of heatshrinking? Thanks.

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #1,483 of 2,328
Heat shrink is a material that is used for insulation as it is a dielectric. It comes in many different sizes. You apply very hot air or as I do, the barrel of the soldering iron and it shrinks around whatever you have placed it around, within constraints. Say a 1/2 inch ID piece might shrink to 1/4 ID. It comes in different colors and is sold at better electrical supply houses. You can also get overcharged for buying small pieces through some sources.

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #1,484 of 2,328
I still find the Proline 750's more listenable and natural. For some types of music the 780's are ok or fun but as an all around phone, well I think Ultrasone could have done much better. I called Ultrasone US and was told they were modeled after the Ed 9, yea right. How hard is it with all of their knowledge and experience to design a headphone that doesn't have to be messed with, massaged and coerced into sounding ok with some music? The cable I removed was about as cheap as you can get and the rest of the construction, well I think for the 250 dollars, and yes I have said this before, we deserve more.

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #1,485 of 2,328
Are you still Waiting for Ultrasone Ed. 9?
Quote:

I still find the Proline 750's more listenable and natural. For some types of music the 780's are ok or fun but as an all around phone, well I think Ultrasone could have done much better. I called Ultrasone US and was told they were modeled after the Ed 9, yea right. How hard is it with all of their knowledge and experience to design a headphone that doesn't have to be messed with, massaged and coerced into sounding ok with some music? The cable I removed was about as cheap as you can get and the rest of the construction, well I think for the 250 dollars, and yes I have said this before, we deserve more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back