So the NEW Dr Dre Beats Solo HD came out just a while ago...
May 13, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #16 of 228
First, Beats are sexy. Never said it was going to get you ladies. And if you think bout it, look at how many of you are not in support of beats. so IMO, on this site, Audio Technica is bandwagon. I did not mean to "insult" the other chap up there but I was just so sick of ppl thinking they are superior in some way just because they listen to headphones that are respected within this forum site.

May 13, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #17 of 228
Think about 'why' it's respected? Also childish talk doesn't help eh.

'professional, 'audiophile' headphones is such a bad term and causes unneeded division as really, we all got the same ears.
Head-fi is generally unbias and tbh, Monster does get praise here in it's high-end in-ears and how they compare to the competition. 
People hear generally don't give a crap about brand. If a product is good, a product is good. If a product is bad, a product is bad. People have trashed on 'established' brands before here.

May 13, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #19 of 228
Lol you are funny guy mate. I never said I'm superior to anyone else because I'm listening to STAX and they are listening to Beats. All my friends are listening to Bose, Skull Candy and Beats and the only thing I say to them is "All you need is to give other headphones than those in Best Buy a shot. Then you may realize. There is no golden ears. Just trained or untrained". I never say or think bad about anyone because what they are wearing or using.

My opinion about Beats is just opinion and don't take it personally. Beauty is in the eyes of beholders. I love leather and wood and vintage looking when it comes to headphones (I'm 25 btw) so headphones like Beats, which is in red and have a shiny B letter on each cup look childish to me. And those plastic parts are not sturdy at all.

And btw I'm not in AT bandwagon. I wish but I can't afford a decent one atm. My example of AT is just an example of how good sounding cans look so good.

May 13, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #20 of 228
umm.. i second that the beats look very stylish. i've listened to them and they're not bad.. just way too overpriced. i respect StyleAddict's opinions because unlike the rest of head-fi, his opinions are his own and doesn't go along with what everyone else says. I read posts here on head-fi every day about headphones, and everyone always says the same damn thing about the popular headphones on this site. no one ever talks about the beats because people on this forum who are proud about their $500 Sennheisers would squash any attempt for a "childish" looking headphone to be placed in the likes of the Sennheisers and Audio-technicas in the world.

I have not heard of the new beats, but would sample them in an apple store if I had the chance, because that's what audiophiles do, they listen to headphones openly without any bias to any particular brands.

May 13, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #21 of 228

Quote:
umm.. i second that the beats look very stylish. i've listened to them and they're not bad.. just way too overpriced. i respect StyleAddict's opinions because unlike the rest of head-fi, his opinions are his own and doesn't go along with what everyone else says. I read posts here on head-fi every day about headphones, and everyone always says the same damn thing about the popular headphones on this site. no one ever talks about the beats because people on this forum who are proud about their $500 Sennheisers would squash any attempt for a "childish" looking headphone to be placed in the likes of the Sennheisers and Audio-technicas in the world.

I have not heard of the new beats, but would sample them in an apple store if I had the chance, because that's what audiophiles do, they listen to headphones openly without any bias to any particular brands.

If you take a look at some first page in a Beats thread that opened in 2008 I think, you will see that people here don't hate it for no reason. The Beasts were much anticipated just like anything here. They just don't live up to the hype and that's it. Why I have to hate the Beats? I have nothing to do with people wearing them, at all. It's just when you are in a community where people share hobby and EXPERIMENT some of us will feel guilty if we don't warn people about headphones like Beats because what people here said cannot be read elsewhere. Just warn people, not trash them ok? After all if you or anyone still love it then it's each of his own.

And of course everyone will give Beats a shot if one see them in Best Buy. I did that plenty times already. Pay for one however, is a different game.

May 13, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #22 of 228
I like the Beats, personally, they are just over priced. That being said, I think they look good but I don't like the all-plastic build. I've seen so many in stores that were cracked from people trying them.

I'm also pretty sure there are some headphones from some of the other top guys that are just as overpriced for what you get in actuality, especially if you buy them in a brick and mortar.

