So, the Objective2 headphone amp - designed entirely around the measurements? (PLEASE READ RULES BEFORE POSTING)
Aug 16, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #451 of 1,042
Gain, shmain. Can it be shoved in an altoids tin and sold for 50$ on ebay? No? Then I have no desire to buy it.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #453 of 1,042
I've removed part of my post. Sorry, but it is frustrating to see people trying to make intelligent discussion about this amp yet have numerous peanut gallery replies to those people with genuine knowledge.  I'm going to leave it alone entirely from here. Good luck everyone getting something sane out of this.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #454 of 1,042
I would be interested to see some A/B comparisons with this amp, especially some blind A/B comparisons. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #455 of 1,042
Quote:
I would be interested to see some A/B comparisons with this amp, especially some blind A/B comparisons. 

You are going to look forward to this weekend, I promise I'll stop being lazy now ^^, all the hostility in this thread kinda puts me off from doing anything, that, and I've been a busy little bugger the past couple of days with no free time.
frown.gif

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #457 of 1,042
Very interested in this, but I don't know how to build my own.  I hope once it gets some testing, some enterprising individual will decide to start selling them pre-made.

Now we need an Objective DAC. :)

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #460 of 1,042

Quote:

Now we need an Objective DAC. :)

NwAvGuy said that probably won't happen. It's a lot trickier to design a DAC than an amp, and there are already well engineered DACs on the market at fair price. He mentioned the Behringer DAC a few times, and although that alone isn't suitable to drive most headphones due to high internal impedance, the O2 presents a 10 kOhm load, which negates the side effects of internal impedance.

I'd say Computer -> Behringer -> O2 would make a sweet setup.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #461 of 1,042

Quote:

As long as people will be comparing it agains the big boys, toss in a couple cheaper amps like the e5 and a well made cmoy, and also directly off source when listening to an easily driven headphone.

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #462 of 1,042

Quote:

I, for one, would be interested in reading your A/B comparisons. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #463 of 1,042

Quote:

apples and oranges, but i have a M3 here with a gain of 8x.  i sat down for a listen this evening with my K702 and BM DAC1 (2Vrms).  with the pot mounted with pointer at about 7:30, i am hitting 2-2:30 with my ECM label recordings (new or old recordings) and the same for a couple of the Steely Dan albums i tried.  measured dB was 85 peaks with an analog Radio Shack meter stuck through a piece of cardboard to cover the driver housing.

That's interesting.  Any idea what the relative dB difference is between those 'quiet' albums and louder albums at the same volume pot setting?  I think if we could come up with a reasonable range of 'headroom' needed for various recording levels, we could come up with some solid Low/High gain recommendations for this and other amps.

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #465 of 1,042

Quote:
Any idea what the relative dB difference is between those 'quiet' albums and louder albums at the same volume pot setting?  I think if we could come up with a reasonable range of 'headroom' needed for various recording levels, we could come up with some solid Low/High gain recommendations for this and other amps.

12-20db of headroom is the general rule of thumb. 
Quote:
Or you could simply use Replaygain. :wink:

Until it runs into digital clipping. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back