So what's the "correct" way to turn on tube amps with headphones?
Jan 6, 2010 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

K_19

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've had the WA6 for about a month now, and read some stuff lately about the start up and warm up procedures, and had some questions that I didn't really see a clear answer on:

1) What's the proper way to turn on a tube amp with headphones? I ask this because I've read some stuff about it being harmful to the tube amp to turn it on without headphones in? Is this true? So far, I've turned on the WA6 without any headphones inserted (when I turn it on with headphones in, it gives the loud startup tube hum then goes away after about 5 seconds; I wasn't sure if this is harmful for headphones or not, so just to be on th safe side I unplugged it from there on), but plugged it in about 20 seconds later when the tube startup is done. So should I turn it on with headphones in or out (or does it even matter)? Just in case you may be concerned, yes, I always make sure the volume is down to zero when I turn it on or off.

2) I know the length for tube warmup for amp varies, but what I was wondering was; is it actually harmful for the amp/tube if I crank up the music right away without warming it? I realize the sound won't be optimal in the beginning but just wondering if this is actually a harmful practice to not warm it.

3) If I'm understanding correctly, the headphone should be plugged in at all times when warming up the amp, or else it's harmful. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 45
Power up source equipment; power up HP amp with phones already plugged in; give the tubes a couple of minutes to come up to a stable operating temperature and listen. It's not like launching the space shuttle.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 45
I asked this question a few years ago. Different answers. I used to plug my headphones then crank up the amp. I just did not like the "pinging" of the tubes while my phones were plugged in. For about a year, I have been turning the amp on (volume on "0") and after five minutes plug my phones in. No probs with any of my amps...

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 45
Seems like the obvious answer would be... turn the amp on with the headphones plugged in, volume at zero.

This is how all instrument amps are run. Trust me folks, Ima doctor.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #8 of 45
I always turn on my amp (not only tube) and let it warm for half an hour or hour with out headphones pluged in...after an hour I plug the headphones and putting on some music and let it warm up for another two hours with music playing while listening. this is trhe first time I hear that turning on the amp without headphones plugged in can damage it...or let it warm up without headphones plugged in.
to tell the truth,it sounds a little rediculous to me..but I am not arguing.
if it is true than I hope I didn't damage my earmax pro somehow.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #9 of 45
I turn on my rig, Woo 3++ and my Arcam 73T for about 10-15 minutes to warm up with headphones plugged in. Then I listen to music not seriously for about 30 minutes or so. Tubes need time to focus. Vocals and instruments will sound a little smeared until the tubes completely warm up.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some tube amps can not be turned on for even a second without a load or they fry. Just as some amps fry headphones with DC before output stabilizes. Like Uncle Erik recommended - check with the manufacturer to be safe.

The odd thing is, I haven't seen much mention of the proper way to power the amp (or DAC) on and off mentioned on the websites itself. I presume it's mentioned in the manual, if there is one supplied with the amp.

I have to admit, I haven't studied every single amp and DAC thus far and that makes my comment a bit useless. The only time I've seen something mentioned regarding what an amp does when you hit the power button/switch on the amp's website itself is with the Violectric amps. There it mentions the amps have relay controlled outputs which switch on with a slight delay after actually powering on the amp and disconnect the outputs before actually switching off the amp.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 45
Another questions I had but forgot to put in the original post was whether or not it is safe/unsafe to flick the impedence switch for transformer-coupled amps WHILE it is on, or even playing. I've been switching it while it's been off just to be on the safe side thus far.

Anyways, cool, seems like I'm gonna have to send Jack a email concerning how WA6 should be operated at startup. I'll post Jack's response here when I get it. Thanks all.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another questions I had but forgot to put in the original post was whether or not it is safe/unsafe to flick the impedence switch for transformer-coupled amps WHILE it is on, or even playing. I've been switching it while it's been off just to be on the safe side thus far.

Anyways, cool, seems like I'm gonna have to send Jack a email concerning how WA6 should be operated at startup. I'll post Jack's response here when I get it. Thanks all.

Please do. I'm now curious.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(when I turn it on with headphones in, it gives the loud startup tube hum then goes away after about 5 seconds; I wasn't sure if this is harmful for headphones or not, so just to be on th safe side I unplugged it from there on)

its the transformer vibrating under the extremely large turn on currents required by the tube, and is fairly normal.

Quote:

2) I know the length for tube warmup for amp varies, but what I was wondering was; is it actually harmful for the amp/tube if I crank up the music right away without warming it? I realize the sound won't be optimal in the beginning but just wondering if this is actually a harmful practice to not warm it.

Dont even turn the knob down on the 6. you have to try to hurt it.

heck yea! turn the amp on voume exactly where you want to listen.

Quote:

3) If I'm understanding correctly, the headphone should be plugged in at all times when warming up the amp, or else it's harmful. Is this correct?

to echo what was said above, it depends on the amp.
on some amps it is harmful to the headphones, on others it dosnt matter, and on others still the headphones must be plugged in at all times when there is power.

There are a couple amps I would put into the first camp. most OTL tube amps, and a bunch of SS gear.
The 6 is in the middle camp: do whatever you want.
The last camp has very few occupants, fewer than most people think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back