May 13, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #24 of 228
I'll take the beats studio over the denon 1001 that I had based on sound(and I'm an analytical guy). And if Beats are tacky, then what word would you use to describe the look of HD800. I think both are great looking, but that's just me.

May 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #26 of 228
I've had the Monster Beats Solos before... I (28) loved the look of it when I had them and my gf (24) really liked the look of it too... notice the use of past tense...
Was on holiday and they broke as I boarded the plane... that was pretty annoying considering I had no other earphones / headphones with me for the whole trip... and I didn't really know what you guys were referring to regarding the bad quality / lack of durability until I got my hands onto my pair of ES10 last night.

I think (and I bloody hell hope) these ES10s last me longer than the Solos did (6 months, weekend use only).

BTW my gf tried very hard to convince me to get wait for the Solo HDs coz she liked the look... but I guess reading this forum and having listened for myself a range of headphones like the grados to the HD25 and ES10s... I think I'm happy with my switch... add durability and superior sound quality.

Just my 2c
James

May 13, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #27 of 228

Quote:
I'll take the beats studio over the denon 1001 that I had based on sound(and I'm an analytical guy). And if Beats are tacky, then what word would you use to describe the look of HD800. I think both are great looking, but that's just me.

That's not a surprise. I will take the Beats any day of a week if the only other headphone I can choose is a Sennheiser from a friend that I had a chance to audit. I cannot remember which Sennheiser it is but it is a supra aural and it sounds really bad. I guess it's $30-ish.

Thing is with $300 you can do a lot more better things than buying a Beats.

And btw HD800 is not known for its beauty AFAIK
wink.gif

May 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #28 of 228

Quote:
That's not a surprise. I will take the Beats any day of a week if the only other headphone I can choose is a Sennheiser from a friend that I had a chance to audit. I cannot remember which Sennheiser it is but it is a supra aural and it sounds really bad. I guess it's $30-ish.

Thing is with $300 you can do a lot more better things than buying a Beats.

And btw HD800 is not known for its beauty AFAIK
wink.gif

Completely agreed with you can do better with 300(that's why I have the HD600, ain't nothing wrong with this pair! oh...ok, slightly recessed mids). But I mean the beats are stylish and even though I wouldn't call most of the audiophile selection at $300 bad looking(I like the look of HD 600 and 650) but they are certainly more "boring" than the Beats. And the sound is on par with most $100-$150 headphones I believe.

And we'll just agree to disagree with the HD800.

Just for an example, would you say the Beats studio(I didn't care for the sound of the solo) sounds better than the Shure 440? I certainly thought so, also much more comfortable.

May 14, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #29 of 228
Err I will try not to bias on your question. Let's me put it this way:

In October 2009 I have no idea about headphone, not at all so although I do love music to death and I actually play some instruments I have no idea about how good sounding music can be. I was looking for a replacement for my lost iBud so I read most popular Google result on headphone (aka Head-Fi). I don't know why but what I read back then made me thought Beats are awesome headphones. I didn't have a ton of $ so I went with the best I can get: Shure SRH440. After a few weeks I went to Best Buy and WOW! There were Beats all over place, the headphone I always wanted to try. I eagerly put on a demo one which was plugged to a table playing some 50 cents songs I think. But guess what. It sounded really bad. My heart was broken and my eyes were full of tears. I could not know why it can sound that bad. I asked my friend who came along with me on that day to hear his opinion. He said it's bad. I said hey I think so but there must be something wrong with this one (not fully burnt-in?) because they are good headphones. I actually refused to believe Beats are bad but there's no brainer here: I prefer my Shure SRH440.

After sometimes when I had a lot more headphones and when I know a lot more about sounds (which made me realized that SRH440 is not the best out there, lack of low bass, harsh treble etc...) I gave Beats a lot more shots but it failed to catch my taste. I *think* I still prefer SRH440 (note the word *think* because I no longer have the Shure anymore).

There is one possibility: The rig at Best Buy sucks. But my experiment with Beats stands correct.

May 14, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #30 of 228
Thanks for the detailed reply. I disagree(had both on the same setup) but then again I really just hated the 440.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back