So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Mar 14, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #1,171 of 2,328
I just got my 780's in the mail. So far (20 minutes) they do sound pretty darn good. Definitely better than my Shure E3C's. Time to start burning these things in!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #1,172 of 2,328
Unless I've missed it after finally reading all 118 pages of this thread, why hasn't anybody suggested to Skylab to remove that diode board and then re-evaluate the phones performance.

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #1,173 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless I've missed it after finally reading all 118 pages of this thread, why hasn't anybody suggested to Skylab to remove that diode board and then re-evaluate the phones performance.

It's not like he doesn't read the forums. And, I think he likes to leave things stock - he didn't want to review an iBasso D1 with rolled opamps. Etc...

Mar 14, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #1,175 of 2,328
Well this morning, if you can call getting up at 3:30 a morning, the 780's are sounding very good. I have both the 750's and 780's plugged into different amps with all four things burnin in. I thought I was listening to the 750's. Not as big a soundscape but warmer than the 780's had been and smoother. I didn't think about it too much and then looked down and there were my 750's! So the 780s are changing again, for the better. Pretty smooth and integrated, right now anyway. No overdone bass and the highs are very tame but good. We shall see. Off to work.

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #1,177 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not like he doesn't read the forums. And, I think he likes to leave things stock - he didn't want to review an iBasso D1 with rolled opamps. Etc...

Larry is right in that I don't like to do things to products, in general, that would reduce their resale value. So while I love to tube-roll, I don't like to modify products, as this usually will reduce resale value. "Brand-name" recables can enhance resale value (ALO, APureSound, Headphile, etc.), but other recable jobs can actually reduce resale value! Certainly something like removing the diode board will.

Also, from what I have read here, removing the diode board doesn't have that much impact on the sound. Do others believe that it really does?

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #1,178 of 2,328
780.jpg

780exit.jpg

Just some teaser pics from Scott. They have shipped out today. I will be receiving them soon. All this for such an affordable price. I asked for the nylon sleeving for extra, but you can get this Mogami recable for very cheap. Whether it will improve the sound is up to you, but the build quality looks so much better and is much better. Scott also removed the diode board for free. I'll post impressions when I receive them.

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #1,180 of 2,328
Now THAT is a nice looking recable! Bravo! Please report the sound when you get them!

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #1,183 of 2,328
With ~80 hours of burn-in, these cans are absolutely awesome!

I threw Metallica and Rhapsody at it, and it passed with flying colors.

Really, I couldn't be more pleased with them at this point. They are pretty harsh on bad recordings, but when you have a high bitrate, wow, the sound moves you. =)

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #1,184 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just some teaser pics from Scott. They have shipped out today. I will be receiving them soon. All this for such an affordable price. I asked for the nylon sleeving for extra, but you can get this Mogami recable for very cheap. Whether it will improve the sound is up to you, but the build quality looks so much better and is much better. Scott also removed the diode board for free. I'll post impressions when I receive them.

That looks clean and neat ! Waiting to hear your impressions.

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #1,185 of 2,328
I was under the impression that a decent cable is too thick to pass through the headband for doing a single entry re-cable. I'd like to know more - my Proline 2500 are calling for a pretty cable...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back